1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing 8th Race and what I hope the next race is!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Slime_Fan, Sep 1, 2017.

?

Would you want to have a Slime race in starbound?

1. Yes

40.9%
  2. No

38.6%
  3. Eh

34.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Slime_Fan

Slime_Fan Space Hobo

I haven't really looked to find what other evidence there is towards the 8th race being anything, but I really hope it's an official Slime Race. :meowlcome:

As you can probably tell I am a big fan of creatures often known as "Slime" throughout all of video games, including Terraria, Starbound, Dragon Quest, Slime Rancher (Surprising right?), and my favorite Pokemon are Ditto and the entirety of the Goomy evolution.

But aren't there mods for that sort of thing?

I understand that there are mods for things such as the Slime Race Mod (https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/slime-race-mod.4563/)
    and the Slimey Cursor Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885800271)
    but I would really like a full blown official Slime Race with their own armor sets, weapons, furniture, and cosmetic items.

They already have a Slime Cosmetic set and some furniture, what else do you want?

While they have added the Slime Mask, Shirt, and Trousers (Along with the furniture of a Bed, Torch, Chair, and Chest)
    I still think there could be so much more when it comes to the aesthetics. I love the colors they use on the cosmetics and furniture, but there are only 3 furniture items in the current build of Starbound that relate to slimes.

Imagine a actual block and wall of slime (like the current Slime Glob) but one that looks more similar to how the current items in the game look. In my opinion the Furniture/Cosmetics look very different to the actual in-game Slime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In-game Slime:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slime Furniture:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slime Cosmetic Clothing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what else?

They clearly care enough about the fan base that likes those kind of items, so my only question is: why haven't they added anything else in?

They even have a "Slimy Microformer" which terraforms some of the ground you activate it on, into the Slime Biome. On that note: They even added an entire Slime Biome! C'mon man! Just give us some more furniture and some actually visually appealing blocks to create with.

Get to the point already!

I really want slimes to have their own thing going on in Starbound! Discuss what you want in the comments!

PSA for all: I don't think that Slimes should be the 8th race, I just want them to be. I realize that lore wise it wouldn't make any sense.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. Photoloss

Photoloss Industrial Terraformer

I know this is blatant advertising for the custom race, but ignoring that: what's so special about slimes in the Starbound universe? What niche, role or narrative purpose would they fulfil? We already have the Ancients, Deadbeats, Shadows, Alpacas and probably a couple more I'll get chastised for not mentioning. All actual species (Shadows pending) already established in lore and the Ancients even have a history with the main plot. Why would slimes deserve a spot on the gate over all of them?

3. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

There is no 8th race and there never will be. Nice try hiding your mod advertising

4. Slime_Fan

Slime_Fan Space Hobo

I don't know, I just like slimes, and I didn't create those mods, I don't even know how to lol

Then why would there be an 8th race on the gateway with no face, and again, I did not create those mods

Image for reference:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

When the game was still in beta they released an image of the gate with an 8th race. The race was just a single eyeball in the middle, similar to those chests you find in the vaults. It never made it as a race and was more than likely just a teaser for the lore rewrite, and the race that built the gate.

6. Slime_Fan

Slime_Fan Space Hobo

Dang, well I can still hope lol. Terraria has many Slime-Based furniture so hopefully they'll at least add that :D

7. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Buddy, sorry to break it to you, but the devs clearly said that they won't be adding playable races to the game

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The hole is probably a nod to the non-playable or modded races.

9. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

That wouldn't be surprising, considering Starbound was build from the roots to be moddable

10. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please avoid double posting in such a short time. Use the edit function instead to make additions to your previous post.
    I merged your posts. :nuruhappy:

Regards
    Iris Blanche

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Hahahah, there's no way Slimes would ever be the 8th playable race, you should seriously put that idea to sleep.

If anything, the existence of that cosmetic armour indicates that if they ever were to be implemented, it'd be as an NPC race that you can encounter, but can't play as. Agarans, Alpacas, Deadbeats, Froggs, Shadows already function as a collection of custom outfits and dialogue, and Slimes would be no different.

... Which honestly wouldn't be a bad idea. You should've started with that premise instead, then this thread would've honestly been much better to begin with.

This, basically. There's nothing about Slimes that'd be so special as to make them the 8th race.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you could ask the same question about the other races as many of them lost a lot fluff and "special" after koala

a furfillign role i would see in either the entirely dark race or the ones living on the scorched planets. given those planets are inhabitated by them they must be the remains of HUGE civilisations as planet wide cities seems to be quite a thing of them and not the other races. (ignoring the earth background at that moment). So if any they would make a large part of the SB universe before thier planets fell.

13. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I think the 8th race should be kept as something that is never played. Something like they being the responsible of the first time something nasty came into the universe, got wiped out by it, and got scratches from history because of that.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

hey

hey

not everything needs explaining and backstory and answering

do you want midichlorians?

this is how you get midichlorians

15. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I didn't mind midichlorians.

16. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

You thought limiting the force to an std was a good idea?

17. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Honestly, if we had an 8th race be playable, I'd rather it be pre-existing non-playable races, like Penguins or Fenerox.
    They've both got an established presence in the world, however big or however little, and they both have a pretty unique look compared to all of the others.

Besides, things not being "official" means you can aspire for even greater heights with that mod. I know my squiddos won't ever be official (especially since they're the property of Nintendo haha), but I try to flesh them out enough to make them at least seem somewhat official. You know?

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There wont be any more races, as has been officially stated several times. They take WAY too much work to create.

19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

honestly this si like the unnamed missing Space marine chapters of WH40k, they leave room for every player to create his own part in the otherwise preset universe.

And so youc an simply pretent that 8th race you mod intow as amde of space clowns flying with tiny cars around in space.

20. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Earlier, I actually made a thread Starbound-related theories, including the missing 8th slot!

But yeah - while it might be lore-relevant, it's probably something to deal with Ancients or the Ruin rather than any completely new race altogether.