1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Are the devs giving up? Its been 3 months now?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Starfan87, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Starfan87

Starfan87 Void-Bound Voyager

The devs of starbound have gone through a gigantic shape of creativity, making it an amazing indie game, but they hve stopped posting updates, neverthless making sure a new update is coming. Its kind of sad when you think about it. Companis wih games never make these pieces of art, but indie developers do. But in the process Chucklefish is not a millionaire company, is there a future for starbound? Will it unlock it's true potential?

2. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3 months is normal. It's actually been more than 6 months since the last major update and over a year since version 1.3 dropped. That's the longest we've ever gone between updates since release. The last few blog posts have suggested 1.4 is still coming but the bounty hunting aspects are being stripped out or canceled entirely, leaving the question of what that update will contain pretty up in the air. Seems like the team is focusing on the Xbox port now.

So yeah, I wouldn't get too excited for this to change anytime soon.

Ickura likes this.
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They are a relatively small company, and they are working on their next game, Wargroove, as well as dealing with the Starbound XBox port. Lack up updates is reasonable at this point.

Starwire likes this.
  4. Masiakasaurus

One of the things we were promised was that updates would be "hot and heavy." Regardless, the fact that the team is small and working on other things is kind of the point - Starbound on the PC isn't a priority to them at the moment, and won't be for a while.

5. Rajotazo

Rajotazo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

be patient

6. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

According to this thread's title, I believe in them that they will not giving up on Starbound or any of their games (well, I hope I am not wasting my time here believing). I mean they have many fans and this community is still keep going. They also have the potential to expand with many people giving so many suggestion in this community and many modder ready and eager to help them (sadly, I haven't hear the dev responding to their idea or using their services lately).

7. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It would be foolish for them to give up as Starbound is clearly their most exciting title to most people. I mean updating Starbound would at the very least give them publicity to their other games.

Ickura likes this.
  8. Daikon Ocelot

9. Masiakasaurus

I'm not aware of any features added due to a suggestion in the forums, at least not since I started playing in one of the later Giraffe builds. Fossils, fishing, mechs, etc were all Kickstarter promises I believe.

10. lazarus78

Rails. They were based on the Sky Rails mod a while back.

11. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

A new update just came to the unstable branch. I won't be looking at it til later, but I figured that fact would be relevant to this thread.

12. lazarus78

It is just some basic Discord integration. Nothing content wise. They will be implementing Discord's version of Steam's "Join" function.

13. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Still, this gives hope that content updates are forthcoming. Since they've decided against bounty hunting it makes me wonder what else they might do. Sourcing community requests that are repeatedly made/popular would be a wise decision.

It occurs to me something like NPC musicians would add content and modding functionality without the creation of new art for example. But this is not the thread to get into ideas in.

14. Daikon Ocelot

At least they're doing something. Well, not much and doesn't affect the game to much. It is great to know they're progressing.