1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Kirhos [Discontinued] 0.5 FINAL (1.0 Compat)

Cyberpunk Space Rodents!

1. Yako
    [​IMG]

I'm a sci-fi nerd and I found a the lack of a fully Gibsonian cyberpunk-themed race in Starbound disappointing. So I filled the niche myself.

The Kirhos are an alien species dissimilar from any Earth fauna. I call them "goblins" or "rodents" for personal ease. Hundreds of years ago, they exhausted all resources on their home planet and fled to the stars. Nowadays, most kirhos live in privately-owned cities with synthesized environments referred to as arcologies-- or "arcs" among the hip. Kirhosi player characters are young, tech-savvy rebels without a cause who hijack a prototype spaceship so they can forge a new life among the stars.

As mentioned above, the race draws heavy inspiration from the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction, especially works such as Shadowrun, Akira, The Matrix, System Shock, and William Gibson's short stories. Have you ever thought Starbound would be better if everyone used arbitrary future slang and wore outrageous clothing that should have gone out of style years ago? You've come to the right place! Just want to play a colorful furry creature with adorably oversized ears? This mod hopefully covers that too.

Quick Links

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Current Features
    • Full character customization with 182,000+ total combinations and at least 19 options for each spinner!
    • Original starter outfits
    [​IMG]
    • Name generator
    • Starter codecies
    • Custom S.A.I.L.
    [​IMG]
    • Tiered Ship [WIP]
    • Racial pet
    [​IMG]
    • Armor for tiers 1-4
    Short-Term Features Planned
    • Finished ship hull for all tiers
    • Armor and weapons

If you're interested, you can read more about their development plans and statuses here!

Installation Instructions
    First, make sure you have a program that can unarchive .7z files. I recommend 7Zip, but WinRAR works as well.
    You'll also need a character creation extension mod. If you don't have one, I recommend the Simple Extended Character Creation Mod.

Beyond that, download the .7z file, unpack it, and place the .modpak folder in Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods.

In addition to here, I can also be reached on my tumblr. You can also find screenshots and development updates there.

Enjoy!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. Scrampunk
    Scrampunk
    4/5,
    Version: 0.5 FINAL (1.0 Compat)
    This looks EXCELLENT! Unfortunately, I receive an asset error message "Exception caught in client main-loop (AssetException) Error loading asset /cinematics/teleport/teleport_kirhos.cinematic" when I try to teleport down to the first planet. This is probably an error on my part as I see there's a "teleport animation fix" entry in the mod's recent updates. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong!
  2. Thymios
    Thymios
    5/5,
    Version: 0.5 FINAL (1.0 Compat)
    Beautiful race, one of the, if not, the best race in the game.
  3. bluestorm2112
    bluestorm2112
    5/5,
    Version: 0.5 FINAL
    Great work and great mod. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do next.
  4. varn1111
    varn1111
    5/5,
    Version: 0.5 FINAL
    i too miss many things that have been ripped out of the game...well GOOD BYE its been a great time and thank you for everything...
  5. varn1111
    varn1111
    5/5,
    Version: 0.38 Hotfix
    i really hope im gonna see your mod revived pretty soon...
  6. midii
    midii
    5/5,
    This is one of my favorite race mods, I really love the whole cyberpunk genre of sci-fi. Good Luck Out There!
  7. Shirabeera
    Shirabeera
    5/5,
    I love this race! My favorite atm. I do think there are ways to improve it. Maybe open a thread for suggestions? I'm sure many will be happy to help. The color of the ship looks off. Maybe go for something a little more realistic. I don't know how this works but I"ve seen other modded races that had npcs and walls and their own dialog when you speak with them or when you click on stuff. Also their own walls and fruniture. I really think you should open this for suggestions!
  8. loosegasket
    loosegasket
    5/5,
    I call it like I see it: Cyberpunk rat people. At least that's what my character kind of looks like. This is my second favorite race (after the Celestar) and I love the look. Could use more ship tiers, but I understand they're in the works; the existing ship already looks awesome so I'd love to see where the design goes at the higher tiers. I also like the look of the armor tiers available so far. So much so that I use them for costume appearance long after I hit higher tiers. I've found no bugs either. Great mod.
  9. Zardan
    Zardan
    5/5,
    It's realy cool!
  10. SiFiGeek36
    SiFiGeek36
    5/5,
    Version: 0.38
    Love the Mod! I did have a question about it and the species. For the race is what is their basic diet consisted of and to go along with that will this race get any racial crops
    1. Yako
      Author's Response
      The Kirhos are omnivores, but for the average person, the only thing they can afford is a hybrid crop called soygram. This splice of soybeans and chickpeas covers all their basic nutritional requirements and tastes almost like nothing, so it can be artificially flavored.
      I'd like to make this crop available at some point, but it'd be a long way down the road. Thank you for your interest!