Let's Talk About Sam!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tangeriney, Jul 24, 2018.

1. tangeriney

tangeriney Subatomic Cosmonaut

Or, as I call him when I'm chasing after him with Joja Cola in hand, Sammy-poo.

He's my favorite favorite favorite of the marriageable NPCs [:

What do you think of Sam, his relationships, his cool dad potential, his stupid hair, etc.?

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I view Sam as the friend that's fun to hang around. I like that he's openly friendly at the get go, and LOVE that he has pollen allergies (because I have the same problem...if it pollenates I'm allergic to it). His dealings with a skateboard and wanting to be in a band make me think "late teens at the very latest" and I like that he and Abby are friends. I personally think Sam and Abby would work better than Sebastian and Abby, kind of a "they are so different it's fun" kind of way. Sam just needs to win at pool...

I would say of all the available bachelors he's usually the one I have the best relationship with. I tend to forget about Harvey, Alex is too arrogant and a bit of a jerk at the start, Sebastian is too withdrawn for me, Shane I have issues with his alcohol dependency, and while I like Elliot (and was pleasantly surprised when he was pretty friendly) I tend to remember him only if I'm doing something on the beach. If I'm not doing something at the beach Elliot tends to be missed.

• tangeriney

Well, Sam is literally my dream guy hahaha. Cute, boyish, young at heart, kind, genuinely caring. A little dumb... ;P

Personally I don't even like the Sebastian/Abby pairing at all. There's just nothing to it, it seems like throwing together the two weirdos for the heck of it. (I mean weirdo in a good way!)

I do really love Sam/Penny, though. I think their hinted relationship is out of the blue, but in a refreshing way. It's sweet and charming. Sam is my favorite of any of the marriage options, but I hate to get in between that potentially beautiful romance! Hahaha.

I've never heard something come out of Sam's pixelly mouth that I didn't like. Sometimes he says "hang on, gotta beat this level," and sometimes he says something so pure and profound. Even when he's too busy to talk to you because he's playing his game boy or trying to do a kickflip or jamming out on the guitar it's endearing. He loves what he does so passionately, he's content with exactly where he is and what he's doing and who he's with.

Another reason I much prefer Sam over a lot of the other options is that a lot of them seem to dream of going to the city or traveling the world, etc. I feel bad about keeping Sebastian or Penny from living their own dreams. There are a few bachelors/bachelorettes who'd be content or even happy to live on the farm. Leah, Shane, Emily... And Sam. He's just so chill.

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly, I think it's really hard not to like Sam. While he's overshadowed by other characters like Sebastian or Shane, sure, at the same time, I've not seen anyone hating him. And truth be told, I honestly think he'd be the sort of person I'd make an effort to befriend if he actually existed. He's honestly such a nice character, and whenever I see him when I'm playing through the game, I actually kind of find myself going out my way to talk to him.

I'll agree with Musical, while Sam/Penny might be the canon ship, I kind of prefer Sam/Abigail. I don't know why, I just find it cute, and I've shipped it since I first started playing the game.

As for his hair? Everyone compares him to a Super Saiyan, but speaking as a Pokemon fan, whenever I see him, I think Manectric instead. Manectric's one of my favourite Electric-types as well, so I'm perfectly fine with that. I mean, seriously, just look at it and compare it to Sam!

tangeriney likes this.
          • tangeriney

His hair actually reminds me of Roxas from Kingdom Hearts. Another kind-hearted blonde who rides a skateboard. ;P

Lorekeeper of Wyverns likes this.
            • Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Can't say I've played it, though I've heard a lot about it and it seems like it's really good, so good thing to be reminded of, right?

tangeriney likes this.
              • tangeriney

It's one of my favorite games, ever <3 Definitely recommend.

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Will probably have to check the series out sometime, then. It's one I've been interested in for a while anyhow.

tangeriney likes this.
                  • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Dude's a bro, man. Not much else to say. He's got big talk about a rock band, but it's mostly just him and Abbie hanging out. I mean, it's not a gig that's going to get on Stardew's Got Talent, at any rate.

Ironically, he's kind of had to man up, what with his father out in the field, and in some ways, he's the most mature and responsible of the male candidates. He's gotta be a good big brother for Vincent, and surrogate father figure as well, which is good practice for parenting skills. Unlike Seb, he doesn't have a smoking habit. He's not a jock jerk like Alex. Considering I really don't swing that way so the concept is fairly academic, he seems like one of the best male partner options around.

He is kind of handsy with Penny, if Vincent is to be believed, but it doesn't seem to be unwanted... Penny's got her own reasons to be flipping her skirts at Sam as a way out of her current domestic situation, after all. You can't blame the fellow if she's inviting contact, right?

• tangeriney

I definitely wouldn't even begin to imagine that Sam would be handsy with Penny (or anyone) if she wasn't into it hahaha.

And I agree about the band thing, it's kind of a silly band and probably won't go anywhere - but I think having a failed dream is very realistic and his passion for the project, no matter where it takes him, is endearing. I think he's confident in himself but not overly focused on success. He likes to have fun. He's responsible in the ways that count, like helping his mom even when he doesn't want to and hanging out and having serious talks with Vincent when he needs it. But he maintains his boyish charm and a healthy level of optimism about life.

• digitaleevee

digitaleevee Void-Bound Voyager

i dont mind sam/penny or sam/abi but heres a concept hear me out: sam and sebastian, ultimate bromance

tangeriney likes this.
                        • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

One thought that went through my mind, Sam likes the Joja cola but everyone else hates it. I wonder why everyone else hates it, but Sam is happy when you gift him one. Even others that should like it (the other teen-types) dislike it. Is it because it's a form of trash?

If you think about it, Sam's pretty easy to gain friendships with the Joja cola. He likes it so go to the Joja vending machine, pay the 75 gold (man is that overpriced, $75 for a single can??) and turn around and give it to Sam!

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I never really hang out with him. I don't have anything against him, I think we just never go to the same places.

tangeriney likes this.
                            • tangeriney

Because Sam is dumb lol and has no concern for his own health or what's actually good ;P
                              I don't mean that as an insult. Yet another quality about him I find endearing. He just likes what he likes.
                              (And I think Coke is nasty and don't understand how anyone can drink it, but TONS of people love it, so...)

The inflation in SDV is so real. 500g for a pizza. I mean come on.

Roskii he's definitely worth getting to know! :)

Roskii Heiral likes this.
                              • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I live in an area where coffee shops are quite common (things like Dutch Bros are incredibly common) Wonder if anyone would have any money if coffee costs 300 bucks per drink??

Back to Sam: I like that he's openly friendly. He's happy to see a new face when you first meet him and that attitude doesn't change at all. Outside of "Sam is trying to do a flip kick" he's always got a friendly response, and if he's playing a game it's "hang on, I gotta beat this level" which tells me that he does want to talk to the player too, he just needs to finish what he was doing. I don't know if I'd call it he's just a friendly guy or not, but he has this aura of friendliness around him.

tangeriney likes this.
                                • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

i don't think the currency in the game is 1:1 with the dollar, tbh

tangeriney likes this.
                                  • Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

On a recent farm I decided to choose Sam to marry. I have a soft spot for rocker types and he is very good to his little brother. Once married things went downhill fast. He would rarely leave the house, and complain that he missed his mom's cooking. He would go into town so he could spend time with his family, but never invites the farmer, his wife, along. He never did anything on the farm, didn't even fill the cat's bowl. So after a full season I divorced him and now I'm single again. He may be a cutie but not very good marriageable material. I think I'll go check on Harvey. I've always wanted to be a Doctor's wife.

• sari90

sari90 Void-Bound Voyager

His hair reminds me more of Demyx.

• tangeriney

YOU'RE RIGHT! I also love Demyx to bits. Whiney wannabe rock n' roll baby <3

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

His hair reminds me of "anime-style hair" more than anything...

Before I forget, anyone else ever picture Sam with a flower in his hair since he loves flowers and all? Weird maybe, but I've occasionally seen people do it when they want to feel special

tangeriney likes this.