1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

BYOS Custom Race Extender Avali + Tutorial 1.2

Get BYOS for your Avali or learn how to do it yourself for other races

1. Amber Talamasca
    This mod extends the BYOS functionality to custom races.

Required: BYOS 1.3 or higher, as well as the original mod for the race you want to use.

Use notepad++, or your plain text editor of choice. No Word, wordpad or similar office products, basic notepad will work if you don't have anything else.

Stuff in between <> will need to be replaced.
    <racename> = the name of the race as it is used in the the ships folder
    <modname> = the name of the custom race mod, as defined in the .modinfo of the original mod.
    <enter your name here> = i think you know what to do.

Have the following files in your mod folder (starbound/mods/byoscr<racename>):

.metadata
    universe_server.config.patch
    /ships/<racename>/blockkey.config
    /quests/story/bootship.questtemplate.patch

Note that to make the .metadata file in windows, don't call it .metadata, but add in an extra . at the end, so .metadata.
    The dot will disappear, and the file is now in place. Turn off the option hide known extensions in windows explorer. If you do not know how to do that, google it or click here.

One last note before we go into the actual files. The mod included in this tutorial is open to use as reference for what I'm telling below. Use it as an example or a base to edit from, but do NOT keep the blockkey.config, as that one is race specific. Instructions will follow when we get there.

Multiple races within a single mod DO work, as long as all the races are installed. My advice would be to do a seperate mod for each race.

• .metadata contents

Code:
    {
    "includes" : ["byos", "<modname>"],
    "author" : "Enter your own name",
    "description" : "A custom race extension for Amber Talamasca's BYOS, adding <racename> support",
    "friendlyName" : "B.Y.O.S. addon for race <racename>",
    "name" : "byos<racename>",
    version" : "1.0"
    }

• universe_server.config.patch contents
    Code:
    [
      {
        "op" : "add",
        "path" : "/speciesShips/<racename>/-",
        "value" : "/ships/byos/byos.structure"
      }
    ]

• /quests/story/bootship.questtemplate.patch
    Code:
    [
      {
        "op": "replace",
        "path": "/completionText",
        "value": "There's no repairing this old SAIL anymore. The shiplocker is gone too, you will need to replace them. Use these."
      },
      {
        "op": "add",
        "path": "/rewards/0/-",
        "value": [
          "<racename>techstation",
        ]
      },
      {
        "op": "add",
        "path": "/rewards/0/-",
        "value": [
          "<racename>shiplocker",
        ]
      }
    ]

• /ships/<racename>/blockkey.config
    This is the only file you will not write yourself, but take from the original mod and adjust. so find the blockkey.config in the original mod, and copy it to this mods ships/<racename> folder
    There are 2 steps to editing this file.
    1: Find any mention of residual, and change its value from true to false. So "objectResidual" : true becomes "objectResidual" : false and "foregroundResidual" : true becomes "foregroundResidual" : false
    2: Find the shiplocker entry. Not the shiplockerTier0 entry, but the one without Tier0 in its name. Now change the value of "object" : "<racename>shiplocker", to "object" : "",

save your files and start your game.
    Congratulations! You have just extended the BYOS mod with the custom race of your choosing. Feel free to share the made mod.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    Cryptoid likes this.

Recent Updates

1. SAIL fix
  2. splitting Felin and Avali

Recent Reviews

1. zappydoggo
    zappydoggo
    1/5,
    Version: 1.2
    Tutorial wasn't very helpful, I probably don't know what I'm doing though. I wanted to try making support for GalaxyFoxes, but all I'm getting is an annoying error. I probably shouldn't try with something that's a 3 races in 1.
  2. NightmareDL
    NightmareDL
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2
    The tutorial is really helpful