Why aren't there any families or children NPCs?

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by RyanBurgers, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RyanBurgers

RyanBurgers Void-Bound Voyager

I believe there should be children in villages and cities because it would add to the towns. Maybe they would look at you like: " Wow a spaceship pilot!" and they would be a smaller version of their family and have a different voice. It would be a great addition.

2. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

While this would be a great addition to the game it is unfortunate that this would take a ton of coding that I don't think they would care to do. Also only a few of the races could have children since Glitch are created at adulthood and Novakid don't have children. So I guess that would lessen the workload a bit.

3. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

There was a kids mod some time back. I think it stopped being supported though.

4. KingDragonMage

KingDragonMage Void-Bound Voyager

this in my opinion is a very good idea. i would like to see little aliens running throughout a village. also there is a kid for the first mission, the child floran.

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  5. Mirroruniverse

Mirroruniverse Void-Bound Voyager

Nuru mentions in one of her banters that she's 17 summers old, she's hardly a child by human standards. Another problem with children is: how do you handle firestorms / meteor swarms / homicidal players? Invincible children watching their town and everyone in it get destroyed? Or destroyable child npcs, which would open another can of worms... Perhaps not suited for a light-hearted game. I'd love to see children in a happy context though, it's what I build my colonies towards: to provide a place for humans to live and repopulate! :nuruhappy:

6. Messyart

Messyart Starship Captain

Allowing kids in games where players can kill people is tricky in many countries. :p

7. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe kids could appear as our colonists get maried. So instead of paying for 1, they first pay for 2 (the wife/husband) then they pay for 3 or 4 people (their kids). That would deppend on how big is the house you gave them in first place. The colony would feel sooo alive this way... Maybe the kids could be playing around, runing and even exploring dangerous places, so you recieve a quest to rescue them. They could be imortal, and if your colonist (their dad/mom) dies, the entire family realocates (vanish) and you have to start again.

This would make colonies more lucrative, and would add motivation to complete their quests, so they can "upgrade".

8. TheTimeWulf

TheTimeWulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If that were to be the case, perhaps the children could just zip away. Maybe they get teleported out of the colony like their parents teleported in, to the outpost for example, and then children aren't involved.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It would take very little coding. Most of the work would be sprite work.

10. Bersalius

So, why we still don't have them even mentioned? Any chance a DevTeam Member can send us some light in this idea? Do you guys have any plan to improve Colonies?

11. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Because there's only 2 options when it comes with dealing with children in most games: Either they're not shown, or they can't die; and do you want potentially obnoxious NPCs to be unable to die?

12. Bersalius

I agree that Children shoudn't appear randomly in villages. My point here is that they should appear in colonies by "upgrading" the colonists. So, if you don't want them, just don't "upgrade" or remove the colony deed.

13. lazarus78

Would having children benefit the game in any meaningful way? Not really. They would be purely an "immersion" thing. Its understandable why they weren't really considered, since the focus of the game doesnt involve them.

14. Bersalius

Good point. Anyway, I just wonder if they plan to improve the Colonies... Right now they are not very produtive (I can't be everywhere taking the taxes), and not very fun (just random ppl around with very limited interactions)... This Children thing was some hope for me, but not something I would die for.

15. IxFa

They might be cute. That's meaningful to me.
    Hopefully some modders pick up the torch on that front again.

16. lazarus78

I said meaningful to the game.

17. IxFa

They game can't understand meaning, silly.
    Only the players can derive meaning from it.
    Computer can't think in abstract ways like "meaning" yet! That'd be a weird feature to program too.

18. Bersalius

Well, for me, the Colony is an important part of the game, and if Children can add to that, why not?

19. lazarus78

Not sure if trolling at this point.

20. IxFa

Only mild trolling, but the core point stands. I'm a player of the game. If an addition is meaningfully improving my experience, then that's what matters. Player experience. There is no feature "meaningful to the game" without that.
    Maybe you mean "Does it meaningfully benefit <insert mechanic here>?" If so, then you have a real argument. Children won't make gear progression better, they don't have any baring on that... It very well may be meaningfully beneficial to colonies and perhaps even ships if you can get them there. Go full-on Fritz's Magic School-Bus with a bunch of kids on board. All sorts of stuff. Be like the Starship Enterprise where your crew have their own families on board.

You can't argue that there isn't a meaningful benefit to the 'game', only to specific areas of the game which may or may not be the focus of other players.

SamaelMarlowe likes this.