Modding Discussion Are block and object textures scale-able?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ShirtyScarab554, Sep 23, 2018.

1. ShirtyScarab554

ShirtyScarab554 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I know that Monsters, NPC, and possibly item sprites are scale-able using the *"scale" :* function, kind of like in this video.

But I'm wondering if block and objects are scale-able as well, I'm wanting to make a mod with higher texture resolutions (16x16) but I'm not sure how to do this.
    I know the *classicmaterialtemplate.config* has something to do with adjusting the size of the textures themselves (still trying to figure it out), but I don't think it can change the scale at which the textures are rendered.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

as far as I know it doesn't seem to be possible for most object, and for weapons and armor. I am not the best modder but I don't think it's doable from what I've seen

3. Noah Nebula

Noah Nebula Sandwich Man

Yes you can! ;)

Not exactly the same as how that video shows, but there is a way:

Let's take alter1 for example, its size is [48, 16]

If we want to multiply that size by 4 we .patch the .frames folder to [192, 64]

that's the only coding bit you will need to do, next you have to edit the image.

It depends on what software you use for editing images, for me its Photoshop

-Under Image Size
    -Then change the width to 192, the hight to 64, and the Resample to Nearest Neighbor like so...
    [​IMG]

then save.

here is the result;
    [​IMG]

4. Noah Nebula

Noah Nebula Sandwich Man

Here is the Mod I just put together for you. :)

I didn't patch the alter but I did make a new object called alter4xsize

It was really easy

Attached Files:

5. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

what he wants is a higher pixel density in the same amount of space

Noah Nebula likes this.
  6. ShirtyScarab554

ShirtyScarab554 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Exactly what Nexus said.
    I'm pretty sure I can get that effect Nexus mentioned by increasing the sprites size, but shrinking the objects "render itself", but I don't know if that's possible for blocks.
    And tbh, I don't know what code objects and blocks use to scale the sprites, since it isn't anything like growing or shrinking a monsters size.