1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

(ONLY FOR SAME RACE) Easy way to change your color & style of hair, body, eye, etc. [ENG/CHN]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Amare Toreano, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Amare Toreano

Amare Toreano Void-Bound Voyager

English/英语 (I TRIED MY BEST TO WRITE THIS. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH Orz)

I have tried CENTURIES to find out how to! If you're currently regretting about how your character looks like (just as the same as me) you can have a try! ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ

Character files are all stored in (Where your steam installs)\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player. For me, it's
    F:\SBEAM\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player.
    I suggest you to backup this folder to somewhere else to make sure that you won't lose everything if you messed it up.

The tool that must be used is Notepad++, which you can easily search and download. I haven't tried other applications yet, but what I'm sure is NOTEPAD in your system ISN'T A GOOD CHOICE FOR EDITING. You can try using it if you really have nothing else to do lol ( ‵▽′)ψ

Now here is the process:

Open the game and create a new character as you want. Notice that the race you choose must be the same as the one you want to change. Don't forget to give him/her a name that easily to remember, because it is a little bit important for searching. Once your setup is ready (like taking off clothes to make sure color/style things go as you want), quit the game and take the file you just created. Remember to open the file which stores the character you want to change. (I'll call it A)

All player data is stored in a *.player file, and you can get the right one by open it up in Notepad++ then search (Ctrl+F) the name you've given. (I'll call it B )

Leave those garbled codes alone. I know you're confused about them and I'm also confused lol. Here I'll use [] to mark the symbols in black background.

Find the longest and the last line starting with "colorIndex" for both files. This line is normally (almost) at the end of the cod, so just drag the scroll bar to the bottom and go for it.

In B, select from "identity" to "facialMaskGroup[ENQ][NUL][EOT]", then click Edit→Paste Special→Copy Binary Content. Now let's back to A, select the same as B, then click Edit→Paste Special→Paste Binary Content.

Now back to B again, select from "facialHairDirectives[ENQ][NUL][SI]", which is behind “(Your character’s name/name given to the one used for changing style)” to "facialMaskType[ENQ][NUL][EOT]", which is at the front of "team[BEL][STX][EOT]". Do the same action I wrote upon.

After all done, just save it.
    And now you should see your character is in new style. Congrats! φ(≧ω≦*)♪

For why I don't recommend directly copy all this line......

By copying without using Edit→Paste Special→Copy/Paste Binary Content (Like using copy & paste or Ctrl+C/V directly), or coping the whole line, will make your game don't read the file. In other words, Congratulations that you have to use your backup file to replace that.

中文/Chinese

N个世纪后我终于搞明白了怎么在游戏中修改人物细节了!当然仅限于同种族的((
    如果你也在纠结自己捏出来的没那么好康,也可以试试ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ

人物文件就放在(你所安装Steam的目录下)\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player的*.player中。比如我的就是F:\SBEAM\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player
    建议备份下这个文件夹,免得出什么幺蛾子搞得肝了*个月的存档就这么没了。

推荐使用Notepad++,因为系统自带的真心会毁掉你的存档,而且其他的我还没试过。当然你真的闲着没事干的话不妨可以试试用其他的软件来捣鼓下鸭( ‵▽′)ψ

以下是步骤:

打开游戏按照你所想的样子建个和你打算修改的人物同一种族的人物,记得取个好记的名字之后用。等你弄好了(例如进到游戏脱♂下人家的衣服来确保这是你想要的效果)之后就可以关掉游戏进入目录找到你新建的那个存档了。按Ctrl+F来搜索你想改的那个人物的名字,如果有,那你打开的是正确的文件。在这里我称其为A。

同理找到你新建的角色的文件,这里我称其为B。

打开A和B。先别管那些看得很像乱码的代码(其实我也看不懂23333)这里我用[]来表示那些黑底白字的字符。

把滚动条拉到最后,找到最后也是最长的一行以“colorIndex”开头的代码。两个文件都得这样先找到。

然后转到B,选中从“identity”到“facialMaskGroup[ENQ][NUL][EOT]”的一段,点“编辑(E)→选择性粘贴→复制二进制”。再转到A,选择上述片段,执行“编辑(E)→选择性粘贴→粘贴二进制”。如果不小心装了英文版的话,选“Edit→Paste Special→Copy(复制)/Paste(粘贴) Binary Content”。

同理转到B,选中“(你给的名字/你要改的人物的名字)[DC4]”后面的从“facialHairDirectives[ENQ][NUL][SI]” 到在“team[BEL][STX][EOT]”之前的“facialMaskType[ENQ][NUL][EOT]”一段,重复上述操作。

最后保存文件,打开游戏,万事OK。恭喜啦~ φ(≧ω≦*)♪

关于为什么不复制完一整行的问题...

如果你没用“编辑(E)→选择性粘贴→复制/粘贴二进制”而是直接复制粘贴或者Ctrl+C/V,或者复制了一整行的话,恭喜你,还是把备份的文件复制进去吧。

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

There is a better way!

In your Starbound\win32 folder there are two utility programs:
    dump_versioned_json.exe
    make_versioned_json.exe

A knowledge of using command line programs and/or batch files is necessary.

Using a command like:
    Code:
    [path]\dump_versioned_json.exe [path]\ea34b59a6bb9ab5c072b58098344e138.player [path]\ea34b59a6bb9ab5c072b58098344e138.json
    (where [path] is the location of the relevant files)
    will allow you to create a .json version of your .player file which is readable.
    You can then edit this file in a text editor more easily.

When finished you need to run
    Code:
    [path]\make_versioned_json.exe [path]\ea34b59a6bb9ab5c072b58098344e138.json [path]\ea34b59a6bb9ab5c072b58098344e138.player
    to create a new .player file from your edited version.

3. Amare Toreano

So this is an easier way of the latest version of game... Thanks A LOT! o(* ̄▽ ̄*)ブ

4. CheekytheFox

CheekytheFox Space Hobo

I cant run the program on Windows 10, "This app can't run on your PC"
    How do I get around this? compatibility settings dont work I went down to windows XP and nothing. I also checked if I ran everything in administrator and that looked fine.
    any help?

5. Amare Toreano

Sorry for long response, you have to open the direction of those two files, click shift + rmb select "open with powershell"
    type: cmd
    then follow the instructions above
    have fun!