1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Pandora's Box (Legacy) V4.0.2-Final

This aims to add variations to unique monsters, add uniques of it's own, and other little tweaks!

1. Pandora's Box V3.0

ManicRykker
    It is with great sadness, that I pronounce the Pandora's Box project discontinued.

As thanks for all of your support, I am releasing one last update bringing the mod up to where it truly needs to be.
    View the extensive changelog below for full details.

--Implemented the Bug Field Guide.

Finally, you all have a visual representation of Esther Bright's best work! This interactive documentation on the
    bugs of the universe provides detailed pictures on these fascinating insects you barely notice!

--Implemented a new armor set: The Mary Suit

It's perfect in every way, and provides the best protection you'll ever need from a set of gear.
    It has powerful attack, 100 defense, and an energy pool that could power a space ship!

--Implemented a new type of procedural weapon: Canes.

You can finally give those pesky whippersnappers a good thrashing! Every cane is unique, with different
    handle designs and adornments!

--Implemented a built-in race extender you'll all nag at me to remove for the next seven months!

--Esther Bright is now fully voice acted. Every last word.

--Tired of that nasty story? You now have an alternative way of finishing the game- A shortcut to uninstallation!

--The mod now provides a full conversion to Beta Starbound!

Once again, the codexes have a wide array of vague mentions of super special and important characters that you will never ever get to meet.
    Everything about the universe is terrible again, and you're powerless to even try doing anything about it, which is a perfect opportunity for those
    who sought an experience of the 'mature' kind.

The comedic potential of the game is also brought back, as each species you encounter once again consists of walking jokes with occasional deep
    thoughts that don't make any sense! As a bonus, your character's personality and background is once again fully pre-determined based on your race, to
    make sure you don't stray from the race's characterization.

--All mod sprites are now rips from the Spriter's Resource! (Those poor recolors are original, I swear!)

--All weapons now use ammo, which is found scattered throughout the universe. Weapons were pretty useful relying on
    regenerating energy, but who needs that right? You'd much rather pack your inventory with a dozen types of ammunition for
    each weapon type!

--You can now choose to side with Asra Nox, and aid the Ruin in it's awakening! This new way of playing will be so
    accurate, that your universe files will delete themselves when you finish! Huzzah!

--All ship pets have been removed. In fact, to make sure nothing gets under your feet period, I have taken the liberty of having all monsters
    and NPCs removed too! This may take away from the game, but hey: At least you can reach your captain's chair.

--The Matter Manipulator has been removed. You will now have to rely on crude, breakable pickaxes and axes to cut down trees, and mine ore!

You no longer have to worry about the convenience of easy mining! It now takes you twenty minutes just to reach the next cave (if you even reach one
    at all!)

All furniture will also have to be placed by hand. Since your Matter Manipulator is no longer there to do the heavy lifting for you, some objects
    will be unplaceable/movable.

--And last, but certainly not least, the final boss of Starbound has been replaced with the Chucklefish.

You won't be able to kill this boss, since they're capable of manipulating the game in ways you can't counter! Which is sad, since everyone wants
    to kill this evil fish. They only spent years developing a universe from scratch with custom assets, with their own blood, sweat, and tears.

But, they didn't shape their universe exactly the way you wanted them to shape it, so they're still evil.

--Removed Herobrine

--Deleted Monika

Before I continue, first: April Fools, if that wasn't already ridiculously obvious. Of course I am not discontinuing Pandora's Box, and I'm certainly
    not adding anything you see in the "changelog" featured above. (Some of which is actually impossible :D)

Second: Double April Fools. This actually *is* the 3.0 Update you've been waiting for, and in fact you'll find the changelog for it further below.
    First, I want to say a few things... I know some of you may not care about this (either wanting to get to the meat of this update, or simply not
    caring), but I would like to say this nevertheless.

It's been a wild ride for me since I jumped into the world of modding back at the end of 2016. I've gotten the pleasure of meeting and chatting
    with some great people, both modders and users alike. It's been a pleasure making content for you, and I hope to continue doing that for as long as
    I can. I have many ideas for Pandora's Box still to come!

Generally speaking, I don't mean any offense by some of the writing present in the pseudo-changelog above. (A friend actually helped write one of the
    pieces in that fake changelog, which helped strengthen it better than I could have.)... Though some aspects of it are fairly real, particularly my jab
    relating to Chucklefish...

As a modder, I have gotten the pleasure of seeing just what they have done to bring you this game. That changelog bit is based on drama I experienced
    for a brief time before 1.0. (I got into Starbound fairly late, near the end of beta.)

Looking back at that time, and thinking about the awful things some people had said about them (even though they were the ones making the game, creating assets from scratch, not to mention doing all of this with modding in mind, for US) makes me glad the days of beta are long behind us.

I am deeply appreciative of Chucklefish for making this wonderful game a reality. Though Starbound spent a few years in early access
    (which I am honestly not surprised by, considering that's actually kind of normal for a project of this scope.(Not to mention game development in general...)),
    I feel like it was worth the wait. It may have not met the exact standards of certain people, but they accomplished what they set out to do.

I am also very happy they have continued to deliver content beyond 1.0 (even though that was considered the full release.) I am looking forward to the new toys 1.4 will bring (regardless of the time it takes to get here. I'm patient.), and I am dieing to get my hands on some of the new projects I've been
    hearing about. (Like Witchbrook!)

All of this said, I guess that's the end of this little spiel. (If... you can call it little... ha.) Continue reading for 3.0's real changelog.

--Implemented the Monster Field Guide.

The Monster Field Guide is an item that provides documentation on monsters! It provides their name, their family,
    the biome they're found in, their variation amount, and a description of the monster.

The Field Guide will be a part of future PB grab bags, but can also be purchased from Shoptop.
    (You can also purchase an object version of it from Shoptop)

--Implemented new armor set: Capturenaut

The capturenaut set is a end-game tier armor set with a generous energy pool, at the cost of lower attack
    and health. Wearing the pieces also increases the amount of pets you can have out at once!

The set can be crafted at the Capture Station

--How we handle the pet limit has been adjusted. Rather than a static adjustment to it, there are a few things that
    can increase it. (Some augments you can purchase from Shoptop, and the new armor set mentioned above.) I feel that this is more organic, and makes
    it a bit more progression-based.

--Implemented a new type of procedural weapon: Maces.

Maces are kind of like wielding a one-handed hammer. Though they utilize the axecleave ability
    as a base, there are differences that set them apart from axes, as well as hammers.

-Maces, being a thick blunt object, are strong. They deal more damage than an axe, but not as much as a hammer.
    They're roughly a bit underneath the hammer damage-wise.

-Being such a heavy, strong weapon, they deal more knockback than an axe. (But not as much as a hammer.)

-All of PB's procedural maces (Save for common tier ones) inflict stun on their target, slowing their movement.

-Maces, unlike other weapons, are also capable of inflicting stun on their target. (Common maces don't possess
    this ability though.)

-If there is one drawback to using a mace, it's the fact they are heavy. Since you wield it with one
    hand, it takes you a bit longer to ready it for an attack than an axe or hammer.

To sum it up, maces are strong one-handed weapons with nice knockback. If you don't mind sacrificing
    access to a secondary ability, they can make a nice alternative to a hammer!

Maces can be obtained like any other procedural weapon. You'll find them in future chests on ungenerated
    worlds. (and should also be able to get them from reward bags.)

You can also receive them from Shoptop's weapon crates.

--Don't think you're the only one that can use maces. Various NPCs can use them now too.

(Glitch guards, and glitch of castles and fortresses will be able to have them.)

You can also get outlaws and soldiers with them too.

(It's also worth noting these npc maces can still apply the stuff effect. Be cautious when fighting
    an npc that's using a mace!)

--All vanilla races now have access to the craftable guns normally only available to Novakids.
    (I've decided to do this as a QoL measure. It gives players a ranged option early game if
    they are having rotten luck with the RNG for procedural ranged weapons. It would make sense if all
    races had race specific weaponry, but that isn't the case.)

Likewise, Novakids will have access to the early game craftable melee weapons the other vanilla races normally
    have access to.

--You can now potentially get soldier crewmembers that use hammers.

--Adjusted the spawnrates of erchits and erchlings. Erchlings are now much less common, but to compensate,
    they can now spawn more erchlings when struck than they did previously. Be careful!

--Erchling spawns are now catchable. They are immortal, but deal much less damage compared to other monsters.
    In a swarm, they may be able to distract some foes for you.

--Certain legendary monsters now require more health to be depleted before they become catchable.

--Weapon crates are now split into three tiered crates: Copper, Silver, and Gold. Copper has the same yield as
    the weapon crate you've used up to this point.

Silver weapon crates don't have common/tier 1 procedural weapons in their pool. Gold weapon crates don't have
    common OR uncommon/tier 1 and 2 procedural weapons in their pool.

Copper weapon crates are available for purchase from Shoptop from the start, and still cost 1k pixels.
    Silver weapon crates become available after the Floran mission, and cost 5k pixels.
    And Gold weapon crates become available after the Avian mission, and cost 10k pixels!

--Lumoths now have a new rare drop.

BUGFIXES

--Fixed an issue causing capture of a diamond orelit to crash the player.
    --Fixed an issue causing ocueye and octotop to not be registered in the collections on capture.
    --Fixed a typo causing the mysterix figure to now display when placed.
Return to update list...