1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Hey guys! Dev here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hopoo, May 5, 2013.

1. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

Is it a custom engine and what language is it in (programming, not English)?
    Also, when the kick starter ends, will there be no way to actually buy the game until its release, or do you plan to only cancel the chance of being in the beta?

Also, how do you plan to overcome the abbreviation issue:

Risk Of Rain = RoR​
    Ruby On Rails = RoR​
    Rigs Of Rods = RoR​

Risk of Rain is a great game, challenging, but great! Haven't played it for a while though (nearly a year, have version 0.29.0_.1 (from the .zip)), so I can't wait to play it again, with new features!

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

In Kickstarter, you can read that game is created in Game Maker: Studio

• Galdius

Galdius Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey everybody and devellopers!
        What's happen when a player die in the co-op mode?

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

• Ar-Kane

Ar-Kane Void-Bound Voyager

Hi hopoo I just wanted to ask what version of game maker your using to make this game?
          Like standard pro or ? Thanks in advance.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

They're using Game Maker: Studio. ;)

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

Congrats on 4x the Kickstarter goal!! You guys totally deserve it!

• Ar-Kane

I know that but there are different versions of game maker studio

• QuaziPance

QuaziPance Subatomic Cosmonaut

on the kickstarter page they say that part of the funds will go towards purchasing game maker 8. So my guess would be they are currently using some game maker < 8.

EDIT: Just realized this quote was a few posts back, so I pasted it here.

"Upgrading GameMaker. While we have gone off an older version, purchasing either GM Studio or GM 8.1 will allow us to not only have increased performance, but possibly Mac, Linux, and other platform support as well!"

• Ar-Kane

Yes I saw that post I mainly want to know what version (standard or pro) because I am looking at buying a version for my son who is in school using the free version.

• kagenn

kagenn Pangalactic Porcupine

Good job with the game, was a bit too late to back the kickstarter, but up-voted on Greenlight. Enjoying the demo. :up:

• Nymbus

Nymbus Space Penguin Leader

Where did you get the name Risk of Rain from??

Lachee likes this.
                        • Vennox

Vennox Void-Bound Voyager

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

You are confused. The Game Maker engine comes in three variaties: Game Maker Lite, Game Maker Pro and Game Maker Studio. Game Maker Lite and Pro have version numbers, 8.1 being the most recent one. Game Maker Studio is something else, that's targeted at being able to develop in HTML5 and has cross-platform support. Trust me, I'm a happy GM user myself, have been for 5 years now.

From personal experience, I'll tell you that I enjoyed Game Maker 8.0 the most so far - it's the version I still have. I've heard rumours of game-breaking errors that exist in GM 8.1 that the team over at YoYoGames simply refuse to fix and more such nasty tales. I can't tell you all of this with the greatest of knowledge - only rumours they are that I have read.

But: Game Maker has never disappointed me so far, and I'm now skilled to such an extent that in half an hour, I can whip up a quick local multiplayer game to entertain my younger cousins when they come over. The community at the GMC is really friendly and Risk of Rain is another such projects that can show the potential of the engine. Of course it has its downsides - but you'll have to decide about them yourself. For beginning programmers, GM is a great way to get started into the gaming industry. Game Maker Studio is something I'd not look into unless you're really certain it's what you want - a development suite rather than a kid-friendly yet still quite powerful game creating engine.

EDIT:
                          [
                          And from certain things that the game does and my experience with Game Maker, I'm almost certain they've used Game Maker Pro. It's around $20, if I'm not mistaken.
                          ]
                          ----

CONGRATULATIONS, Risk of Rain Devs!! I'm glad I've had the opportunity to be part of your funding project and I hope the money you made takes you as far as you can dream to go. With $15,000 over the last stretch goal, what can you say are your prospects for the future of the game? :)

Regulith likes this.