1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the eight face on the portal for?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Crispyballz, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Frost Spectre

Frost Spectre Big Damn Hero

Dunno about agarians, since they're just Florans with specific armor set and mushroom heads, no own models yet.

I also put on 8th race...

2. tehPhunnee

tehPhunnee Title Not Found

If CF has decided they want to add an 8th species to the game and stop at 8, of all the infinite possibilities the one that makes most sense to me would be a renegade tentacle creature who broke away from the tentacle monster that destroyed Earth.

Again this is only if CF decides they'll only add an 8th species and no more afterwards.

3. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

that just mean they didn't waste their time making a whole model and instead just placed a mushroom hat over a floran model

it doesn't mean they're actual florans

The Squid likes this.
  4. DialgaTheTimeLord

DialgaTheTimeLord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd bet anyone 10000 pixels it's the penguin.

Heartstrings likes this.
  5. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Maybe it refers to all modded races. You know, they could add that as an actual feature part of their mod support. You go to crate character, and you get an 8th race icon, click on it, and a panel to the right appears, with a list of all races added by mods, and you can play with those.

Heartstrings and The Squid like this.
  6. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I'm going with either the penguins or the ancient race that created the Glitch and uplifted the Avians. I'm willing to bet they got wiped out by the Beast from Beyond the Stars just like Earth was, in a self-perpetuating cycle similar to Mass Effect's plot.

Oh, and spoilers, if, you know, there's somebody out there who ISN'T aware of the Reapers yet.

7. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Maybe they could use the Peglaci race as the 8th official race? The armor and weapons already exist, all they'd have to do is create higher ship tiers and you know, get the okay from Djinn to use the race.

8. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

Do you happen to be familiar with a tabletop RPG called Exalted? Because if not then boy do I have an eldritch abomination for you....

9. MFranks

MFranks Void-Bound Voyager

Some say he travels through space and time, Backwards!

Some say he only eats soup, with a knife and fork!

All we know is that he's called The Stig!

[​IMG]

Silliness aside, I think for now the 8th face is a place holder just encase they come up with a new race in the future or even have a competition to design the new race.
    Other than that your guess is as good as mine.

10. cooldrewo

cooldrewo Void-Bound Voyager

money is on mushroom people head

11. WolvenDragon

WolvenDragon Big Damn Hero

back before the game was released it held this kickstarter like thing to fund development, and the more money that was added the more we the player bace would get, what they didnt expect was we CRUSHED there goals, and got alot of stuff, and right at the deadline we were close to unlocking a 8th race, technically if memory serves me well, nova kids were the last unlocked race we did on that charity thing

12. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

pretty sure the kickstarter goal was for a 7th race, which ended up being the novakid through a community competition. I personally believe the 8th slot to be for the mysterious fossil species, if only because at one point there was a ruin eye in the 8th slot which seems fitting for a cyclopial species like the mysterious fossil one. but that's just me

13. Lemon drops

Lemon drops Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always theorised that the 8th face was for the gatebuilders within the game world, who later got the akhenaten treatment for a mysterious reason.

Now for the crack theory:
    This reason, I sometimes like to think, is that they actually created the ruin as some sort of bioweapon that later escaped containment, or was for peaceful purposes and later mutated. After the cultivator effectively died to lock the ruin away, they felt guilt and smashed their faces from the gates that they built. It could also be that the faces were smashed off by another species that were harmed by the ruin before it was sealed.

The Squid likes this.
  14. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

heh, I actually have my own theory that's pretty similar with the ruin, only it was the mysterious fossil species who created the ruin as a bioweapon to eliminate the ancients and it simply went out of control in their hubris

nice to see someone else who doesn't think that the ruin is some ridiculous eldritch god that cannot be truly killed or something silly like that

15. DemChanges

DemChanges Void-Bound Voyager

Far as I remember there was a one eyed face there then eventually removed in some patch.

Novakids were added years after the kickstarter and speaking of it we never even got what was promised, not just from the kickstarter but through the years of promises etc. Instead the game was always alive thanks to the community and had mod driven content as main means of gaming that some of them eventually got reworked (botched) then added to the game as "official content" while bunch of other things got removed.

Hence of my love-hate relationship with the so called "updates" and the overall development of this game.

Also there was a canon that I am not sure anymore if it's official post or not that the last spot was empty left on purpose so modders can add a face of their favorite created race. One that they find superior from others. Which some did exactly that through the years.
    If you remember there was a rabbit race that vanished, you can find their statue in tombs. Someone made a mod of that race and added their face to the gate. There are bunch of others just mentioning context wise.

And as for some topics about sub-races. YES Agarans are a branch of Florans, same as Frogg being a branch of Hylotl. And so on it goes. Don't over-complicate yourself with random crap and overblow some sub-races and everything that is in the game because otherwise the gate would be insanely bigger and would have every God damn face on it ... because bla...

And don't forget Steve, I vote to add his face on the gate too... (I don't)

Give some crap a rest and focus only on the most plasable things, facts are what matter, speculations and theories are a waste of time and energy. So do yourselves and others a favor.

16. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I wouldn't exactly call the Frogg a branch from the Hylotl at all, they hardly have any biological similarities to begin with, in fact the npc races in general seem to be more just primitives to populate the galaxy with and indicate that it's not all abound the 7 playable races. Only the Agaran seem related to the Floran.

also speculations and theories are far from a waste of time and energy, we only have so many facts to work with in vanilla lore, and there's plenty of insinuations and hints that lead people to theorycraft, especially when the results can be made solid through mods. Besides, it's a lot of fun, you might as well be saying here that playing SB (and by extension any video game) is a waste of time and energy because it's just fiction. People make fan theories for the same reason they play video games or watch films, for the sake of fun and entertainment.

17. DemChanges

Before I start just to make it clear when I write YOU I don't mean specifically you, it's just an generalization. If someone gets insulted by what I write, that isn't my problem but yours and it's time to work on yourself. These are facts and I don't deal with BUT IFs etc because they are pointless. It's information that steers off the established road and leads nowhere but into a disaster.

Gaming in general falls under lots of branches. Especially in the last decade it spread like crazy. So there is lot of gray area that some like to use as selfdefence in their poor life choices but in reality none of it really matters nor is kept as an actual selfdefence point.
    It's the same way when you are being asked a question you answer with a question especially if it's not related to the given topic. You are just avoiding the obvious.

A waste of time while gaming is when you don't have a life and only play games, some games shouldn't even be called games that is how toxic and pointless they are.

Not a waste of time if someone plays games in a healthy amounts and consumes the coherent parts of it. Otherwise you are bombarding your brain and system with negative information that you don't ever need, that is damaging or can eventually perma damage yourself well-being.

And some even use the worst games possible as therapy but it's not a permanent cure for anything, just a placebo and something that damages you even more.

The luckiest ones can be said are the ones who actually make a living from gaming, because they get paid for their wasted time, otherwise it's pretty much, yes you guessed it just wasted time of your life that you will never get or buy back
    and life is way too short to be stuck on one or two things especially pointless things.

You might not regret it today but you will tomorrow. Or just keep telling lies to yourself till the end how you are doing or did the right things in life.

Live and learn on mistakes and don't repeat them, be it yours or others mistakes. I learned from others growing up, then from mines when I didn't listen to my instincts, I learned not to repeat the same mistakes and suggest everyone do the same.

Because at the end there is no point of crying over spilled milk, it's gone.

18. Gameing to the max

Gameing to the max Aquatic Astronaut

actually there is a picture somewhere out there of a version of the gate with the 8th face present and it was a ruin eye

19. DemChanges

Which I already mentioned but here is a picture to confirm it. It was in a dev-blog but no clue where and I wont be bothered to look it up. Also was at one point in the game but patched out.

[​IMG]

Related note. Some said it's the ancients, well there is no point of adding their face considering they are the main race and you already have them above and around the gate. The other races who helped building the colony and pretty much were created by the ancients etc only the faces are engraved into the stone.

Also it still doesn't make sense to have the tentacle race as the 8th race due to many reasons. Also once again like the ancients they are already pictured around the gate, no need to put extra faces on.

If anything it makes far more sense that the one eyed faces are from the Eye race, the one that went extinct. You can find their fossils everywhere but everyone is puzzled who they might be or what their age is.

There are also few other alien races. But that one kinda have far more connection to all this then anything else.

Another note that the shadow folks might easily be the remains or branch of the ancients. Their theme is kinda same as the ancients one just far darker. Once again no need to put them on the gate.