1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Kawa's xbawks-mode character creator 3.8.1

T̶w̶e̶n̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶i̶x̵ thirty-six oughta be enough for now.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Good on you for finding out the issue yourself.

jonathonspy likes this.
  2. DragonOmnus

DragonOmnus Void-Bound Voyager

This mod break for anybody else with the Starbound 1.3 update? Game crashes for me immediately after the Chucklefish intro plays if I put this & any custom race in the mods folder. Put this in the mods folder but no custom race, the game launches fine. Put other mods in, game launches fine & uses the mods. It appears something in the 1.3 update broke this mod's functionality. Any ideas, Kawa?

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Runs fine for me. I have the entire Firrhna project + xbawks + frackin'universe. No crashes or anything whatsoever.

4. DragonOmnus

Aha. Kawa updated the Felins mod a few days ago, so I downloaded it & tested again, works fine. The Felin mod was 1 of the custom races I tested which caused the game to crash (yes, I tested several), yet it wasn't xbawks but the race mods themselves. Now I must simply wait for the others to update.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, Kawa had Felins ready to go on Day One of 1.3, lol. I literally booted my game up, like, within an hour of the game being updated to 1.3 and it booted fine.

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'd hate to toot my own floot, but eh... yeah, I guess I do have a bit of a reputation for being quick to updoot. More like I had it ready to go on day minus two, haha. Literally saw 1.3 coming in and had the mod uploader primed to run right there. The repo copy was already online, just not actually listed.

Toot toot~

7. DragonOmnus

That's the funny thing. When I got 1.3 & 1st booted, it crashed. So I checked the handful of mods I use for updates (which included Felins), but didn't see any. That was day 1, shortly after 1.3 dropped. I didn't see a version difference until I checked the Felins version from my initial download against the new version, meaning the actual .zip folder download which included the version #, not the extracted "felins" folder which didn't, but it was the only mod which was updated AND the only mod I needed to check the original .zip to get the version for. I'll be adding the version # to all my extracted mods from now on. Problem solved. :)

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Could just get the workshop version...

Felins (like the entire Firrhna Project) is pretty solid and maintained well, so I trust @Kawa enough to use the Workshop version of their mods. If you do that, you will automatically download updates that they release and you'll always be up-to-date and other than very minor issues (like the mech problem that was there for awhile), you should be good to go.

I've not had a single hiccup (again, barring the mech thing which is so minor it's barely worth mentioning) since I downloaded it. As soon as they release an update (as long as I'm not playing at the time), bam. Steam downloads it within 5 seconds. I don't have to touch a thing.

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I highly recommend the workshop version.

10. DragonOmnus

Man I hate it when people make assumptions, like assuming everybody bought some game through Steam. Sorry, but I use GOG as much as possible because it's a MUCH better service than Steam. So, no, I *can't* get it through the Steam Workshop.
    This assumption people constantly make almost annoys me as much as the people who buy some game on Steam but still in Alpha, then bitch about all the features it's missing. In Alpha. I wish those people would pull their heads out.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I suggest getting the Workshop version because automatic updates, without having to remove stragglers. Something this source can't do.

Every time I update the workshop version of any of my mods, I update the file you'd get if you download it from here as well. I can do that because I host them myself, but that does mean you have to find out there's an update and download it it, remove the old version, and install the new.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

GOG is a "MUCH better service" but yet it is lacking something like Workshop that makes modding ridiculously easy to do.

ya.... okay. If you say so.

GOG also takes longer to receive game updates too sometimes, but whatever. *shrugs*

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

To be fair, that sounds more like a matter of Steam being more popular and easier to release updates on, so it gets updated earlier. Think "Windows version first, Mac later"

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

But then, if GOG were "So MUCH better" then why is Steam much more popular? lol

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I know, right? I mean, I don't want to sound insulting towards DragonOmnus and such, but yeah. It's like... I can't even think of a fitting comparison here.

But let's not continue shitting on GOG and such. DragonOmnus made his choice. He made his bed, now he's gotta sleep in it. With delays and manual updates.

16. DragonOmnus

You can shit on it all you want. Doesn't mean I'm not correct. What you're doing is like comparing an infant to an adult. Steam is much older than GOG, which is why GOG is still missing some features Steam has, but they are working on them. However, the underlying mechanics of GOG are 10x better than Steam, which means when GOG is a fully grown adult, it will kick Steam's ass in every way. I'm fine waiting. Further, while manual updates can cause problems now & then, I prefer them. What if I don't want the new update? What if the new update causes more problems than it's worth? I learned this lesson 2 decades ago thanks to Windows Automatic Updates, and I've learned it repeatedly with many other things, including automatic game updates on Steam. So, between the 2 choices, I prefer manual updates which allow me to decide how my stuff works. And, like Kawa said, you complaining about how much longer it takes for GOG to get updates is irrelevant because it's up to the devs to decide when to push updates to Steam or GOG.

17. DragonOmnus

And about I must sleep in the bed I made, with delays & manual updates... I already covered being fine with manual updates, but I'm also fine with delays. When all my friends ran out to buy Skyrim on day 1, I waited several years to buy the complete edition, with all DLC, for a whopping $13. Waiting isn't a problem for me when it means I get 4-10x as much for my dollar. Waiting does seem to be a problem for almost everybody else today, though, as I mentioned in my earlier comment about all the idiots who buy games still in Alpha & then bitch about how incomplete they are and demand all the features they want the game to have to make it be complete be implemented yesterday. And I mean that literally, as a few days ago I read a post from somebody bitching about a game in Alpha not having enough content to keep him interested so he wanted the devs to implement the features he wanted "yesterday". People these days have 0 patience. It's idiotic. And it's mostly thanks to Steam giving you access to games while they're being developed. Double-edged sword, that. Works great for somebody like me. Not so great for most people.

18. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG] Automatic updates vs manual updates

Projects have a best version over their lifespan, which is usually not the last version.

When a mod starts updating with "features" that are costs and nerfs and other things described as balancing out the benefits of using the mod, then the mod is over the hill and on it's way down. The best version of the project is already a matter of history.

And that's why I don't subscribe to automatic updates.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

This is so irrelevant it hurts.

This mod, which this thread is supposed to be about, has always grown. Never has a feature been nerfed or removed just because I felt like it. More slots, a slight rearrangement to fit new checkboxes, but never a step back.

Stay on topic or sit down.

Xylia likes this.
  20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

The concept of GOG is good as a hub for game pirating and people who were screwed over by Windows Update and have deep, emotional scars due to it, but I don't really see how it's supposed to beat Steam. Even if it had instant multiplayer, a nice UI, a downloadable program, a real logo, a friends system, good website design, game community hubs, mod workshops, etc. it still wouldn't be good as Steam because it'd just be another one thing that's the same as Steam users are already playing but without all of their games.