1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Mines pickaxe error causing repeated game freeze

Discussion in 'Support' started by One More Day, Mar 4, 2019.

1. One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

2019-03-04 (1).png

This keeps happening to me in the mines; second time I've tried to play this day, and second time it has happened. I also had it happen two or three times when I was playing last night, and it's starting to get a bit tilting. The pickaxe gets stuck above my head and the whole game just freezes and won't respond to any input whatsoever, so all I can do is just close the window and crash out, losing that day's progress. If I just leave it then time passes, but even if I get hit by monsters and lose all health, I don't die, but I still can't move. Nor does waiting for 2am change anything either.

It's getting rather annoying now, having to replay days, especially when I'm on a good run, like here with 28 iron by 10am, or the previous one, where I had found a lead rod, which was a huge improvement on the Wood Club I have had to drop back to.

I think it must be something to do with the most recent update; it never happened to me before and I have a ridiculously large number of hours in this game. What's the point of a version spending weeks in beta testing, if something as bad as this can get through?

Running v1.3.36 with SMAPI 2.11. My only 2 mods are Experience Bars, which you can see top left, and Lookup Anything, both up-to-date.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

That sounds like an issue with the vanilla game. Can you remove SMAPI temporarily, and see if it still happens? If so, does it happen when you do a specific sequence of actions?

• One More Day

Early mining is rather frenetic, what with having to smash rocks several times with a basic pickaxe while using inadequate weapons to defend yourself against monsters, so I have no idea what sequence creates it, but generally I'm switching rather quickly between inventory items using my mouse wheel and clicking a lot whenever monsters are within reach or I'm breaking rocks. Sometimes, like this one, it's not even while fighting. I'll have a go at recreating it, without SMAPI, but it might be a day or two before I can even try.

• One More Day

@Pathoschild

OK, I finally had a chance to do this and I've managed to recreate the bug in the vanilla game alone (ie SMAPI not running)

This was done in a new farm set up deliberately to try and recreate the crash, so the saave file should never have had any interference whatsoever from SMAPI

2019-03-11 (3).png

As you can see, once again the pickaxe is floating above my head, and I have zero health from being attacked while frozen. But I haven't died and the game is frozen

Maybe it's a problem with monsters dying, or perhaps how you kill them, or even the weapon itself, because I had just killed a couple of slimes. I wasn't breaking rocks at this moment, just killing enemies looking for a quick ladder drop, and I had near full health when it happened. Maybe I was also fighting in the other one in my OP and just forgot, IDK

Anyway, hope this helps isolate the problem for a fix

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
          • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Thanks! I've seen a few players with that issue, but it's hard to track down since we don't have reliable steps to reproduce it (it seems to happen randomly). Since you have SMAPI installed, a workaround is to enter debug canmove in the SMAPI console window when it happens; that should force the game to reset the player animation.

• One More Day

OK, fair enough, hope it gets worked out somehow though

Fwiw, it only really seems to happen to me in first spring mining, when I have some of the more basic equipment, and therefore combat and rock breaking are both quite a bit more energetic. I was unable to reproduce it at all when I could just one shot
              all stones and monsters with the iridium pickaxe and galaxy sword.
              Good to know. Thanks.

Though I still have to hope it happens when I'm not low on HP, or any nearby monster will do for me anyway by the time I can type it in

• One More Day

@Pathoschild

I think I've worked out what is causing it, and I think I can now reproduce crash this reasonably reliably. Not perfectly reliably, because it relies on good timing (or perhaps I should say bad timing, depending on your point of view). But, if I do it enough times, then I eventually get that timing required to create the crash.

So, I had this happen a few more times and I was wondering why I only ever had this when I was "on a good mines run", and literally never on a bad one. Eventually I realised that one of the things I consider to be a good mines run is getting club weapons to drop from a chest or a monster, and if I don't get that club, I rarely tend to view it as a good run. Although the clubs are much slower weapons that the swords, the club special move can shred the hell out of monsters, which has the double advantage of either quicker ladder drops when they die, or the second prize of just eliminating them fast, to be able to get on with uninterrupted mining for that next ladder. It's also pretty awesome for harvesting coal by getting lots of dust sprites at a time, and overall I think that accepting the much slower swing speed of the clubs, and taking a few extra hits from monsters as a result, is a good trade off for that slower swing speed as long as you also take extra food for healing.

Anyway, the crash. Once you perform the special move with the club, sometimes you get an extra swing or two of the weapon, and I think the crash is caused if you try to select the pickaxe to use, before that extra swing is complete. As I said, I think the timing has to be just right to create the crash, and I think that's how it happens. It's something to do with finishing the special move and trying to use the pickaxe too soon after.

Hope this helps