1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. ManicRykker
    [​IMG]
    ---[PENGUIN PIRACY]---

A MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR:

DEVELOPMENT STATUS: SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT. SEE MESSAGE BELOW

Ok.. So I feel like it's time I say something over here, since I don't really talk about Penguin Piracy much these days...

"What ever happened to Penguin Piracy?"

So it's no secret that I have generally ceased communication regarding Penguin Piracy. This project has been in a state of suspended development. I have done no work on it...

This happened partly due to burnout, putting more resources and focus into Pandora's Box, and some other factors.

I look back at Penguin Piracy, and wish there were some things I had done differently... Initially, I developed Penguin Piracy as my go-to mod, and thus it's development was broad..

There are things I practice now, that I didn't do back then... And I feel like it affected the final product.

I wish I had kept some things simple. I wish I had kept the amount of penguin races to a minimum. I wish the penguin attributes were either more subdued, or somewhat optional, to keep in line with vanilla...

That said, I don't really know what to do with the project. I don't see myself returning to it anytime soon, and some of the fairly unavoidable bugs surrounding the non-uniform race can be discouraging. (I would be perfectly fine with another modder taking the Avali Triage route, and picking up their torch though.)

All this said, I would like to apologize to any users that still use Penguin Piracy... I wish I could have provided more... But I guess I just bit off more than I can chew.

----------------------------------------------

Quick note: Please view this spoiler for a Q/A, Bug list, a note on compatibility, and a brief installation guide!

As of the 1.3 update, some information may be outdated. I will be updating information at a later date.

Q/A

"Does this work with multiplayer?"

Answer: Not without all users having the mod installed. It introduces unique content that present in the vanilla games, and tweaks the penguins in general considerably.

"Help! I've run into a bug/something in the mod is crashing my game!"

Answer: Do not be shy when it comes to telling me of a bug. I do not like seeing users unable to enjoy the mod, so I'm always willing to lend a hand.

If you ever run into a bug, either throw it down in the discussion thread, or just start a conversation with me.
    For optimal performance, you can really help me find what's going on by describing what the bug is, when it happens, etc.. And more importantly, you can send me your Starbound.log file!

Even if it's something only occuring on your end, I will at least try to provide some assistance when I am available.

INSTALLATION

0a. If you do not plan on using a different race extender, place the PP-RaceExtender mod into the mods folder.
    0b. If you do not wish to use the extender that comes with the mod, download the Character Extender you like, if you don't already have one!
    1. Download the mod!
    2. Extract the .zip file.
    3. Place the mod in your mods folder
    4. You're ready to play! (You can find more instructions in the zip if necessary!)

BUG LIST

-Some races may look interesting when sleeping or sitting in penguin specific objects, such as the UFO Chair

-Some emotes/dances that Penguin NPCs do may look odd. (There isn't much I can do about this, as I am currently aware.)

-Some race descriptions do not show up for some reason on the creation menu. (Particularly for the slots in the top right) I have no clue what's causing this issue, so I can't do much about it... they are selectable though!

COMPATIBILITY

While this mod should play nice with other mods, there may be some instances where it may not behave properly. Particularly with:

-Mods that change the beam up and down animations (due to a mini-mod I created built into the mod, which replaces the vanilla animations with more generic ones, 'cause penguins. (It's called Generic Teleport))
    -Anything that modifies vanilla penguin files.
    -Any mods that introduce tiles that use materialIDs 46000-46100. These are ids I have reserved for the mod, for any future penguin blocks I add.
    -The mod is currently incompatible with the Mad Tulius Spaceship Mod.

[​IMG]

INTRODUCTION

Of the races in the Starbound universe, none are as adorable and mischievous as the little penguin.. and, while it's great that there are two bosses featuring them, and penguin mercenaries we can hire on as crew members.. haven't you ever wished there was more to these flightless birds?.. Perhaps, maybe you have wished you could "play" as a penguin?... Maybe you wish there was more content affiliated with the race?

Well look no further!

Penguin Piracy does just that: It makes the penguin race playable, and aims to add a ton of penguin affiliated content!

THE PENGUIN CHARACTER'S STORY

You are a lone penguin agent. Your mission: To get your little flippers on the legendary matter manipulator, so your race can reverse engineer it for the benefit of penguin kind!

Your mission goes smoothly at first: You knock out a protectorate graduate (sending them flying out into space in an escape pod), and "fill in for them" for the graduation ceremony.

After taking a quick nap, you nearly miss the ceremony, and then...

After a tragic chain of events, you are forced to flee planet Earth. Your ship is damaged. You're stranded in the middle of no where. For now, your mission is going to have to wait... for not only will you have to survive, but you are about to get swept up into an even bigger mess...

[​IMG]

FEATURES

This mod offers a ton of neat features:

-Greatly expands upon the penguin race, allowing them to be playable (To play as a penguin, you must use one of the addons included with the mod, and a race extender.. (A race extender known as PP-RaceExtender is packed with the mod in this archive. It offers 72 slots for modded races. If you wish to use a different extender, one with enough slots for the addons will be needed. (AT LEAST four additional slots is needed if you use all addons.)), it changes them in the following ways:

the mod changes penguins in the following ways:

1. gives them a wide range of color options
    2. gives them personality poses
    3. offers a handful of cosmetic accessories for the penguins
    4. makes them glass cannons: They have nerfed health. They are extremely fragile unarmed, and rely on their tactical penguin armor (Which provides heftier buffs to their energy and attack damage!). They perform best by fighting from afar with ranged weapons, or in the safe confines of tunnels.

they also have bounce physics (a shock induced bounce when they hit the ground at the end of a jump), and slide slightly when standing on uneven surfaces.

-In terms of content as a playable race, they have:

1. A recolored Old floran ship AI as the SAIL
    2. A revitalized orbis ship pet, which comes in a vivid range of colors
    3. A custom ship, inspired by Dreadwing's UFO
    4. Their own race specific flag
    5. A set of clothing that hides wearables
    6. Custom hurtsounds and chattersounds. (penguinoid players also make a cute sound when they jump!)

-The mod expands penguin npcs. They have access to the expanded namegen, color options, and (in some circumstances) the penguin accessories. The Penguin Piracy mod adds penguin tenants and crewmembers!

Penguin mercenaries are improved, offering their services for five dubloons, in exchange for packing a larger array of potential weapons (From randomized guns, to flamethrower-like weapons!)

-Offers tons of penguin affiliated content:

1. Several crafting stations
    2. A nice handful of decorative objects
    3. Completely legal services that improve your penguin affiliated experience!
    4. Juicy penguin lore and codexes (features malleable lore: It will be tweaked and improved in the event new information is revealed in the vanilla game about the penguins)

-And much MUCH more! If you want to know more, you'll have to experience it yourself! (If I revealed EVERYTHING in here, it would ruin the surprise wouldn't it?)

PENGUIN PHYSICS & CHARACTERISTICS

Ok, so the features are all well and good.. But as I mentioned, penguins play quite differently from your average race.

First, before I go into too much detail on this, let me list the pros and cons of the penguin..:

PROS
    -Shorter than other races. Can fit through smaller tunnels. Your hitbox is also smaller, and enemies don't spot you as easily because of this.
    -Penguins are immune to debuffs inflicted from the cold (Be it from enemies, or the freezing temperatures of planets in frozen star systems, they don't mind the cold one bit.)
    -Penguins have 10% higher base attack
    -Penguins have 50 more points of energy
    -Run a little faster than other races, and are excellent swimmers!

That said, not all is perfect for the little birds...

CONS
    -Penguins have 50 less points of base health
    -Penguins slide a bit when standing on uneven surfaces
    -Penguins have a some bounce physics (They have some shock-induced bounce when they hit the ground after a jump, and they are knocked back a bit if they jump into a wall.)

Chances are, when you first start playing as a penguin, you may find the different physics jarring at first. Don't worry, that is perfectly normal! I felt the same way when I was getting used to them, and it's MY mod. :rofl:

The secret to success as a penguin, is pretty simple. You just have to follow a few rules:

1. Be careful and cautious. Don't be reckless with your jumps.
    2. You have the extra energy. USE IT! Don't be afraid to use your special if you are in a dangerous situation.
    3. Get to know your physics: You won't bounce back if you hug a wall before you attempt to jump over it, and you won't slide completely off a surface if you don't panic.

Once you get past the initial shock, your physics can be pretty predictable, and managable. (And hey. You have to admit it's at least fun bouncing around. :rofl:)

TO-DO

-Expand the dialog for penguin tenants
    -Finish adding jukeboxes for the remaining starbound tracks

-Thoughtful additions to improve the player's experience (Not necessarily penguin specific)

WISHLIST (Items and features I would like to add, but don't really have any idea on when they would make their way into the mod)

-More penguin exclusive vehicles
    -more penguin exclusive legendary weapons

This mod has come a long way since it's previous incarnation I introduced a couple weeks back. I am happy to be a part of this community, and very happy with where my first mod has ended up! I am looking forward to introducing much more content and features in the future!

If you have any questions or feedback, please drop it in the mod's discussion thread! I want to get this mod as stable and fun as I can, so please don't hold back when it comes to suggestions!

Have fun!

A NOTE REGARDING THE MOD'S FUTURE
    I would just like to mention, I "hope" to be able to perform updates and upkeep for this mod as long as possible.. But naturally, due to various things that can happen (Life decides to kick you in the rear, other stuff occupies your time, etc), I may not always be available to keep this alive.

Therefore, I feel it's important that I give this little message:

If, at any point in the future, I become unable to update the mod, or I drop off the face of the planet entirely (Respond to NO replies from users, either in the discussion or pm)... And it has been months since the mod has had an update, or is no longer compatible with the latest version of Starbound..

Any modder can pick up where I left off, with the files supplied from my mediafire, and continue the mod/make it compatible with the latest Starbound in my absence.

Let the above message be proof of my consent if those circumstances do arise.

Credits

- Cobra5 (Chucklefish Forums)'s Racebase (While many of my mod's files have since been cleaned up, this mod would have never gotten off the ground without the Rasebase mod.)
    - Chucklefish, for any vanilla game assets used in this mod.
    (Whether as placeholder, modified, or semi-custom)
    -The user Lefl (Chucklefish Forums) - The Etherbeak vehicle uses a slightly modified version of his shuttle script resource. (Lefl, if you see this: Your script made implementing this extra vehicle much less painful :rofl:.. Thank you!)
    -This mod uses some color options from Seraphi's Colorbound Mod. (Particularly the ones for the Avians)
    -The user Cyel (Chucklefish Forums) - They provided the script used for the penguin player's jumpsound.
    -The user Dekadrachm (Chucklefish Forums) - Some items from the assets released version of their Black Market Mod are available in PenguinPiracy.
    - The user Alceris (Chucklefish Forums) - Provided assistance/a fix for the penguin's mouth position/suffocating in tunnels. The script (penguin_primary, and any duplicate names of it for the other penguinoid races) the mod uses to handle non-humanoid.config attributes uses a slightly tweaked version I made of the script they provided for the mouth position fix.
    - The Penguin Beakbox uses a script created by the user Storm_UK. (You can find the original mod, "Multi-Track Jukebox", on the Chucklefish Forums.) Though I changed the jukebox sprites a bit, and put in most of the Starbound tracks myself, they created the original object/script, so it wouldn't feel right otherwise.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. Eliyah
    Eliyah
    4/5,
    Version: V11.2.1
    Can someone or you make only playable UFO? Ship is amazing but not this birds and quests...
  2. TheSurvivor64
    TheSurvivor64
    5/5,
    Version: V11.2.1
    A great mod that adds a lot of good content to the game.
    It's fine if you suspend development, burning out of a certain project really makes you hate working on it, a lot of people still like the mod, it doesn't need to be updated very often to be good. I still enjoy this mod and i'm perfectly fine with you stepping away from it for a while (or forever, who knows), don't feel bad for not doing stuff you don't like doing anymore.
    1. ManicRykker
      Author's Response
      Yep. I'm happy you're having fun with such an old project tbh. I'm on big mod project number 3 at this point. Hopefully the third time will be the charm!

I love modding, and I hope eventually I'll be able to use what I've learned over the past couple years to really hit the sweet spot... And make something users will love.
  3. N.SYU
    N.SYU
    5/5,
    Version: V11.1.2
    LONG LIVE DA PEGGYS!!!
  4. White Tortoise
    White Tortoise
    5/5,
    Great mod, it's fun to play as these flightless birds. Though, how do you get penguin tenants?
    Also, vanilla race tenants are asking for engu and peng just to make chocolate, is this normal?
    1. ManicRykker
      Author's Response
      Thx!

You can coax penguin tenants to move it like normal tenants! You just use various penguin objects when setting up a room.

As for the other thing, that's something related to a quirk with how npcs pull for their fetch quests (it's something weird related to recipes), and it's unfortunately widely out of my control.
  5. Kristof_Playz
    Kristof_Playz
    5/5,
    Love this mod. Was looking for a mod that adds penguin stuff
  6. notdumm32
    notdumm32
    5/5,
    Version: V11.1
    Thanks!
  7. penguinsss
    penguinsss
    5/5,
    Version: V11.0.4a
    ЛУЧШИЙ МОД 10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. JoshBaz
    JoshBaz
    5/5,
    Version: V11.0.4a
    I really love this mod. It really adds a lot to the game and gives me a lot to do besides the main quest.
  9. hellenicshaco
    hellenicshaco
    5/5,
    Version: V11
    Nice and funny mod!!!
  10. Dannir
    Dannir
    3/5,
    Version: V8.0.1
    The shared content is pretty decent. That much, I will admit. And yet, I can't give this mod a good review. Why is that?

Well... It's because of the way penguin armor ends up working out in multiplayer, and how it encourages buying the chest and head armor of other races to get somewhat overpowered as a Penguin.

You should really consider splitting penguin armor into three pieces, at the very least. Even if some end up invisible. It wouldn't be the first race to do that. As it stands, there is the potential for some serious game-breaking if you ever happen to pick up penguin armor as a non-penguin, and some more minor balance wonkiness if you pick up merchant/perfect armor as a penguin.
    1. ManicRykker
      Author's Response
      The way penguin armor is currently set up, is due to a technical issue involving how they render on penguins.

If I do change how penguin armor works, the graphics are definitely all staying in the legslot. They refuse to work right AT ALL in the head or chest slots. So, the head and chest slots for "penguin armor" would definitely have to be blank.

As for the issue with humanoid armor? That's on the player. I don't condone cheating, but I can't stop it. To me, it's no different than just spawning in perfect armor. I can not control the player's decisions on that front.

Penguin armor is also only craftable by penguins, so the only way non penguins would be able to get the armor, is either by getting it from a penguin player, or cheating it in.

All that said, I'll think about it.