Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azurejpg

azurejpg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found the folder named Public and moved my work folder for my spouse room edits there, but when I opened up the tbin file for the spouse room through the Public folder I still received the "unrecognized file format" stuff. Guess I'm still doing something wrong?

Edit: Oh, nevermind! I figured it out! Just forgot to check off the box for the tbin plug-in in preferences! Should be able to edit the spouse rooms now, thanks for all of your wonderful help throughout this whole process!

• GlowingDinosaur

GlowingDinosaur Void-Bound Voyager

Well, actually... I might have made it more confusing, because if your username doesn't have any funny symbols in (like ยจ), you probably don't need to move your work-in-progress to Public ^^" (soooo sorry, I'd forgotten about the plug-in!)

And you're welcome! Btw, when you're done, I'd love to see what your spouse rooms look like! Have fun ;)

azurejpg likes this.
      • azurejpg

Alright, so I've been using this tutorial to give me a rough idea as to how to edit the spouse rooms and stuff, but I still don't know how they were able to change the wallpaper without any weird...transparent markings on the wallpaper? I extracted the walls and floors xnb to give me the png version of it before later converting it into a tilesheet to edit the room, but I got this weird gap in the wallpaper that probably has to do with the way in which the xnb file is set up to separate the wallpapers from eachother. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, please let me know ASAP!

I've got a screenshot of my current work w/editing one of the custom spouse rooms I'm working on to give a better idea as to what I'm talking about. (It's the weird gray transparent gap between the wallpaper and flooring!)
        2b18120af512e2bb2e6b767cb29697de.png

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

You'll need to put another row of flooring there, part of which disappears under the wall.

• azurejpg

I think I have a rough idea of what you're saying, like something involving using the different layers of the map, but could you explain it step-by-step? Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm doing things right and understand what you're trying to say.

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

Yes, different layers are involved. Flooring is on the back layer, since you want to be able to walk over it, and in this case it needs to extend under the wall tiles. The wall tiles, or at least the first (lowest) row is on the building layer - so you can't walk on them and walk up the wall.

• GlowingDinosaur

Also, in your picture, the bottom row seems to have the object (lamp and such) on the back layer, the flooring on the building layer (and that means, unless you fiddle with property tiles, that you character won't be able to walk on it, because it's basically a solid object), and the wall on the front layer (which makes sense because you want your character to disappear behind it, like in the normal game)

So basically, what I'm saying is you probably want to switch the objects on the building layer and the flooring on the back layer

(over simplifying, but that's how I remember it easily, back layer means if you stand on that tile, or in front of it, your character will be shown on top of it. Front layer is the opposite, if you stand behind it you'll be hidden by it (like when you walk behind a bush in-game. Building means that you can't walk on it (unless you use a special tiledata object, but I can't get it to work myself)

(also, you can put more than 1 item on each tile, because you can put 1 item on each layer) (for example, you could put wallpaper on the back layer, then a crack in the wall on the building layer, then a photo frame on the top layer, and you'd have a piece of derelict wall with a frame on it)

• azurejpg

Got it. I'll be sure to keep it in mind while editing and check over everything whenever I test it out. Thank you for the extra info, I needed it!

• GlowingDinosaur

Ok great! I was a little worried that I'd made it more complicated than it is (which is already not that simple), cause English isn't my first language and sometimes I mix things up a little ^^'
                    And you're welcome! I kinda figured it out when testing my mod and noticing that I was passing through walls and being hidden behind picture frames, so I figured it might be useful :rofl:

• GlowingDinosaur

Please help, I'm still stuck!

• azurejpg

Finished editing the spouse room file for the Wizard (planning to use the room on an upcoming new playthrough!) but when I overrided the original tmx file within the "Looking for Love Spouse Rooms" folder, I ended up getting this weird error: "This mod failed in the GameLoop.GameLaunched event. Technical details: System.Exception: Unable to load map with file path 'C:\Users\vdo14\OneDrive\Documents\Stardew.Valley.v1.3.36\Mods\[TMX] Looking for Love Spouse Rooms\SpouseRoomWizard.tmx' ---> System.Exception: Unable to determine sheet size ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I have absolutely no clue how to fix it. At first I thought maybe I needed to put the resources I used for editing the spouse room in the same foldr as the tmx file in my Mods folder, but when I did that I still got this issue so I'm out of luck.

Here's my SMAPI log if it helps (I don't use Steam achievements so you can ignore the "error" in the SMAPI section): https://log.smapi.io/Ma2Lu0Ru

• GlowingDinosaur

If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to pack the tilesheets you used in the tmx file with the map

ps: sorry for the late answer, I didn't get the e-mail I usually get when the thread is updated :O

• azurejpg

Sorry to be troubling you with this stuff, but could you give a step-by-step set of instructions on how to do it? I just want to make sure I know what to do in order to pack the tilesheets like you said. I included the tilesheets I used for the tmx file in the mod's folder itself and that didn't work, and I could really use an explanation on what to do to make sure I don't mess up.

No need to worry about the response being late, I'm just glad that I got an answer!!

• GlowingDinosaur

At some point, before you even started to edit the map you wanted, you had to unpack it, probably using a little program called XNBNode. Once you're done editing, you need to repack it all up (by all I mean the file you edited and the tilesheets it uses), using the same program, into an xnb file. That new file will replace the old spouseroom.xnb (although I'd recommend saving the old one just in case), and should be recognized by the game and its mods ^^

Ps: it's no trouble! I'm actually pretty happy to be able to help (with my highly limited modding experience, but still ^^')

• azurejpg

Oh, I understand the issue I had earlier way better now! Thank you for the help and easy explanation, it really means a lot to me!

Edit: In terms of unpacking the file I'm editing, this would involve editing a custom spouse room for a custom NPC, like the Wizard so as far as I can tell, I can't really extract the already-existing TMX file. Would the instructions change for the unpacking of the files in terms of the custom NPC spouse room?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
                                • GlowingDinosaur

To be honest, I don't know, really... So it wasn't packed as an xnb file at all, originally, right? Maybe the modder who created the custom spouse mod could help?
                                  In the original mod, can you locate where the tilesheets are stored?

edit: oh, and you're welcome :3

• azurejpg

I was working on editing the Wizard's spouse room from the "Looking for Love/Siv's Marriage Mod". I'll probably try and contact them to see if I can obtain an xnb file version of the spouse room, but I'm not entirely sure if it's possible considering it's a room for a custom NPC...

Edit: I found a template for making Spouse Rooms in the TMXLoader's page. Maybe I'll just create an entirely new tmx file for personal usage and figure things out from there. Probably going to have to do a little more research when it's time to connect the file to the specific character I plan on using the spouse room for but I'll cross that bridge when I get there :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
                                    • GlowingDinosaur

First question, what tilesheets have you used for your custom room?
                                      Also, have you tried adding them into the CP mod's assets/maps folder? (no idea if this is actually a good plan or not, back the original mod folder just in case)

If it's really unsolvable, and the mods creators can't help, you can always add your custom spouse room to the farmhouse_married maps, and it will show up like normal. The only thing is, it will show up on every game, unless you change the files back (kinda like a basement mod, it wouldn't change depending on who you're married to. It might even bug out if you married a vanilla option!)

• weyrbound

weyrbound Master Chief

Hey, I have a couple of really newbie-ish questions here... I've unpacked the foraging farm map, loaded it up in tiled, loaded up the required tilesheets, and have edited the spring outdoors tilesheet so that all grass tiles that had the property NoSpawn T now have the property NoSpawn F. I'm hoping that this will allow me to plant trees in all of the spots on the map that had previously been defined as 'invalid.'

Will this actually accomplish that? All I really want to do is be able to plant trees pretty much anywhere on my farm - it always seemed really silly that I couldn't plant them on certain seemingly random tiles of grass. I understand that debris may spawn in the places I've edited now, too? That doesn't really bother me, as long as it isn't game-breaking.

The other question I had, which I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere, is... do I have to add all of the seasonal tilesheets to the farm map and edit them, too? Or is just editing the spring tilesheet sufficient?

Thanks to anyone who can answer - I really couldn't find this information anywhere else I looked!

EDIT: And it actually looks like loading my map in as-is did nothing... if anyone knows if it's possible to get rid of that 'invalid position' marker on light green grass tiles in the forage map, I'd appreciate some help. So far google has yielded no results D:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
                                        • azurejpg

I've used the tilesheets from the following:
                                          https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/912/
                                          https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/854
                                          https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1731
                                          https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1074
                                          And I haven't actually tried adding them into the CP mod's assets/maps folder, but I could try? Although when you say CP mod's assets, do you mean Content Patcher itself or another mod like where I got the tilesheets from?

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.