Create a Raspberry Pi 4 version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fxavier, Feb 27, 2020.

1. fxavier

fxavier Intergalactic Tourist

Hello everyone.
    I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

My question is whether we will have a version compatible with Raspberry Pi 4.
    This amazing mini board has the hardware specifications compatible with that requested by SV (at least the 4Gb version of RAM).

The problem is that (the Steam variant) requires specific drivers for the ARM/aarch architecture. Without the Steam launcher there is no way to run the games there (not in a simple way).

I have already met some users who managed to port the platform, using the version provided by GOG (I don't know if this is allowed/legal), however it is a little difficult, such as installing Mono and some other packages. From what I read for a few days, this does not seem to be very complicated for those with knowledge, because apparently the game was developed in C# and this makes the job easier. In addition, there are already versions for Android, where I know is the same architecture.

I would definitely give money for an ARM version if it were "download, install and play".

Thank you all.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I'm assuming you're running Raspian on your Pi? Simplest solution is to run the Android version through Anbox or other android app emulation station. Since you're already on ARM architecture there should be no compatibility issues whatsoever.

Failing that, you're going to need to run Steam through ExaGear, which is dependent upon the KMS GL Driver, which permits it to run x86 programs. However, to my knowledge, ExaGear isn't free, so that might be an issue for you.

• fxavier

Thanks for the answer!

I'm actually using Core Ubuntu with Lubuntu Desktop, but there's not that much difference between them. And both are unable to run Steam.

Anbox seems like an interesting solution, I will check. The problem is that it is an emulation, which ends up consuming more resources than normal.
        It would be desirable to run the game without intermediaries.

ExaGear was discontinued in Feb/19. The Eltechs developer no longer exists.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Eh, AnBox is no more an emulation than WINE is. It's a compatibility layer, sure, which means a few more resources, but the Pi 4 is more than powerful enough to handle it without issue. It should, at least, be a solution to your problem.

• fxavier

Unfortunately I was not successful.
            AnBox does not run on ARM64 architecture.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Try this fork.

• Toear

Toear Space Hobo

This works 100!!!