1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Handheld torches 1.1

Torches you can hold

1. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cyel submitted a new mod:

Handheld torches - Torches you can hold

Read more about this mod...

2. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

Very cool mod..
    But can make one that act like a real torch?
    I mean that cannot be placed and get turn of after some minutes!

3. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think having it not be placeable would probably lead to kind-of-annoying confusions between the item-torch and the object-torch, and while I considered the "turn off after some time" part, I decided against it, as placed torches stay on forever

4. amirmiked12

i found this a bug.
    when using grappling hook or rope and having torch in hand, i cant turn my face left and right without using keys
    but in normal we do this using mouse.this is the problem only with ur torch other things work pretty well..

5. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@amirmiked12 Indeed, I was intending it to be used in the alt hand's slot when in a dual-wield setup, as the primary hand takes precedence for setting a direction. I find that the "change direction using arrow keys" feels more "realistic", but as you noted it breaks gameplay in that situation, I'm fixing that

==

Cyel updated Handheld torches with a new update entry:

Now changes your player's direction depending on your aim when held in primary slot

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. ColonolNutty

ColonolNutty Ketchup Robot

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Cyel likes this.
  7. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldn't say one is "cleaner" than the other, nor that scripts are "less clean", they're just two different approaches ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I still prefer mine for the "shut down in water" gimmick and being able to place it + preview, and using a weaponability for the stances seem pretty hacky, but it's a clever way of doing it!

(Weaponabilities still "use scripts" tho (here, meleecombo.lua), even if you didn't wrote it)

8. ColonolNutty

My point was, base game scripts aren't the same as adding custom scripts. With that said, the way you've done it for water and placing, I'm not seeing another way you could have done it *shrug*

9. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah it's not the same but the same goes for adding anything that isn't "base game"? Items, weaponabilities etc

10. ColonolNutty

What do you think of it now? Goes against what I said above about custom scripts, but, eh :)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  11. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty neat, I really like the fire-y swoosh! I find it just a bit awkard to swap placement mode on/off, but I guess that should more be discussed in your mod's discussion page :rofl:

12. ColonolNutty

13. amirmiked12

is it compatible with
    CN - Animated Handheld Torches

14. ColonolNutty

I'd say my mod contains everything within this

15. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Indeed, they're pretty similar, the only things that might not work together are recipes, as my mod's patching the vanilla torch recipe to replace it with mine