1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue 1.0.5 Bug Unable to access Final Boss

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Buckeria, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Buckeria

Buckeria Void-Bound Voyager

In the most recent update (1.0.5) it appears that when trying to use the teleporter to go to the final mission (The Ruin) my character is just put back in front of the monolith. This includes characters where I have already finished all the story missions including The Ruin. This only happened after the 1.0.5 update, so I can tell that this is not because of mods. Please fix this Chucklefish and clarify what is going on.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide a full copy of your starbound.log located in your storage folder of your starbound installation. Otherwise it can be hard to track down.

~ Iris ~

3. Iris Blanche

I just made a fresh character and used commands to get the character to this state. As for me i cannot confirm this issue (see file attached)

~ Iris ~

Edit: is this "post-updated" function broken? o_O

Attached Files:

4. IchBinSneaky

IchBinSneaky Poptop Tamer

This isn't limited to 1.0.5.
    I had this problem yesterday with 1.0.4
    I just opened the gateway to The Ruin with my first character to do so. I attempt to teleport to it but end up right where I started; in front of the large swirling portal.

Edited:
    Checked (and attached) the logfile.
    Found this:
    [04:22:09.896] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /objects/biome/tentacle/spawner/bossrightspawner.object, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /objects/biome/tentacle/spawner/bossrightspawner.object

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. Iris Blanche

Attach a the logfile then. Otherwise it's hard to track down since not everyone is suffering from this problem.

~ Iris ~

6. Iris Blanche

Try deleting the assets.pak and verify your game integrity through steam.

~ Iris ~

7. IchBinSneaky

Hmm, there is no 'assets.pak'. I found a 'packed.pak' though. Is that the one you mean?

Edit:
    Just tried renaming and re-download the packed.pak. The bug remains.

8. Iris Blanche

I always mistake those files...sorry for that. have you added an _ before the file? otherwise it is possible that it's getting loaded anyways.

~ Iris ~

9. IchBinSneaky

Yes, adding a '_' before the filename was exactly what I did.

In addition, I looked in the log file for more detailed information and unpacked the package.pak to track down where the log claimed the error was.

[23:12:44.449] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /objects/biome/tentacle/spawner/bossrightspawner.object, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /objects/biome/tentacle/spawner/bossrightspawner.object
    Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Cannot parse json file: /objects/biome/tentacle/spawner/bossrightspawner.object
    Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 4:45

This is confusing however: line 4 in the indicated file only have 26 characters and on top of it I can't spot any missing '}' or ','.
    I'll include the unpacked file in question here, maybe you can see something I can't (I'm mostly a c++/c# guy)

I had to rename the file-extension for the upload to be allowed; it should be '.object'

Edit:
    Gets weirder; I used the json validator at http://jsonlint.com/. It reported no errors in a direct copy-paste of the full contents of bossrightspawner.object

Attached Files:

10. Iris Blanche

json is easy to understand when you know c++/c# ^-^ But this error is reaaaally odd..i compared with my file and they match.
    Have you tried loading with unpacked assets?

~ Iris ~

11. IchBinSneaky

no, how do I get Starbound to use the unpacked ones?

12. Iris Blanche

Unpack the assets and put them in the assets folder (like an unpacked mod e.g. assets/unpacked/[your assets here]) and rename the packed.pak (this time i didn't name it assets pack >v< ).

~ Iris ~

13. IchBinSneaky

Ok, I tried that, the bug remained.
    I also tried the nuclear option and manually deleted everything but my save files in the 'storage' folder. Had steam verify and re-download the game. The bug remains.

Short of having access to the source-code, I don't know what else I can try :(

14. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have you tried new char? Maybe Iris can provide her char sitting in Ruin?
    You know, just stupid idea people get when they sit outside, smoking, drinking energy drink and in general avoiding work :D

15. Iris Blanche

The problem is that the files for the ruin doesn't get loaded because of a syntax error (which is not existent at all). Unfortunately i have absolutly no idea how to solve this... >.<

~ Iris ~

16. Kulsius

Well, that's unusual. Only dev can solve this, i bet.
    Still, There are some mods going on that [I think] can by some extent make game fail.
    My picks:
    unnamed asset source at 'D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\211820\731592371\contents.pak'
    'Tanz Tweaks - Textures'
    'fommodnodistortionsphere'
    Also, some mods that can interfere with each other, like StorageUI and expanded ship locker (just wild guess).

17. Iris Blanche

Yes there are some mods but the error is thrown before the mods are even touched in loading. A modding issue can definitly be excluded in this case.

Edit: nvm had mistaken it with another log... ._.

~ Iris ~

18. Kulsius

Just proves that mods CAN be cause... right? riiiight?

Iris Blanche likes this.
  19. IchBinSneaky

I thought about mods interfering as well. I removed a number of them, including both 'Tanz Tweaks - Textures' and 'fommodnodistortionsphere'.
    The one with the 'unnamed asset' warning is the Ceiling Mounted Sprinkler mod. It adds an item and a recipe. It shouldn't be a problem.
    The 'Container UI Tweak' doesn't actually do anything to any containers; it moves the inventory window and any container windows to the sides so you can see your character and what you are interacting with. The number one QoL mod out there, I shit you not.
    I don't see how it can be the cause of this bug though.

I have been thinking about another angle though. Given that the syntax error isn't present where indicated AND the log claims that there are more characters on that line than there actually are, I think that maybe the problem isn't with 'bossrightspawner.object' but rather with either the asset that where loaded before or right after that one. That the exception happens before the logging functions have updated it's local variable that keeps tabs on what asset is being loaded right now, or after the function have moved on to the next one, but before it's finished processing that former asset.

Could that the case? And if so, is there some way for me to find out the order assets are loaded in?

20. Kulsius

Maybe one of poorly made mods actually change or alter bossrightspawner.object?
    Well, it CAN be that Exception is floating in wrong spot, and it can be that actually it's even caused not by bossrightspawner.object, but instead by faulty call to said object.
    I think best would be (as we have whole list of active mods) to remove all mods, launch game, see if it works and (if it works fine) then proceed adding 3-5 at a time, trying to point out which one is causing unintended behavior.
    I've seen mod that made controls not as floaty as in vanilla (by adding more friction) break Avian temple by making that guide repeat his dialogue and continue walking into door over and over again. Sometimes it might look completely unrelated at all in some cases (or very remotely related).