RELEASED 6/9/18 FULLY COMPLETED Pencilstab's Portraits (Character sprite edits available!)

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by pencilstab, Mar 24, 2016.

?

Who's next?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2016.
  1. Harvey

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Leah

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Sam

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Alex

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Haley

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  6. Maru

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. Sebastian

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. Penny

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. SpringsSong

SpringsSong Cosmic Narwhal

-vibrates with excitement-

• sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

Hey guys! Just a heads up that if you use the sprites in 1.4 they don't fully work! There is a new animation for the bacehlor/ettes that is not included on the sheet. Your game won't break, but when those animations come up the character will vanish. I don't have any immediate plans to fix this, but if someone else wants to take a crack at it I give full permission to edit.

• Rebochan

Rebochan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well I wanted to play Stardew Valley again after over a year and when updating my mods I learned this mod was put out of date eek. Since @sheetcakeghost gave permission in the thread, I've gone ahead and edited the sprite sheets so the modded versions will work with 1.4.

Let me know if this has any issues, because there's only a handful of places where the new sprites appeared and all of the "spouse" sprites require individual marriages... yea, testing help would be appreciated.

How to install:

1. Install Pencilstab's Completed Portraits & Sheetcakeghost Sprites mod.

2. Go into the mod's directory in your mod folder and locate the Characters folder (Stardew Valley\Mods\Pencilstab's Completed Portraits PUT THIS IN MOD FOLDER\assets\Characters)

3. Unzip the new spritesheets into this folder and overwrite the ones from the mod.

Thanks to both Pencilstab and Sheetcakeghost for the original mod and all your hardwork. I just love this mod so much I wanted it to stay alive.

EDIT: Updated version added, should fix the bugs! Please help out by testing :)

EDIT EDIT: Okay, it looks like this ZIP file had the wrong sheet for Abigail included in the ZIP file. I have corrected this. Sorry it took so long, it's my own fault for not keeping up with this! But if anyone still wants to play this without Abby's feet on her head, you can now do so. In case there's any more naughty sprites, please share a screenshot when you see something off. There's not that many sprites on the spritesheet so it saves a lot of time for me on debugging :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
          kchp likes this.
        • Rebochan

I've done another fast pass on the spritesheets, as it turns out, Photoshop was chopping off what it thought was "dead space" in the PNGs when I'd export them so the spritesheets were always off by that number of pixels. I had to re-edit most of them a second time in another image program to add back the "empty space" and double-checked against the original spritesheets from the game to ensure the dimensions were correct and the sprites were correctly aligned. No more floating Flower Festival dancers, no more Maru on stilts, no more Abigail with her feet on her head :rofl:

Any testing would be great.

• luijma

luijma Space Hobo

Hi Rebochan! Did you update the link above with the fixes? I'm interested in downloading your fix :)

I basically just replace the character files in the previous mod with your images right?

• l3rokken4ngel

l3rokken4ngel Void-Bound Voyager

I can confirm that Abigail's feet are still on her head. I just downloaded the sprites today. Not sure if you got the file reuploaded correctly, or if you did, Abby's feet are still on her head (forward facing she's okay, sides she's got feet on her head). Let me know when you update again and I'll redownload it. :)

(It did fix my missing Harvey in bed though! Thank you!)

• Rebochan

Hey guys, I'm so sorry I never saw these messages, I've been out of the SDV loop for a bit, none of the forum messages reached me offsite, and neither did the one from the person who reached to me on Nexus mods :(

I'm going to investigate this right now.

• Rebochan

Well good news, this was an easy fix, the wrong sprite sheet was in the ZIP but I did a quick test on Abigail anyway to make sure something wasn't wrong with the one I had in my game directory. I'm really sorry for leaving a bug like that for so long!

• tiffy961

tiffy961 Pangalactic Porcupine

I really really really really hope this mod will be updated to 1.5 because it's one of my favourite ones.

• l3rokken4ngel

Agreed! Came here to see if anyone had posted about it yet. LOL

Worst case scenario, I guess I could just play with the pictures and not the sprites. I just love the sprites now, too.

• Rebochan

I haven’t been able to get the game to run since 1.5 but I’d like to maintain sprites anyway. Main problem now is everything related to the island has news portraits and sprites as well. But those are separate sprite sheets for the portraits and sprites so it theoretically should work just fine only with the old portraits popping in when you go to the island and see the swimsuit portraits. Go ahead and list any bugs you find here anyway, I’ll do my best.

Quick glance at the regular villager sprites, I only need to update for one more sprite per sheet. I don’t know what those new sprites are for though, anyone know? That will help me test them.

I did reach out to @pencilstab through her tumblr to let her know about the situation and ask if she was willing to come back and update the mod one more time, but I haven’t heard back yet. I gather she’s very busy now plus it’s Christmas. I don’t actually know her though, I just picked up the sprite maintenance because I love this mod

tiffy961 likes this.
                        • l3rokken4ngel

I'm assuming the additional sprites per sheet would be the beach scene as well. And I'm perfectly okay with the sprites and original portraits being around just for the beach scene so long as they work everywhere else. I haven't tested it to see if it would work yet though. I can turn my mods on and give it a go, just habit to turn everything off that isn't updated since I play bigger games that can break if I don't (fallout, skyrim, etc.).

Edit: So I just re-enabled everything, and it's working... but until I get to whatever the new beach scene is, I can't really test to see if people just straight up disappear... or if it'll show the old sprites. The new beach portraits seem separate, but not sure about the sprites. Guess we'll see! lol

If anyone finds out let us know!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
                          • Rebochan

Well according to the unpacks, all the beach content is pulling from a different set of spritesheets for the portraits and the sprites themselves. So these aren't going to break each other hopefully. I could go and do the beach sprite edits too, which would take a little longer but they wouldn't match the old portraits.

I did hear from pencilstab, she's busy as a full-time artist now, but she *may* come back to update the portraits if she has time. IF that happens, well, I'll be busy but no worries, I'd like to still keep the mod going. I'm going to try and do an update next week and set up a test case when I figure out what that one extra sprite on the original villager sprite sheets is used for.

pencilstab likes this.
                            • pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

**Pasting from my comment on the NexusMods forum!

Hey huns!

Obviously it's been a hot minute since I've updated this mod; not since 1.3, I believe, and at the moment I don't have too many plans on updating, as I currently work full-time as a comic artist.

That being said, I appreciate the outreaching of support for this mod, and while I can't guarantee anything, I do still love SDV and would love to redo this portrait mod (for the third time, lmao) and also make it compatible with Seasonal Outfits/Diverse SDV- two personal favorites of mine.

Again, if I do find time to update this mod, it might be a bit, but I will do my best and try to keep y'all updated. I will say my stance has changed in terms of editing my mod to be compatible with 1.5; please feel free, but do not reupload without credit or anything of that sort. If y'all have any questions, I can be reached @Speremint on Twitter, Tumblr, and @Speremints on Instagram.

Nimthiel and tiffy961 like this.
                              • pencilstab

pencilstab Pangalactic Porcupine

upload_2021-2-10_23-32-17.png

A wip to show y'all this time I'm serious, lol :')

• tiffy961

tiffy961 Pangalactic Porcupine

Weeeeeh! I'm so excited I could scream. Thank you for keeping us updated. It is and always will be my favourite portrait mod.

• angelmgf103

angelmgf103 Void-Bound Voyager

goodness gracious these are amazing. I was just coming to see if there had been any update. I've been using your portraits exclusively for a long time. I really hope you are able to update everything eventually, and wish you luck with your work.

• eirynfox

eirynfox Big Damn Hero

YES! I have been hoping there would be updates. This is the best mod!

• Rebochan

Oh my gosh, this makes me so happy :)

So I didn't get a chance to play the 1.5 update and I suddenly had a dumptruck of life hit me, but I am still game to update sheetcakeghost's sprites as needed for the mod. If there's any current bugs, let me know and I can try and get those done now.

• Nimthiel

Nimthiel Void-Bound Voyager

I'm so happy I could cry! I can't use any other portraits other than yours, I love your art style. While you're in the process, were you planning on making portraits for the new Stardew expanded characters?