What Does It Do?
What it says on the title.
More features might be added in the future as this mod grows.
- Contact damage (CD) is turned off for most monsters.
- Monsters now have new attacks, and some of the vanilla ones have been tweaked slightly to adapt to the lack of CD.
- Some monsters have more health.
- Stops the constant "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" that happens every single time a monster looks at your vehicle funny. I can't stop your favorite hoverbike from crashing though, that's on you. Drink and drive responsibly.
The current changes are minimal, so don't come to me complaining that my mod didn't turn your game into SPACE DARK SOULS 2D. It's not supposed to do that (or at least, maybe not yet).
I might eventually write down a list of changes. Maybe in a changelog or some kind of short manual.
Compatibility and Technical Stuff
This mod modifies some .behavior files, and also overwrites some .monstertype files too. This is also why I lowered my mod's priority to -1. If you have any mod that patches monster files, it should still work.
It should be (mostly?) compatible with Frackin' Universe, since a lot (all?) of the monsters from that mod already have attack animations.
This mod might be incompatible with other mods that overwrite .behavior or .monstertype files.
If you are wondering why I overwritten those files instead of patching them, it's because I already tried a few times, and they kept not working. Depending on how I did it, the monsters would either not touch me, or not attack at all.
- Apparently, randomly generated monsters have been modified since Cheerful Giraffe, and, unless they have special attacks, now they just kinda run around you because they can't do any damage. I haven't played my mod enough, so I can't tell you if this is a consistent problem all across the game's universe. I noticed it. Will try to fix it asap.
A Little Backstory
I've never been too fond of damage on contact in Starbound, and as you can probably guess, I wasn't too happy when it was brought back with the Glad Giraffe update. While I was definitely glad that someone (Wellbott) made a mod to "fix" this little problem, some of the unique enemies in the game needed to be tweaked to function properly.
So, back when CG was a thing, I made my own "No Contact Damage" mod to deal with the issue (also, Wellbott's mod became incompatible with the Nightly updates, so... yeah). I actually went through some of the game's files to properly tweak the monsters and gave them the attacks they needed. Problem is, my lack of foresight screwed me over, so when 1.0 and its various updates rolled around, my mod basically stopped working.
Today, I decided to give this another shot. I put this little mod together in about a hour, using my older mod as a reference, and then decided share it on this website.
In other words - this mod was hastily put together. Expect some issues. Feel free to throw some feedback at me.
On the bright side, you should be able to uninstall it without causing any damage to your character or universe (but still make backups if you can, just to be safe).
Expect this mod to not work when the next update rolls around.
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
SRG Monsters Overhaul 0.1
No damage on contact, plus other things...