WIP [0.1.0] 27x27 Greenhouse - Correct Entrance/Exit - [XNB edit]

Discussion in 'Mods' started by vhdblood, Mar 28, 2016.

1. vhdblood

vhdblood Lucky Number 13

(Not sure if this is the correct place to post this)
    (Thanks to BoffoBoy and dk2020 for discussing the finer points of editing xnb files and for wards_krypton for making the 15x15 greenhouse.)

After looking through the 15x15 greenhouse mod page and learning some things, I quickly threw together a bigger greenhouse that spawns you in at the correct spot. This one is 27x27 which covers my current needs. I randomly picked that number but I'm keeping that for now.

[​IMG]

Instructions:
    Drop the Greenhouse.xnb and Farm.xnb into your /content/maps folder. Overwrite the old ones and that's it. Make backups of your old files just in case something goes wrong.

Note: This will not work with any other mod that uses the greenhouse.xnb or farm.xnb files, as this will overwrite those changes.

Download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/50p5ic9ipzj0b3m/27x27GreenHouseMod.zip?dl=0

A couple things about this and why it's a WIP:

1. Instead of clicking the door, you just walk into the greenhouse door and it teleports you to your greenhouse. If you click the door, it'll teleport you in the middle of your greenhouse instead of at the entrance.

2. This mod allows access to the greenhouse without purchasing the upgrade/completing the bundle. There's currently no way without using something like SMAPI to have the correct teleport location when you come into the greenhouse, so this is unavoidable right now. If someone could help with that part, we could limit access correctly.

3. I made sure to build the greenhouse so that you can use it without having to dig up your crops. You should get rid of any barrels or other things on the edges, but crops should be fine where they are. This pic shows what happened when I changed my greenhouse file without getting rid of my crops. Be careful and make backups just in case!

[​IMG]

Eventually I plan to add other rooms to the greenhouse, possibly specialized rooms for different crops/items.

Also, I plan to make a nicer entrance then just walking into the door. Maybe a cave entrance to make it look more natural?

All feedback is appreciated! Please let me know what you think and if you'd like anything in particular.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    • QuantumConcious

QuantumConcious Phantasmal Quasar

Good job well done. Nice workaround. I was thinking of adding the greenhouse to my ExtendedFarmHouse mod Instead of the actual cave farm i have now. But i don't want the same issue with it being available when you do not have the actuall greenhouse legitimately. So for know if people want greenhouse they can get your mod or even get wards_kryptons 15x15 greenhouse. Nice job keep it up man

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Cool, this means I do not need to do my own version of this but meh no outlying tiles mate?

I really wish there was a way to add warp on click as a property to tiles... but obviously if Ape had to do just that in his exe I would assume it's a lost cause.

I would advise against anything cave like unless you plan to offer shroom growing or something as there are no hydroponics in this game and no light is a deal killer for above ground crops (just play dwarf fortress a bit). I mean it's a giant glass greenhouse for a reason.

Speaking of DF, maybe someone adds Cave wheat and Plump Helmets with the requisite booze variety; there's already a dwarf in the game.

But definitely by adding new rooms you can do away with your genius farm warp workaround.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
        • vhdblood

vhdblood Lucky Number 13

I decided against any outlying tiles in the main greenhouse because I plan to make separate rooms/areas for things you would normally put there.

I think I'll end up having the entrance come into a main lobby area where you can pick the greenhouse/area you want to go to. I'm actually working on that now because I dislike the game-breaking factor it currently has. Not sure if I'll push an update tonight or if it'll be later. Actually editing stuff in tIDE is really a hassle. Am I missing something or is there no way to select and cut across all layers? I can only get it to affect the active layer. So I have to cut all 4 layers separately and paste them in the right place.

• BoffoBoy

I feel your pain mate about the inflexibility of tIDE. The issue with a lobby in my case is that there is no real way to label stuff so people can see it in game so meh?

In my case (uploading the stuff to it's own thread now that Easter festivities are over) the walk from the trellis to the 20x20 proper is trivial so meh again hehe. It's a giant series of compromises limited almost exclusively by tIDE since that is what I assume ape went with (can only imagine the pain that poor guy went though all those years). Remember by the way, when resizing layers one at a time , you can push the existing stuff in the 8 semi cardinal directions IIRC while you do it.

You've seen the pains I've been going though learning this garbage but well, I would hope the worst of it is over.

in other news, I went back to the original 20x20 and added a nonsensical corridor leading to blackness so it's not just all darkness lol.

Oh and nice wool.

• QuantumConcious

QuantumConcious Phantasmal Quasar

Actually you can label stuff but not in the true sense as in you see the words without interaction. For example you can place the sign tiles like the street signs and select the top or bottom when on the build layer and goto Tile Properties and add the Custom Properties Name= Action Value=Message This way to the Greenhouse Expansion. Where Action is the tag for Perform action when interacted with and Mesaage is the tag to say display as a text popup with the words, This way to the Greenhouse Expansion. You could do this to any item you want to display a message as long as it is in the build layer.

vhdblood and BoffoBoy like this.
              • BoffoBoy

Interesting, thanks!

• BoffoBoy

Oh man vhdblood, try removing that warp property you have and replace the door of the green house's action to Action | Warp X Y Greenhouse where X and Y are your intended warp location.

Man ignorance is painful. (on my part)

• Umeneko

Umeneko Void-Bound Voyager

Can we expect to see a no clutter on this one?

wafflerie likes this.
                    • tonyyoung

tonyyoung Void-Bound Voyager

27x27 is huge but not a good number for Iridium Sprickler's 5x5 watering radius though:p

• SKKN

SKKN Big Damn Hero

Hi OP. Or BoffoBoy, can you guys make a bigger slime hatch? The size is currently too small. Barn is Coop is bearable but the slime place, man there is literally no space to work there.

• Yoru Hana

Yoru Hana Poptop Tamer