Tree Fertilizer and early access

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Dec 7, 2019.

1. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I read the guide, kudos for him to create something like that but it's kinda outdated with the upcoming of the iridium quality fish, in some instances of the guide is better to sell fish for make money and purchase raw materials from both Clint and Robin since they are very cheap in the first year, waste energy chopping trees for 300 wood with the regular axe is a major waste of time in my opinion, I know that he did that for the exp but it can be compensated by taking a extra day on Cindersap Forest.
    Also, Fiber now is the secret treasure from the game, I believe that the Wilderness Farm will be better for this strategy because golems drop 1-2 fiber, so it's a extra backup of fiber assuming that you will kill at least one golem peer day, the map size is ok and we aren't losing too much by picking this layout.

Important Edit:
    I just got 4 rice seeds killing one golem inside the farm, one more reason to start with this map!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Grimgaw

Grimgaw Space Spelunker

There's infinite fiber in the mines.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

Any floor in particular? Since we never cared about fiber before I never keep track of what floor have most fiber, also the desert sells fiber for 5 stone pieces, meaning that each fiber piece cost 500g (or 100g in year one), I think that by the end of spring we can purchase fiber instead of farm if need.
        (I didn't knew that his items change daily, the cheese and staircase looks like a bargain!)
        https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Desert_Trader

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know which floor of the mines is "heavy" for fiber.

But the bug lair in the sewers is.
          And, yes that guide is old and obsolete, but there are still valid points in it to be considered in this discussion I thought. Considering the rush for secret woods opens up a lot more forageable hardwood stumps early in game.

• Arqane

Arqane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, though I skimmed through the last half: The mines are actually a good spot to get foraging xp. You can't abuse the mushroom floors as much anymore, but every single item you pick up (mushrooms, quartz, tears) gives you the full 7xp that any outside forage would give you. And while only a couple outside spots on the map can reliably get you 4 forageables within a couple hours, the mines definitely can if you're there with a focus on foraging. I know I mostly skip quartz when I have enough, but that can add up pretty fast if you take the couple seconds to go over and pick up each one.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Not really. Picked up minerals give no xp. So it's just the mushrooms that give foraging xp in the mines.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

While you don't normally get XP for foraged minerals, if you chose Gatherer at Foraging 5, you get 7 XP for the second item when you get a double forage

• ShneekeyTheLost

So you have a 20% chance of xp gain but only after you've got Foraging 5. Interesting, but less useful given our situation.

• Arqane

Arqane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OK, my bad. Just remember seeing it bumping up back when I used SMAPI to show the xp. Didn't notice it was only happening on the double pulls or the mushrooms.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

The wiki says when you get double harvest you get 3 each for 6 total. Not 7 each for 14. Is this not correct?

• One More Day

3 XP each is for harvesting forage grown from seeds; wild forage is worth 7 XP per item

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2019
                        • KThomas14

KThomas14 Subatomic Cosmonaut

One nice thing about this strategy that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that if you can get to Foraging 6 by the start of salmonberry season, you can buy pancakes from Gus for +2 foraging and get +2 wild berry harvesting instead of +1. It should then be possible to either get extreme amounts of salmonberries, or simply harvest salmonberries for fewer days. In either case, getting the steel axe by Spring 12 would be a requirement, in my opinion, as the extra experience and energy savings would be extremely beneficial.

• One More Day

Extreme amounts of salmonberries are unnecessary IMO. Even without the steel axe for access to the secret woods, as long as you have the +1 berry bonus, two days of harvesting will typically get over 200 berries, which should be more than enough to see you through. And Gus doesn't have pancakes aren't part of his permanent stock anyway, so getting Foraging 6 would almost always be a huge amount of wasted energy, rather than an opportunity to gain energy.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
                            • ShneekeyTheLost

I'm having enough trouble squeezing in Foraging 4 before Salmonberry Season... I don't think Foraging 6 is going to be viable for most players. To hit Foraging 6 consistently, you'd need to be burning Energy at a prodigious rate being a lumberjack. And that's okay, if that's your thing. But from a cost analysis perspective, it would probably be cheaper to just buy the food you were going to use to do your chopping and use it in the mines instead.

• KThomas14

KThomas14 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've checked a few of my old playthroughs, and I've only had Foraging 4 at the start of salmonberry season, although I haven't tried to maximize this before. I've always thought Foraging 8 to be unobtainable before. I think Foraging 5 could be obtainable either by or during salmonberry season with a focus on it (i.e. prioritize iron axe and focus on hardwood). However, the only food that grants +3 Foraging is the Survival Burger. Obviously we can't make the Survival Burger without a kitchen, and if we have the kitchen early the need for salmonberries is reduced drastically. We still need the ingredients to cook into food in Spring 1, so Salmonberries are still nice since it will only take time, not energy and money, to gather them. Thus, the only potential source for the Survival Burger early game is the Traveling Cart, which is obviously not reproducible. Merely 1 would likely not be a huge benefit, since the buff only lasts for 5min 35s. If I ever find an early Survival Burger, I'll probably try to use it for a little boost, but upon further examination it's not looking strong enough to build a strategy around. I'd like to be around Foraging 5 at this time anyways, as I'm still trying to get an early stable. It's really too bad the Field Snacks don't have the Survival Burger's effect; I've never cooked the Survival Burger as it's largely meaningless by the time you can actually make it. It would be fantastic if we could consistently make it in Spring Year 1.

• Shoukry

Shoukry Big Damn Hero

I am a lot hazy with everything, but I recall having decent luck gathering zounds of acorns by eating the acorns via field snacks. As long as you hit Foraging 1 on Day 1, coupled with the bug fix where leveling Foraging during the day prevented tree seeds from dropping or being collected, you could deforest the farm (129 trees) and Cindersap Forest (54) with the maples and oaks pretty quickly this way (2,196 xp) and harvest the seeds on the farm from stumps, which everyone is already advocating. If you can chop all those trees and have a steel axe by the 11th you could chop the hidden forest each day with no other foraging the rest of the month. Or you could wait until getting the steel axe before spending much time chopping? Something along the lines of days 2-4 fishing for cash, 5-9 mining, 10 Journey of the Prairie King, and 11-21 chopping.

However, I lean toward @One More Day's thinking in why try to rush to Foraging 7 when so many oaks could be planted normally and ostensibly be ready for your first summer harvest? This feels a little bit like the Speed-Gro+Strawberry rush, where it is possible to do it, but it might not be worth doing. I suppose my question would be how many tapped oak trees are you looking to have and by what date? This should help everyone pinpoint a better overall strategy, which may or may not need the tree fertilizer.

• squigglyruth

squigglyruth Pangalactic Porcupine

I managed a straight foraging 8 within salmonberry season on a playthrough in which I was trying for earliest possible foraging 10. Not something to be combined with a normal play strategy, though.

• attorneyatlol

attorneyatlol Intergalactic Tourist

Wait, is there some trick involving Journey of the Prairie King I've never heard of before?

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So Haboo said in today's stream that's wrong, and I confirmed - harvesting 4 regular forage + 11 forage from seeds gives level 1 foraging, which implies that they're also 7 xp each since 4*7+3*11 = 61 but you need 100xp for level 1.

Not sure if anyone is still interested in pushing foraging, but if you are then spring seeds seem like they could actually be useful for that.

One More Day likes this.
                                        • ShneekeyTheLost

Did you take into consideration xp gained from chopping trees?