Modding Discussion Migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

This thread is outdated.

See Migrating XNB mods to Content Patcher packs on the official forums instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread coordinates the migration of existing XNB mods to Content Patcher packs, and tracks unofficial conversions.

What is Content Patcher?
    Content Patcher
    lets you edit the game's XNB data through SMAPI, without replacing the actual files and with zero programming needed. You can edit a specific part of each file, instead of replacing the whole file.

Why not create XNB mods?
    Content Patcher packs have several benefits over XNB mods:
    • Update checks: when a new version of the pack is released, players see an alert in the SMAPI console so they know about it.
    • Compatibility checks: when a game update breaks the pack, SMAPI can disable it (to prevent game crashes and bugs) and give them a URL to download the latest version.
    • Easy install/uninstall: drop a content pack into your Mods folder to install it, and remove it to uninstall it.
    • Localisation support: edits are applied to all languages automatically, no need to create multiple copies of each file. (Or, target a specific language if you want.)
    • Mod compatibility: many content packs can edit the same file without conflicting. (Unlike XNB mods, which only support one mod per file.)
    • Game compatibility: Content Patcher packs can edit only the part of each file they need, and the game rarely changes existing content, so most packs will work fine in new versions of the game. (Unlike XNB mods which replace the whole file and lose newer content.)
    • Easy to create: configure the changes through a JSON file, and drop your unpacked PNGs and maps directly into the content pack folder. Edit them and run to see your changes, no repacking or recopying files needed.
    • Easy to edit: players can edit the JSON file to tweak the changes, no need to unpack/repack files.
    How do I create Content Patcher packs?
    See the Content Patcher guide. Feel free to ask questions below, or in the Content Patcher support thread.

Unofficial XNB mod conversions
    For authors who haven't migrated their mods officially yet, players have created unofficial conversions so they work in the upcoming Stardew Valley 1.3 update. If you migrated an XNB mod unofficially, post a message below and update the list on the wiki!

See list of conversions on the wiki.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Here's an unofficial XNB mod conversion which increases the size of the shed to 11x17. The original was posted here over a year ago.

Just download to your Mods folder, make sure you have SMAPI and ContentPatcher, and enjoy!

Best part is that Content/Maps/Shed.xnb is most likely not going to be modified by the 1.3 changes, which means this *should* continue to function once SMAPI and ContentPatcher update.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
      • paradigmnomad

paradigmnomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[CPP] Unofficial Slime Animals
        Original can be found here.

Also includes instructions on how to install the cow variants.

The OC of the mod is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
        • paradigmnomad

[CP] Vintage Menu Interface

Edit: This conversion has been officially updated! See the 'Optional Files' on the Nexus page.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
          • paradigmnomad

[CPP] Bernese Mountain Dog - Original can be found here. Officially Updated
            [CPP] Yet Another Dog Mod - Original can be found here.
            [CPP] Marshmallow Horse Alternative - Original can be found here.
            [CPP] Rocky Junimo Hut - Original can be found here.
            [CPP] Better Void Chicken - Original can be found here.

Edit: 3/7/18
            [CPP] Non-Default Replacement Chickens - Original can be found here. Officially Updated

These files should not be affected by SDV 1.3, but I had them already converted for personal use.

The OC of these mod(s) is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
            • MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

I've unofficially converted a half dozen mods for my own use. The manifests are all set with the same version number as the current XNB mod on Nexus. Is this the standard approach or should it be given a minor version increase like 1.0.0 to 1.0.1?

• paradigmnomad

You can keep them as version number the same as the one on Nexus. Personally, I start mine out at 1.0.0 but that's up to you!

• MouseyPounds

Attached are unofficial conversions of the following mods:
                  • Abigail Portrait With Subtle Bow and More Accurate Bow Sprites v1.1 by Androxilogin (original)
                  • Bathroom after 2nd Houseupgrade v1.4 by DevilBro (original)
                  • Better Grass Visibility v1.1 by mmanlapat (original)
                  • Emily Sprite and Portrait Overhaul v1.0 by tolerdesigns (original) -- includes both regular and "No Cleavage" versions; content.json should be edited to enable/disable appropriately
                  • Matching Slime Hutch v"Final" by SlushieSlowpoke (original) -- manifest version set to "1.0.0-Final"
                  • More Accurate Dwarf v1 by spacedoggity (original)
                  • Nerdy Hot Maru - Sprite and Portrait Overhaul v1.2 by tolerdesigns (original)
                  EDIT: An updated Bathroom after 2nd Houseupgrade with compatibility for 1.3beta is available in a later post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
                  • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Attached is an unofficial conversion of the Bouncy Chests option for Better Artifact Digspots by Drogean and updated by joyous1ariella for the 1.1 content update that also works for 1.2.

This simply edits the small portion of Cursors.xnb that deals specifically with dig spots, so other edits to the Cursors.xnb page should be compatible with it. This also means there's a good chance it will continue to be compatible with SDV 1.3+ unless they move that particular part of Cursors.xnb around during the update.

If the original author or the previous updater wishes, they may take this and update their NexusMods page with it, and I will remove it upon request.

Attached Files:

coldazrael and SandraBay like this.
                    • paradigmnomad

[CP] Bath House Hot Spring - Original can be found here.

The OC of the mod is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.

v1.1 adds a config menu for Alex's workout room (inside Men's Locker)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
                      • paradigmnomad

[CP] Bird Replacements for Babies - Original can be found here.

Updated to v1.2. Adds config menu support, Values can be:

"AlternativeDarkBaby": "default, blue",
                        "AlternativeBaby": "default, green"

v1.3 Fixes a missing bit of code
                        v1.4 Adds dialogue & mail changes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
                        • paradigmnomad

[CPP] Linus with Clothes - Original can be found here.

[CP] Badass Sam - Original can be found here.
                          v1.1 includes config support

[CPP] Sebastian - New Hair and Moto Jacket - Original can be found here.

[CP] Explorer Timmy Shane - Original can be found here.

The OC of the mod(s) is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
                          • MouseyPounds

Animal Crossing Digspot v1.1 (original) -- like Shneeky's post this is an EditImage which only replaces a specific part of Cursors.xnb

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Vigilant_Tortoise and Kuriiyo like this.
                            • f4iTh

f4iTh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Updated a couple for personal use, thought I'd share them here as well.

No More Bowlegs (original) & Villagers Anime Portrait (original)
                              Basically all of them are Load actions, except for a one alt. portrait if I'm not mistaken now.

Attached Files:

damewalkure, 3duyy, Medicell and 4 others like this.
                              • paradigmnomad

[CP] Unofficial Realistic Animal Replacements & [CP] Unofficial Realistic Animal Replacements - Joja - Originals can be found here.

A lot animals in the non-Joja version were missing a matching sprite (ie. Baby Chickens vs Chickens). If somebody is able to match them up better or create a better port of them please do!

Attached Files:

• paradigmnomad

[CP] Unofficial Biped Dinosaur - Original can be found here.
                                  Excludes the duck reskin.
                                  Update 5/10: Fixes issue with springobjects & adds support for 1.3

[CP] Unofficial Swans and Dodos - Original can be found here.
                                  Only includes Swans & Dodos

[CP] Unofficial Chickens into Parrots - Original can be found here.
                                  Excludes Toucan.
                                  Updated 6/3: v1.2 - Adds portrait support & fixes an issue with folder naming

The OC of the mod(s) is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
                                  • Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

Gonna copy paradigm's format. :p This is one of my favorite mods, and with a little help from Pathos, I updated it to Content Pack form.

[CP] Unofficial Spouse Room Redesigned - Original can be found here.

Attached Files:

• paradigmnomad

[CP] Unofficial Sweet Talking Seb - Original can be found here.
                                      [CP] Unofficial Sweet Talking Sam - Original can be found here.
                                      [CP] Unofficial Dirty Talking Sam - Original can be found here.
                                      [CP] Unofficial Nicer Villagers Flirty Bachelors - Original can be found here.

Edit 3/28: Updated with `EditData` fields

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
                                        Jumika, Mochii429, IceRose0 and 18 others like this.
                                      • .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

I converted Eemie's Victorian Mailbox for Content Patcher.
                                        To quote paradigmnomad,
                                        "The OC of the mod(s) is allowed to take this file and upload it on their official page if they wish. You may PM me to have the unofficial port removed if you wish."

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.