WIP Making Json Assets Versions of Hats

Discussion in 'Mods' started by foggywizard, Sep 10, 2018.

1. foggywizard

foggywizard Big Damn Hero

As the title said, I'm currently in the process of converting as many hats as I can into json assets versions so that they can be used together without affecting base game hats, or altering the hats file with content patcher to add more hats (which I found does not play well when you're also using some json assets hats in addition). Where would be an appropriate place to put these, since they are technically another author's property? I intend to contact as many of the original mod authors as I can to get the data to them, but for those that aren't active anymore, what do I do?

I'm currently working on Hope's Hats right now, but I'm open to suggestions for what to do after than one.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
      Beon, coldazrael and HopeWasHere like this.
    • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

I am 100% on board with this idea! Let me know if you need help!

• foggywizard

Once you've got the file structure down and know what you need to put in each item's .json, it's surprisingly easy. It's just a bit tedious making the .json files and splitting the hats.png so that each hat has their own 20px80p file. Thankfully for hats I can just copy a .json from another hat, drop it into the next hat's folder, and change the Item ID and description for the most part, as the other bits are pretty standard across all hats. I've already gotten 40 of them done so far.

• paradigmnomad

paradigmnomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not all of these were done by me but heads up these ones are already completed. Ragnarok Hats is already officially updated with a JA version.

Feel free to use these as examples.

Originals
          Ragnarok Hats
          Kawaii Hats
          Fantasy Horns & Antlers <- This one would need some tweaking before submitting to the mod author
          BigCola Witch Hats
          Ghostytea's Cute Hats

What I had thought about doing was creating a main hub page on Nexus that included all of the abandoned hat mod JsonAsset versions, similar to The Care Taker on Nexus.

Attached Files:

• foggywizard

...And here the Horns & Antlers one was the first one I completed to get the hang of it, and already submitted it to the mod author. What kind of tweaking did it need, do you think? I hate to think that I submitted something subpar. But yeah, I used Ragnarok Hats as my example to understand what I was doing. Kawaii hats was what I was going to work on after this one, so it's good to know that that one is already done. I'm not so sure about working on ones that were explicitly made to tweak existing hats, instead of adding new ones/changing old hats to entirely new ones, but at the same time, people might want more variants of vanilla hats?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
            • paradigmnomad

On mine I wanted to change names/descriptions. Yours looks good though! I might suggest renaming the folders to be more specific (ex. Unicorn would become Unicorn Horn)

• foggywizard

Does the name of the folders they're in have an effect? I know the assets folder needs to be named "Hats" for Json Assets to read them as hats (found that out while looking into why the version of Witch Hats I have wasn't working), but is there an effect for the folders inside?

• paradigmnomad

There isn't but it just helps with organization IMO

• foggywizard

Ah, ok. Yeah. That makes sense. I'd just started putting labels on the Hope's Hats ones to help keep things together while I'm working on them. Though, I *could* just put finished ones in a separate folder so it doesn't become harder to find freshly made folders...I'll go do that, actually. I have this horrid habit of making things more difficult for myself because the helpful solutions don't occur to me.

• foggywizard

And done! Hope's Hats is now completely Json Assets converted.
                      Edit: There was a syntax error affecting roughly 1/4th of the hats that was fixed. If anyone is using the one I previously posted, please redownload.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
                        HopeWasHere likes this.
                      • foggywizard

Testing has revealed that you cannot have json assets load all of the hats. There are so many hats in Hope's Hats that a full 55 of them cannot be handled. Less if you're using them with other packs, since it seems that 87 is the maximum amount of hats that json assets can handle. I'll see about splitting them up by theme, to make picking and choosing easier.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                        • foggywizard

Here they are. Split up into groups for easy picking.
                          Career contains hats that represent a specific profession (chef, ship captain, fisherman, etc.).
                          Mario, Pokémon, Wedding Stuff, Superheroes, and Rain Hoods are pretty self-explanatory.
                          Various Media has the things that were obviously based on a game, show, or book (Huck's Hat, Hero of Time Cap belonging to Link, Toph's headband, etc.) where there wasn't enough for them to have their own folder.
                          Fantasy contains all the fantasy and feudalistic things that didn't otherwise belong in another folder (for example, most crowns are here, but you won't find the Sailor Tiara or Peach's Crown, etc.).
                          Feminine Accessories has the little knick-knacks that aren't hats, such as hairclips, ribbons, bows, and headwraps. Like Fantasy, if it belongs in another category, it also won't be here (Dawn's and Iris's Hairclips are in Pokémon, for example).
                          Various Hats is the few left that didn't belong in another category. Things like the Turban, Hijab, and a few bandanas are here.
                          The numbers in the names is how many hats are in each. If you favor any specific hat in any of the things, but don't want the whole pack, moving it into the hats folder of a pack you do want should have it load with that pack. Likewise you can remove hats you don't want from a pack you do want.

Attached Files:

breatemata, Beon and HopeWasHere like this.
                          • paradigmnomad

This is good information to add to the documentation. Thanks!

• laylaisthename

laylaisthename Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just wanted to leave a thanks! I had a look at how to convert hats to be added, and saw how tedious it would be to convert them, so I really appreciate all the work both you and paradigmnomad have put in :cathug: