1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Field Generators 0.9.2

Protect your buildings from tampering

1. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

Pilchenstein submitted a new mod:

Field Generators - Protect your buildings from tampering

Read more about this mod...

2. Pilchenstein

All feedback is welcome but I'm especially interested in hearing how this works on servers.

Technical limitations that I'm aware of:
    • You can't put more than 15,000 generators on a single planet
    • If there are more than around 30,000 regular dungeons on a planet they'll start clashing with shield generators
    • If the generator script crashes for some reason it will probably take one of the 15,000 slots out of commission permanently and leave protection active forever
    • Other mods that mess with protection, define their own dungeons or remove blocks/objects may well bypass the protection (though Base in a Box should behave properly)

3. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

This is excellent! Definitely going to test it out. Other mods that add block protection don't have this much control. And gravity reversal... hee hee, I can see some very fun uses for that. ^_^

4. Pilchenstein

One counter intuitive thing I forgot to mention - if you have a field active that's not providing block protection, changing any of the blocks within the field area will remove them from the field. It's likely to come up if you're building an asteroid base and put down a gravity field before you start building - any areas you build over will lose gravity. Toggling the field off then on again will fix it.

Mooncalf99 likes this.
  5. Alvarol

Alvarol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm in version 1.2 and it just does not work

6. Pilchenstein

Yeah, it relies on API calls that weren't added until 1.3.

7. Alvarol

Alvarol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Snif~~

8. Lapideus

Lapideus Void-Bound Voyager

So if something does screw up and cause a field to persist, is there any way at all to go about fixing that? I tried to move my generator one block and now I'm suddenly getting "overlapping field" errors, even though none of the effects are still active.

Edit: I just switched characters and this is now also happening in an entirely separate instance. I didn't touch the generator or any of the markers, and it was working fine before. Something seems to have broken...

Edit 2: I tried to remove the generator in the second instance and it dropped but the blocks it was disguised with stayed behind and now can't be removed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  9. Pilchenstein

Ack, the camouflage blocks not being removed when you break the generator is a total oversight on my part - I guess it's not possible to put the generator back in that spot now and unhide it either? I'll look into fixing this for you. For the overlapping fields issue, can you remember exactly what you did that caused it to happen? I've been unable to recreate that issue at my end, so any info you can provide would be super useful in fixing it :)

10. Pilchenstein

Can you send me a log file from when this happened if you still have it? I can't recreate this either, so I suspect the script had crashed somehow.

11. Lapideus

The thing is, I can't tell you what exactly caused it. I removed the generator (admittedly without deactivating it first, but that wasn't the first time and it was no issue before), filled in a few of the spaces it was occupying, re-placed it in a slightly different position, and then it started giving me the error. In the second case, it was working fine before I switched characters, but when I came back, it wouldn't anymore. I literally did not touch the generator or any of the marker wiring at all.

As for the logs, I'm sorry to say I restarted the game afterwards so I don't think I have the right one anymore...

12. Pilchenstein

Was it covering quite a large area? Someone was having similar issues and my suspicion is it was chunks not being loaded.

13. Lapideus

I don't think so? The first covered around 300 x 200 blocks, the second 280 x 120.

14. Pilchenstein

I'd have to look up how big chunks are and how the game decides which ones to load but it sounds like that might be the issue.

Apologies for the problems, I'm gonna add some kind of admin tool for cleaning up orphaned fields in the next version.

15. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein updated Field Generators with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. Sentient Cookie

Sentient Cookie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, Pilchenstein, I'm one of the FU devs. I'm coming to officially ask you for permission in order to use and modify your assets from the Field Generator mod.
    We'd like to be able to make some new objects using your code [so we don't have to make our own from scratch].

I also posted the same comment on your Steam mod's page.
    Please let me know whether or not it's okay. Thank you! [​IMG]

17. Pilchenstein

Sure, go for it.

18. Sentient Cookie

Sentient Cookie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you very much!!
    :DD

Pilchenstein likes this.
  19. Pilchenstein

20. rl.starbound

rl.starbound Phantasmal Quasar

Really cool mod. Do you have any intuition how big a single field can get before it fails to load? I'd like to protect something like an Apex City Apartments or a Glitch Village from meteors and I'm curious how many generators I'd need to do that.