Modding Help Changing ship textures

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by _BIO_, Feb 17, 2018.

1. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

Hey there!
    I appeal first of all to the creators of mods and people who know how to work with game files.
    I had an idea how to change the color of the Novakid ship, but I do not know how to work with game files (pack/unpack, etc.)
    In the steam workshop, I found only one mod, which makes the whole ship of Novakid the same color (green), but I need grey Novakid ship...

In the game folder and the Starbound wiki, I found the textures of the ship and changed their color to the one I want. Most likely these are not all files, because they do not provide for animation.
    Here are the files:

Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_1.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_2.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_3.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_4.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_5.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_6.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_7.png Novakid_Ship_Upgrade_8.png novakidcaptainschair.png novakidfuelhatch.png novakidshipdoor.png novakidshipdoorBroken.png novakidshiphatch.png novakidshiplocker.png novakidshiplockerTier0.png novakidstoragelocker.png novakidtechstation.png novakidtechstationTier0.png novakidteleporter.png novakidteleporterTier0.png

If you can make a mod based on these textures - I will be very grateful to you!
    If you need my help in working with the graphic editor (Pait.NET), I'm also ready to help you.

Thank you for attention. I hope that this thread will receive a response.

2. Dakrhunter30

Dakrhunter30 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So basically you want a mod that replaces the default textures with yours, am i right?

3. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, in the description I mentioned the mod, which makes the ship completely green ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1259186345 ). I want something similar, but in a different color. As in the illustrations under the spoiler.
    I know that only I will see such a mod, and it is unlikely to work on the server, but that's enough for me.

4. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

Okay, so, I honestly have not too good of an idea what I'm doing, but as I type this I'm unpacking and looking through an Alternate Ship mod (for the Avali, if you were wondering) and I'll see if I can patch something together.

Edit; After an hour and a half or so I got the Human ship to replace the Novakid's ship, but right now I'm still wrapping my head around the custom textures instead of the base game assets.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

You are ready to help, I understand correctly?

6. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

Eeyup.

7. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

Good. If you succeed - you can immediately add a mod in the steam workshop and/or in mods section this site, and leave a link here.
    The authorship will be yours, naturally)

8. Dakrhunter30

Is this how you meant the gray ship replacement?
    (have to readjust the middle thruster on the last tier)

Tier 1

20180226224039_1.jpg

Tier 2

20180226224053_1.jpg

Tier 3

20180226224101_1.jpg

Tier 4

20180226224112_1.jpg

Tier 5

20180226224124_1.jpg

Tier 6

20180226224142_1.jpg

Tier 7

20180226224158_1.jpg

Tier 8

20180226224214_1.jpg 20180226224232_1.jpg

I don't know if im stupid or so but i cant seem to download the textures of the objects you've made.

9. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

M'kay, sorry 'bout the silence on my end, <insert excuse here>.
    Also just quickly regarding the other non-ship textures you made, that's just a single frame instead of the full animation cycle that you've recolored. (But don't worry I got this.)
    novakidshiplocker.png
    You'd want to edit that, not just a single frame.
    Also, status update, I just need to recolor the ship objects and then I should be good.

10. Dakrhunter30

Did you already do the ship recoloring? If not, you could use the one i made.

11. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

Nah, you can open the images in a new tab and save them from there if it doesn't work normally. (Though I did have to move around the T1-3 Ships due to get them in the right position.)

12. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

Actually wait, did you do the lit versions of the ships? (The ones with like 50% opacity or something I dunno)

13. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

So, uh, I got it to work.

Mostly.

Attached Files:

14. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

Done~!

I'll upload it in about an hour and a half or so when I get home.

15. Dakrhunter30

Nice

16. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

Guys, the exterior looks great!
    I hope that the elements of the interior will also be able to change the texture.

novakidshiplocker.png

17. Dusk_Cobalt

Dusk_Cobalt Yeah, You!

18. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

20180226224039_1.jpg

19. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

Now when I installed the mod - I see that I was mistaken - Everything looks great!)

20. _BIO_

_BIO_ Phantasmal Quasar

If I understand correctly, the color of the on-board computer depends on the color of the character's core (it can be seen by teleportation) Novakid is pink by default.
    This can be changed only by other mod?