Modding Help Custom Race Fullbright Parts?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Omeruin, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Omeruin

Omeruin Void-Bound Voyager

Is it possible to have a race use custom fullbright parts?
    I want to make JUST the eyes glow, and nothing else. Would I need to make a "fullbright" sheet for femalehead and malehead and apply that fullbright somehow? How would I apply those sprites to the race? Via status effect or something else?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I know
    Code:
      "humanoidOverrides" : {
        "bodyFullbright" : true
      },
    exists, but that's for making the ENTIRE body glow in the dark.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I haven't done a race, so lack some experience there. I don't know of what other "humanoidOverrides" are available (if any). It could be the devs only added "bodyFullbright" that they needed for the Novakid and no others. For just the eyes I think for that, you may have to rely upon particles. Rather than the ember type, you would want a particle that projects an PNG file. As such you may want to make the eyes transparent and put the particles at
    Code:
    "renderLayer": "Player-1"
    I'm sure you already noticed "statusEffects" in the species definitions, so you could make your own. I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind for eye glow, but it could also be a point-light effect inherent in the species. An example could be found
    /stats/effects/skullheadlamp

Omeruin likes this.
  3. Omeruin

I've checked absolutely everything, the devs made only that one for "humanoidOverrides". Nothing else exists.
    Oh, particles? I didn't think of that.. Great idea!
    Yeah, I've made some "racial" effects before!
    So, since the race has different, chooseable eye colors via character creation.. How would that work? As for making the transparency, what do you mean exactly? And as for the particles themselves.. Would they have an indefinite lifespan? Or can the destructionTime be zero (or very little)?
    I'm just trying to understand how this would work exactly.. I haven't exactly worked with
    Code:
    "renderLayer": "Player-1"
    before either..
    And sorry, I say glow but I really just mean having the eyes "fullbright"; the character themselves wouldn't have a different literal glow or light around them.

Thanks for responding!

I'm trying to piece together something right now, and the problems I currently see are:
    1. Doesn't follow player head directly (is that possible?) meaning: When player crouches or runs, the eye particles stay exactly where they are but "spread" across the screen.
    2. Doesn't flip when player turns.
    3. It renders over the eyes, so when the player blinks nothing happens to the eye particles.
    4. Goes over any hair on the player.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2020
  4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@Omeruin Please don't stack posts. Use the edit function to add to your posts or wait for someone else to reply first. I've merged your posts.

5. Omeruin

Sorry, it did not occur to me at the time to use the edit function.

6. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Any idea which txt file i type that code into?