Comments on Profile Post by Xylia

1. Xylia
    Xylia
    I googled and found out that for example, the Daytona 500 is 500 miles (obviously). 2018's, had 40 cars. Each racecar gets roughly 5 miles per gallon. This means that 4,000 gallons of high-octane (not normal!) fuel was used roughly. (cont)
    Mar 1, 2018
    MilkCalf likes this.
  2. Xylia
    Xylia
    My car gets ~22MPG. Maybe more maybe less. Somewhere in that neighborhood. I drive 14 miles round-trip to my workplace about 5 times per week. Using this math, the Daytona 500 used enough fuel to have fueled my car for at least TWENTY-FOUR YEARS. At least. Probably more because they use 98 octane instead of 94 (?) octane fuel.
    Mar 1, 2018
    MilkCalf likes this.
  3. Xylia
    Xylia
    That's just so absurdly ridiculous. People are yammering about climate change this, climate change that.... why aren't we shutting down NASCAR, again? Oh right, they pump lots of money into the government and a lot of people watch it for entertainment, like 40 cars going around a perpetual left-hand turn is somehow fun...
    Mar 1, 2018
    MilkCalf likes this.
  4. General Nuclear
    General Nuclear
    Why arn't we covering most of the worlds deserts in solar panels and then sending the energy down to china so they can shut down those coal power plants since they are the worlds biggest polluters. no really? The worlds energy crises could be solved by covering a few life less deserts with solar panels.
    Apr 17, 2018
  5. Xylia
    Xylia
    Well, solar panels are not free, though. And they require maintenance. I don't feel that really compares with shutting down NASCAR, but I do think that we could be using more solar rooftops, etc. (Cont)
    Apr 17, 2018
  6. Xylia
    Xylia
    Solar panels take a few years to get ROI, and of course once you do get ROI then it's awesome, but until then you're waiting to break even. Also, many power grids across the world are built on outdated technology and few want to do sweeping overhauls of their power grids (cont)
    Apr 17, 2018
  7. Xylia
    Xylia
    ... and care needs to be taken when you do use solar in conjuction with conventional power, because you're just not going to be able to run a household on solar alone. Solar definitely has its uses, but it has drawbacks and limitations.
    Apr 17, 2018
  8. Xylia
    Xylia
    But again... like I said, constructing millions of dollars worth of solar arrays in the desert and trying to keep them all maintained is not like shutting down NASCAR, tractorpulling, etc.
    Apr 17, 2018