Favourite Sound Effects?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seismothesaurus, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was watching some videos about game sound design and it reminded me of a recent conversation here about how many of us find the berry harvesting ploop to be really satisfying. I feel like soundtracks get a lot of love, but sound effects in games can be underappreciated, so... thread!

Some of my favourite sounds:
    • Berry/coffee harvest, of course
    • NPC dialogue text filling out
    • Loved gift reaction (the sound that accompanies the heart bubble)
    • Watering can refilling - kaTHUNK!
    • Exploding a slime ball in the hutch
    • Hotbar scrolling blip
    • And of course getting a Stardrop; it's so dramatic

So what are y'alls favourite sounds?

Marco93 likes this.
    • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

The rain! I love the sound of rain, even irl, it's so calming.
      And I love the sound of harvesting berries and the hotbar scrolling too.

Other sounds I like are from the horse, both the whoop of getting on/off the horse as well as the galloping sound.
      The sound when you move over the options when have options to pick from is so good too. You know like "Eat this *blank item* Yes? No?" or the options in character dialogues and cutscenes, that kind of thing.
      The junimos! Ohmygoodness, they're so cute *meep meep* <3
      The sound when you submit items to the CC bundles. It's a really satisfying sound.
      The NPC walking sound. Sounds like they're all wearing soggy boots! *Squish squish squish* :D

Hmm, that's what I can think of off the top of my head right now.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

The seasonal nature sounds, like the hushed cricket-chirping of nightfall, the gusting wind or the distant cackle of a murder of crows in Autumn. The distant call of the seabirds when at the shoreline.

On a more earthy note, the gritty noise of digging a furrow with your hoe seems oddly satisfying.

If you select bats for your farm cave, the pips and chirps as they whirl overhead-- it's the same noises as bats in the Mines, of course, but far less threatening.

And speaking of the mines, that eerie drone as fog rises around you just before a swarm of flying critters, when faint rustlings and restless noises surround you just off-screen. Spooky.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Junimo squeeks are definitely my top fave.

I also like the aforementioned ploop sound, and the squishing slime sound, especially when you wipe out a whole pile of them at once. >u<

And weirdly enough, the strange noises when it rains. I've never associated them with anything dark and creepy, I always think of rain or water spirits.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
          • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I love all the sound effect except for one - the sound of eating. I hate this one with passion but I do it in rl too. I can't stand it, if I hear someone eating or even worse, if someone drinks and your hear the swallowing sound. It drives me nuts.
            I know, I'm strange, but this has also a name. I just can't remember it.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

Many of my favourites were already mentioned. I just wanted to say that I liked Emily's old 4 heart event music. You know....before she became a marriageable single with colourful cutscenes.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ha, it's so different. I started playing after 1.1, so it's interesting to see what was there for Emily and Shane before.

• wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

The fishing and panning nodes sound like water lapping against the shore. I play my river farms with the music turned low so I can enjoy those FX. Somehow they make the scene less static, even when the visuals aren't moving.

I also love the woodpecker's tapping. Getting one on the farm is always such a treat because I can listen while I putter.

• cocoman111

cocoman111 Tentacle Wrangler

The sound birds and bats make when they flap their wings. I don't know, I just like it.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I always have such a little giggle whenever I hear the squishypants walk sound. :laugh:
                      And the first female toon I made, when she did the Linus bait cutscene... yeah... that was pretty darn awkward... I almost felt like I needed to run her home to take a shower! :eek: :D

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Poor Emily. She doesn't realise that there isn't a single shower in the whole of Stardew Valley.

Seismothesaurus and sunlite like this.
                        • ksera

ksera Aquatic Astronaut

I like the sounds the cat makes when walking. And the duck quack!

Seismothesaurus and wronghandle like this.
                          • springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

I like the sound bunnies make when you pet them. And the duck quack.

wronghandle and Seismothesaurus like this.
                            • wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

The bunny noise! I named one of my rabbits Sniffer.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

swr.png

Not entirely true! Though since they don't seem to work perhaps it's only an ornamental shower. :poke:

sunlite likes this.
                                • Stagnetti

Stagnetti Space Hobo

It took me awhile to place the bird sound that sings, Is it a Kauai 'O'o song?

Aaesos likes this.
                                  • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Ugh, hateeeeeee public showers. Not to mention there's literally THREE showerheads. What if you were showering and then another NPC awkwardly shows up and then showers right next to you? :wot:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
                                    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I thought of another one I like. The plop sound of a startled frog jumping in the water when you get too close. The first time I saw it happen I was so tickled that CA included it, since frogs really are this flighty. >u<

wronghandle and Seismothesaurus like this.
                                      • Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's exactly what communal showers are for. :rofl:

springacres and Jerev like this.
                                        • springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

It's also why you leave your swimsuit on when you're in one of those types of showers.