Announcement Starbound 1.4: Bounty Hunter Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Hehe unkown races...

2. Didy

Didy Void-Bound Voyager

've put my mac completely new with fresh os and with the quick update to 1.4.3, everything runs perfectly again
    thank to Catherine and dev's ❤️

Catherine Franz and Kawa like this.
  3. BDMike

BDMike Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Holy moly! I haven't checked on this game in awhile since I lost access to a computer that could play it. Glad to see content is still being made. It seems like just yesterday when the engine was being rewritten and everyone was nervous there wouldn't be a game.

I still think its too bad the game turned into a more story-driven adventure-sandbox rather than focusing on just the sandbox aspect. There is TONS to do if you go the sandbox-survival route, but it was still hamstrung when monsters were no longer randomized, the temperature gauge was disabled permanently, and food was no longer stackable. Then there was the point where content updates were still being locked behind unrelated merchandise sales numbers, even though many people at that point had already bought the game. Good times.

I hope this really isn't the last update. I still can't play the game on my current setup, but someday I plan to actually play it in its entirety, build a base on every planet I land on, and see if I actually miss any of the things I just mentioned. Following this game's development hasn't always been positive, but it's been fun. Thanks for the memories, devs.

4. Catherine Franz

I think the story is just for those who like combat I guess (terraria vibessssss) and then BH update for the same types of players (Me ofc)
    It's prolly the motivator to explore too 'coz when we see a task, we want to complete it (RPG players,again me) 'coz there's that weird good feeling of completing a whole quest chain = w=

I'm the worst at building/creativity/imagination (unless they're sadistic)

5. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

You sir, have probably played Rimworld. am i correct?

Personally i like how the BH update made it much easier to get pixels making it actually possible to get some viechels or ores needed for some blocks

6. Catherine Franz

Never heard of those 3 uhh "NPCs"
    Nope never tried a simulation no no no I've never heard of dwarf fortress...who's random randy?

Krabbe likes this.
  7. I_Beest_the_Canon

I_Beest_the_Canon Master Chief

Are future updates still in the plan??

8. Armorine1983

Armorine1983 Phantasmal Quasar

doesn't look like it at the moment (they haven't said anything but that seems to be the norm for Chucklefish). The unstable edition on steam hasn't been updated in a while (when unstable edition gets updated frequently i noticed that Chucklefish is getting ready for a new version update for the main vanilla game).

9. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

In my opinion, Starbound needs a last update, the one that would end the history of truth, the history of all races, the one that would leave the game in its final version, 1.5.

Novakid needs a story, several codex to tell it, and of course, an artifact.

The end point would be the eighth race, the one that enters the gap, the race of the tentacles?

[​IMG]

At least one that fits, or maybe new, could be an enemy race, in which the artifact would appear randomly with a low drop% for example, it would be... something different, that the game had the 8 races that fit into the framework of the portals would be an interesting end point for the game, of course with nothing half done, everything closed, Novakid as a race with a good background of history and artifact, just like the eighth race.

Of course the eighth race would have its own armor and perhaps unique weapons, like the Novakids who have their own weapons that only they can make, a suitable lore in general.

There are many objects in the game files that are no longer used, are they completely discarded? everything discarded could be removed, leaving the file structure cleaner, some were planned to be released? because they are completed and implemented definitively.

Some new biomes would be more interesting, with new generic monsters for those biomes and some new unique monsters for them, also some new mineral to give variety, with some new weapons and armor for these minerals, up to tier 8 or maybe 10? They do not have to be many, they could be more difficult to get than the Solarium mineral, on planets with much more dangerous biomes, to end that feeling that when you have the best weapons and armor nothing can with you, planets in stars in which only a madman would step on that planet without being well prepared, willing to get those new minerals to make himself a better armor or weapon.

New events, a black hole with which you can interact and that transports you to an area of the universe VERY far from your current area? It would be fantastic, or an anomaly that you are going to investigate with your mech, in which you find that a gigantic enemy ship captures you and you have to get out of there with blows or shots? Also, why not? (and since I mention it, some new mech parts xD)

There are so many things that could be done in a final version of the game... and by the way, fix the pixel printer, solve that engine problem that causes it to be an ordeal xD

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  10. Catherine Franz

Would be better if they went to the No Man's Sky route where they redeemed themselves too.

The Squid likes this.
  11. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

That is not comparable, HG with NMS released a game that looked more like an alpha than a game, not even a beta, they did it badly, very badly xD but it wasn't all their fault, Sony was behind putting pressure, the main culprits of to take out the game in that state were more Sony than HG.

The proof is that afterwards they were taking updates that were improving and adding massive content to the game, even with the Atlas Rises update the game had already improved a lot and was already worth it, but they kept taking updates, today for me it is one one of the best games on this theme, with a lot of content and a lot of variety in every way.

Chucklefish with Starbound has not done that, it has been improving but when 1.0 came out it was already a good game, it had its bugs that were fixing but it did not go wrong as if NMS did in its day.

I just think that they should give the last pull to the game, that last final update that closes the game definitively, with everything I have commented on in my previous message.

12. Catherine Franz

I mean, be it no Bounty hunter update or nah, I only want that SP latency gone and I'll prolly play this endlessly but yeah, that dam- SP latency really gets me.

13. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Those are some good ideas! Speaking of race, why not make the eighth race an undead race? They can use the Felheim faction from their Wargroove. I mean, in SB there are already man, plant, fish, bird, ape, robot, and gas, so why not make eighth one something different other than all of those? An undead.

And to be honest, I don't hope that they release a final update just yet like Terraria did (that's really sad). It's too soon for Starbound to do that. There are still a lot more things that can be added to Starbound. And yeah, more optimized game is one of it.

Armorine1983 and The Squid like this.
  14. Revenile

Revenile Phantasmal Quasar

I really hope the Bounty Hunter update isn't the last one. Given some of the things that have supposedly come out over the last year or so about Chucklefish it wouldn't surprise me though, not that I entirely believe it all of course. What I'd love to see, as a previous user pointed out, is one last update. A huge one. "Starbound: Universal Update" or something like that. An update that makes many changes and enhancements to bring the game to a truly finished state. My suggestions:

Revise the intro sequence text, I have to say I like how Frackin' Universe alters it, making the graduation ceremony into a warning as well about an unknown threat causing massive destruction around the universe and that the Protectorate is tasked with investigating when Earth itself is attacked. As it is the intro is too happy and stuff with a completely sudden change from something that I find odd has reached it's influence around the universe, but somehow the HQ of the Protectorate hasn't caught wind of.

Add back in cut biomes, and maybe make some new ones, and also don't be afraid to use biomes in different hazard level planets, I'd love to see a lush planet that has some of the more out there biomes, just with less hazards, or even dangerous lush planets. The fact that all lush planets are basically safe makes it kind of old to explore them after the first couple ones unless you're looking for the perfect home planet to build your personal home on.

Cut back a bit on the spawning of the original enemies and have more of the randomly generated ones around, also add more randomly made parts/creatures to the mix. Pop Tops are cute, but their welcome runs out after the 6th one within 5 minutes on a planet that is supposed to have a ton of life on it.

Bring back the racial exclusive weapons, maybe as an entire set with different tiers, with each racial weapon having a unique power or ability, that one must befriend the races on to get the blueprints to craft.

Restore the cut items/blocks/content that has been removed with no real replacement over the years, as much as possible, and anything that cannot be re-added, remove from the file structure to make the install cleaner and take less space, and also feel more "completed".

More mech parts possibly, also more vehicles, even if they act the same, just looking different is enough for me here.

More lore, especially for the Novakids, I refuse to believe that there is NOTHING about them written down either by some of their race or someone else by the time the game starts, heck going by the intro, a novakid made it into the Protectorate, so how does that work when they're an unknown according to the lack of info on them?

Fixes and optimizations, to make the game run better. One issue I've seen is if a base's walls go off screen during rain, it can have the rain come inside on the sides because the walls aren't there, though that might be something that can't really be fixed that easily given the size of some of the bases.

Randomized bounties that don't require us to go to the dude. I should be able to take up a bounty right from my ship or base if I have the plans to make a bounty board (only able to be got by the dude once you prove yourself).

Make the color selection on character creation NOT be a left/right button click, maybe a color table or a drop down menu, so that mods like Colorbound don't take like 300 clicks just to get through a few of the colors.
    ~~~~~~
    This is my top list of things I'd want to see in an update to call the game DONE. However if I was given a dev team, had time and dedication to do it, I'd make the above changes, but also do a couple other new things:

Have two different intros, one being the Protectorate intro we have, with the changes mentioned above, for those who still want that route, but also bring back the race specific ones that were being worked on years ago that had Logan Cunningham voicing them, for those that don't want to be part of the Protectorate, but still want a start to their character. Thinks like the Avians running away from Kluex was a fascinating start point that could have had some interesting side content, heck that could still exist somehow in the game, as I'm not entire sure that the Protectorate is looked on in good terms by the followers of Kluex (as an example).

Maybe get in touch with the mod authors of a couple of the more fleshed out and beloved race mods, and officially adapt them into the game (maybe by a vote of the people) with their own intros and exclusive stuff, if possible with the help OF the original authors.
    ~~~~~~
    I feel like Starbound is a good game with some rough edges and loose ends in all aspects, and that it needs at least one huge, or a series of small updates to polish and clean it up. There's basically no reason the game needs to keep assets it no longer uses in teh current version, and some of the additions, while great to change things up, feel like there were plans to do more with them, but for whatever reason they didn't. I really feel that Starbound could be an even greater game if these updates happened, along with other suggestions on here.

Armorine1983 likes this.
  15. Armorine1983

Armorine1983 Phantasmal Quasar

I am hoping that Chucklefish will do one more final update for Starbound. If they decided to update again it would be nice for some bug fixes (the pixel printer memory leak is one example) and some quality of life content added.

For the quality of life content: I would hope for a vehicle or jet pack (that doesn't run on fuel) and have access to our tools and weapons so we can have an easier time building and not have to worry about falling all the time (i have died more times then i would like to admit because of that).

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  16. Daikon Ocelot

They need to add the 8th race, I think. There is still one missing slot in the Ancient gateway. And they also need to add more lore that explains every bit of things in Starbound.

Anyway, I am still not hoping for them to release a final update. I prefer much that they keep giving an update, even if it's just a minor bugfix or a very small content update. That will do enough for me. I like when a game keeps having a small but constant update, it keeps them alive. And I like having a game alive.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  17. Catherine Franz

I mean if they can't remove the SP latency even now, then I'm that sure the update will prolly take our whole lifetime before it happens

18. BAM-BIN-0

BAM-BIN-0 Guest

Wasn't the eighth slot a novakid face?

19. Daikon Ocelot

No. The Novakid is in the 7th slot. The 8th is empty.

20. BAM-BIN-0

BAM-BIN-0 Guest

Yeah, but i remember an image of the gate with the eighth slot intact, and there was a novakid face. Hold on, maybe i can find it now.

After a few seconds i have decided to give up. You win.

Kawa likes this.