RELEASED [SMAPI] Skill Prestige Mod

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by Alphablackwolf, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

I don't know how to code. I have both mods I just want to put them together along with the cooking one. But I don't know how, would you mind helping me with that?

• Alphablackwolf

Alphablackwolf Void-Bound Voyager

What do you mean by put them together?

• Alphablackwolf

Alright, I've got work in 6 hours, so I'm done for today, but I've got a 'Painless Prestige Mode' added. I still need to test and tweak the new setting in the settings menu, and the prestige button disabling behavior/hover text. I also fixed a problem with the set experience command overlapping incorrectly with the prestige point experience bonus. Depending on how free my evenings end up, I'll get it out later this week.

Edit: Oh yeah, how it works: Once enabled, you can prestige just like you do today, only it will require that you have at least the amount of experience in your settings ABOVE the 15000 needed to reach level 10. (The default experience needed is another 15000) - once you prestige it subtracts whatever experience was needed from your total and then gives you a prestige point. The end result is you won't see a level drop or lose any levels or recipes (even if you have the reset recipes checked) but you will lose experience that wasn't needed. e.g. if you had 41,000 farming xp, and were set to need 15000 to prestige, you would end up with 26,000 farming xp and 1 prestige point. You would then need to amass another 4,000 xp in order to prestige again. OR you could then turn off painless mode and prestige again immediately, resetting to zero. This would also allow you to recover some value out of extra experience in a skill.

I could not implement an automatic increase in prestige points and still have the mode able to be turned on and off or have the amount needed to prestige be adjustable, so this method is the compromise I made. I think it gives you what most people are looking for in a no-sacrifice mode without being immensely buggy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
        • Coolwyngs

Don't they need to be in one folder to work?

• Alphablackwolf

They just need to each be in the SMAPI Mods folder. Each mod is loaded independently. If you have the Luck Skill, the Cooking Skill, the Skill Prestige Mod, and the SkillPrestigeCookingAdapter mods all in the Mods folder used by SMAPI, you will have a game with the additional luck and cooking skills, which will work with the Skill Prestige Mod.

• Coolwyngs

Okay thank you for telling me. I did not understand.

• Alphablackwolf

No problem, you are welcome! If you have any further questions, I recommend looking at the SMAPI thread which also has download links and links to the SMAPI wiki/instructions.

• Coolwyngs

Okay thank you

• Alphablackwolf

Well *that* wasn't easy. The way SDV draws numbers is horrendous, confusing, and incredibly frustrating to compensate for. Not for the last time I wish I could send code updates to ConcernedApe. I'd love to modernize and standardize his code base, it would make modding a breeze, and easily supported natively. *sigh* But I digress. After a ton of tinkering with the settings menu I finally have the Painless Prestige mode ready for primetime. Version 1.2.0 released!

• Alphablackwolf

Whelp, v2.0 progress continues. I've been routinely updating the first post in this thread with my progress. Feel free to hit me up on the modding portion of the discord channel, I'm on there a lot now. I expect as early as next week I'll be looking for a few alpha testers if anyone wants to test and provide feedback.

• Aurorialis

Aurorialis Pangalactic Porcupine

Just wanted to pop by and say I really appreciate the longevity this adds to the game. Amazing work!

• TekDragon

TekDragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Agreed. It is amazing how Prestige wrapped itself around my short term and long term goals in-game. Playing without it, I think I'd burn out in Winter Y1.

• TekDragon

TekDragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[EDIT] Nevermind, got it to work and it was my own fault. When downloading the new version of Prestige I was copying back in my old Data file (to preserve the prestige points I had earned), but not doing it carefully. In the process I was wiping out the Cooking Skill section which wasn't present in the old Data file.

--------

Unfortunately I just realized that Prestige is not working with Cooking Skill. I have the latest version of Cooking Skill, SpaceCore, and Prestige, but I'm not getting the gold medallion next to my Cooking Skill. Please let me know if there's any information I can provide to help resolve this.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
                            • Mylestone

Mylestone Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey there, love the mod, adds so much replay value. Have one request though. Would you be able to add a visual feature to denote the amount of experience required for the next level? Similar to the Experience Bars mod but allows visuals past level 10 (The experience bars mod UI vanishes as soon as a skill levels past 10)

Thanks

• PabloManfredini

PabloManfredini Void-Bound Voyager

I wanted to know how to earn points.

• DungeonRyu

DungeonRyu Phantasmal Quasar

Is there a way to unprestige a skill, via editing a savefile I presume?

• JoeShmo

JoeShmo Void-Bound Voyager

It's unfortunate that this mod has been relatively "silent" for the last 7ish months, considering there was additional ( ver 2 ) content on the way that would have been great ( something to do after the first 10 points ).

I'm guessing Alpha went insane after the first round or two of testing, rather than towards the end ( like he envisioned )

• Alphablackwolf

Hah, no, not completely insane. You can blame the following things for my absence:
                                      1) AMD having horribly shitty drivers that burned out my motherboard and then refused to play nice with the new one.
                                      2) cryptocurrency miners, who drove up the price of new graphics cards that I needed in order to get my development rig running. I couldn't afford the $1800 for the new card I needed :( now that it's finally down in price I bought a new card.
                                      3) me going partly insane trying to dynamically replace the game's code at run time. I ran into some complex issues around how C# compiles. I have been working for months to resolve that when I have the chance, pestering a lot of people at work for their knowledge (unsuccessfully, nobody could figure it out)

A couple of weeks ago I had a breakthrough on figuring out what the problem is, so I'm hopeful that either I'll be able to figure that out, or that a better solution came out in the new SDV code or the new SMAPI versions that fixes my original problem.

paxchristos, hwayunhae and SarahSyna like this.
                                      • bugmenever

bugmenever Phantasmal Quasar

Please update this mod for the 1.3 beta! :V

• tristesse1

tristesse1 Void-Bound Voyager

i hope someone can revive this thread and the mod