Modding Help Vanity Armor Modding Help

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by OldDeadOne, Jul 11, 2017.

1. OldDeadOne

OldDeadOne Void-Bound Voyager

Hello!
    Lately i begun thinking about modding Starbound. I'm interested in creating a custom Vanity Armor and a few weapons (Terminator Armour from 40k / WH40k various weapons / Destiny weapons etc)
    Can anyone help me with a good tutorial on how to create the assets for the game. I want the armor to have no stats and to be crafted at one of the crafting stations. The sprites will be created by me, but i can't really find how to add them to the game.
    Thank you very much!

2. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

You want to use vanilla weapon abilities and particles or create new ones?

3. OldDeadOne

I might need to create new ones. Wich would be simpler for a beginner? And also, i'm more interested in making hte vanity armor first. I think that would be the easyest to do first time, to understand adding the assets in the game. Thank you for replying!

4. Qbi Wan

Definitely using vanilla abilities is easier.
    But if you want armor first you can use vanilla files. Change parameters in .head .chest and .legs files, switch .png with your own and done.

5. OldDeadOne

Thank you! Now i need to know how to do this.. I'm an absolute beginner on Starbound Modding.

6. Qbi Wan

Have you opened these files? Use Atom for this, it's good (there's thread about it somewhere). There you'll have different values to change.

7. OldDeadOne

I've never opened these files. I will try to search some more about how it's done...since, as i said, i'm completly new to this.

8. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

@OldDeadOne

0. Download the Unnoficial Modding Ebook. It says it's update to 1.05, but most things there still apply in 1.3.

1. You will have to learn how to unpack vanilla's assets. Have you done that already? The ebook teaches how to that on its page 8.

2. Now, have a look at the /items/armors and /items/active/weapons folders, inside the unpacked assets. Those are the vanilla armors and weapons. You can mess with then how much you want, your game assets are safe elsewhere. If you do something very bad, just unpack the assets again.

3. Also, you may want to download some of the armory mods already existent, both here and at Steam, unpack them if needed and have a look at how they handle their stuff.

4. Do what @Qbi Wan said.
    To do that, create a new folder somewhere in your computer, name it yourmod (actually, give it a better name, I'll use this one here to explain how it works). Now, have a look at what I have written in this post. Although it is about sound effects, same principles apply to any type of asset in Starbound modding.

5. When you have decided what to mod, copy those assets from the vanilla folders to your mod's one. Edit then to reflect the results you want. Rename them in a unique way (best practice around this community is adding a prefix, like, all my stuff have cpe_ attached to them) so they will not conflict with anything else (see the post I linked in step 4).

6. Create a metadata file (see ebook's page 12).

7. Copy the yourmod folder and the entire structure under it to your Starbound/mods folder.

8. Start the game and see how it works. Notice that you have to completely leave and close the game and come back. Just exiting to the menu screen will not work.

9. Unless you are very lucky or exceptionally good at programming, things will probably not work right on your first attempt. Learn how to use starbound.log to debug your creation.

10. Rinse, repeat.

Foot note: You may want to read some of the sites linked from this post. Though most of them are not up to date, they may give you a general idea on where to go from here.

Hope you keep your excitement about modding. It may seem hard at first, but it's actually quite simple after you climb the first steps of the learning stair.

9. cpeosphoros

Ah, as an afterthought, about the out of date tutorials, modding was harder before 1.3, since many functionalities we have now were not available - mostly api calls for scripting. So, sometimes reading the old guides is good in order to learn some tricks that may be used to circumvent some limitations that are still in place, or have came up with the new functionalities.

10. OldDeadOne

Thank you very much! I'll start trying right away!

11. cpeosphoros

Any time. If you need some more help, just shout.

OldDeadOne likes this.