3d version of starbound?!

Discussion in 'Games' started by GeekyRaptor, Jul 28, 2021.

1. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi all, it's been a while, I was thinking of creating a spoof or remake of starbound. The twist? The entire game would be made in 3d. This would include planets, alien species, props and weapons and much much more.
    Is there any way to go about getting permission from chucklefish to pursue this grand endeavor?

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

My opinion, please no. There is a reason why Minecraft stays blocky, and it also applies to why Starbound and other games like it stays with pixel graphic. Because it's what makes them "them."

So, I don't think the idea above is the best idea. Also, I fully doubt that they will give such permission, I mean not just CF, but other game company as well.

Anyway, why not just make a whole different thing? A new game? I believe that's a better choice if you would like to try game development. You will have more freedom.

3. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor Subatomic Cosmonaut

True. I would like more freedom, but then I couldn't use the names of starbounds races, such as novakid, Avali, Draconis etc. In my game, I also wanted the game I'm making to be from a side scroller perspective like starbound has, but with 3d models with more dynamic movement. Anyway I wanted to add races to my game but I don't know how to come up with original names for them that don't sound a lot like a cheap ripoff.
    Anyway thank you for your input.
    I think my biggest issue is starbound beat me to the punch on the space exploration sandbox builder concept.

4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I have ever felt something like that too, similar but not the same. I was making my own fiction with other existing fiction as its base (so, it's a fan fiction then, technically). I was very excited about it. But sadly, it doesn't live long. I couldn't make it freely. I couldn't consider it as my "original work," or even my "work" that I can fully consider as mine, since it's base on someone else's work, not mine. I realize it will be hard for its future (you know, copyright and yadayada). So I decide to make my own fiction, not base on other's fiction but myself. It turns out, it's not bad. It's even better. I know it requires more work, but hey, it's mine, I am the creator, I am the owner, I am the boss, I can safely make whatever I want in it. Then if I want something from other fiction to be there, I can make it as an easter egg or a crossover. I think it will be more fun that way.

And yes, that "other" fiction I talked about is Starbound.