1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Floran Diets

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Milosz3107, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Milosz3107

Milosz3107 Pangalactic Porcupine

Technically, aren't all Floran vegetarian/herbivore? Because if they are plants then eating meat would be the equal of us eating plants, right?
    Also can they photosynthesise?

2. Glitchspeare

Glitchspeare Void-Bound Voyager

No, Florans (at least functionally) cannot photosynthesize. Otherwise you'd get some bonus from playing as Floran in sunlight. Maybe racial bonuses will come to be at some point, but we aren't there yet.

As for the first question, I don't believe that Florans are herbivores. They can certainly eat meat, and presumably digest it; they definitely seem to enjoy eating it. But they can also eat plants with no adverse effects; thus, I am drawn to believe that they are omnivores.

3. Inferus[RF]

Inferus[RF] Pangalactic Porcupine

I was referring to in a realistic take, not strictly gameplay.

4. Glitchspeare

Glitchspeare Void-Bound Voyager

Gotcha. I'd believe it if they specifically told us that yes, Florans do photosynthesize, but as it hasn't been confirmed or denied and the gameplay points to no, that's what I'm going with. If the answer is said outside of the game, I'll consider it canon regardless of gameplay mechanics.

Inferus[RF] likes this.
  5. Inferus[RF]

Inferus[RF] Pangalactic Porcupine

not trying to sound like a prick or anything, but the races were designed to function identically to each other besides ships and craftables, and even then, the armour for each tier are just reskins of other races armour of the same tier, the only exception is Novakids, who can craft guns instead of melee weapons.

6. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

They are carnivores, can't you see Nuru's big teefs?

7. Milosz3107

But to them would it be being herbivore/omnivore since they're plants?

8. Gasboy

If you eat mostly meat, you are a carnivore. If eat mostly plant matter, you are a herbivore. If you eat a good mix of plants and meat, you're an omnivore. If you eat whatever is too slow to get out of your way, you're a scavenger.

9. Milosz3107

No that's not what I- :yuno:

10. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Herbivore/Carnivore/Omnivore all simply describe the diet of a creature/organism, not the type of digestible material an organism is relative to what it consumes. I'm not sure if there's a word for what you're describing.

Consider this though: A venus fly trap is a plant-based organism that consumes a meat-based diet. A venus fly tray is thus described as being carnivorous.

11. Gasboy

If I could upvote this more than once, I would.

12. Milosz3107

13. ratkintheoverestimated

ratkintheoverestimated Phantasmal Quasar

There are carnivorous plants. Pitcher plant, Venus flytrap. So the Florans consuming meat is not all that strange.

14. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

They can eat plants too, certainly as a Floran PC you can. They certainly love meat(sss), but as far as I know it has never been stated that they are obligate carnivores.

15. Mirroruniverse

Mirroruniverse Void-Bound Voyager

On the subject of photosynthesis, a realistic take on it:

It's possible Floran retain some cells that can absorb sunlight and convert it into energy as a vestige of their evolution from plants; however, in their current state, it would not generate enough energy. They don't have enough surface area to catch enough light. They'd need to have many more leaves and preferably not burn so much energy moving around... So like a regular plant.

Here's an XKCD link dealing with the topic, with cows instead of Florans, but the same principles apply: https://what-if.xkcd.com/17/

oinkgamer and Milosz3107 like this.