A few new Logics + Slight modification to existing triggers

Discussion in 'Other' started by Monario, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm a big fan of a Playstation game called Little Big Planet, not so much a fan of its gameplay but a fan of the logic behind it, it uses logic much like Starbound but the whole system is much more robust, and the reason for this is in big part thanks to these 3 things:

·Microchip
    : A logic gate that when interacted with, opens an "inventory" looking window where you can place and wire other logic gates (even other microchips). The chip itself has 1 input and 1 output, allowing the microchip to be toggled ON and OFF. If the Microchip is ON, the output signal will feed the logic within it.
    This is not only great for saving space when making really complex contraptions, but also being able to toggle all logics and switches ON or OFF.
    ··If you really want to make the Microchip great, give it a second (bottom) input that turns the chip OFF. This allows things to send signals to the chip to make it work, while at the same time having something separate be able to say if the chip will work or not. I know this can be done with more gate and more logics, as with everything, but this chip is all about saving room and making simple things simple.

···Edit: Forgot to mention. One of the main features of the microchip is of course the ability to move the microchip around like you'd pick up any container, and it will actually hold the logic within it. So if anything, even if you don't see any major upsides to using a microchip, you can simply use it to build your complicated logic somewhere, the first place you landed on, and then once the proof of concept is done or the first prototype, you can simply move that either to your base, or conceal the chip somewhere out of view or what have you.

·Sequencer: A logic gate that's basically like wiring something to a big chain of countdown timers or delays, without the need for the extremely long chain of gates; If the sequencer receives a signal, its first output is toggled ON. A second later, its second output goes ON, and so on and so forth. Perhaps the ability to interact with it as with countdown timers, allowing you to change the delay between output toggles and/or the number of outputs.

·An input for switches/triggers: What I mean by this is for things like scanners (sensors), buttons, levers, etc, to be able to be toggled ON/OFF. Perhaps this doesn't make much sense for something like a lever where the output signal is sent via a mechanical, physical action. But something like a button or a sensor (or other triggers I can't think of right now) that are electrical, it'd make sense for them to at least be able to *receive* a signal. Not saying that we should take this to super realism and have everything need power to be able to function, but just the ability to toggle them.
    If something like the Microchip comes to pass I guess that would be another form of toggling a switch or trigger ON/OFF and that could be good enough too, but it would still be great to have this "legit" way of doing things.

·Separate idea #1: It would be amazing if there was a way for us to be able to move logic around without having to remove the gates and switches around, effectively having to redo the logic wired to or out of it. Perhaps a way in which you could, say, hold down shift, then hold your click on the gate, and then you could drag the thing to its new location without severing the connections. Sometimes all your logic need is just a bit of tidying up, which is kind of difficult to do when you first came up with the idea and started working on it, sometimes rather impossible to tell how many things it'll need or where things will be in the end, and the end product more often than not ends up looking huge mess, which in itself has a lot of downsides... worst of which being cutting a wire somewhere by accident and suddenly you don't even know where to connect it to.

I think all of these things together would make Starbound's wiring *much* more robust and open a lot of possibilities for people who like building and making contraptions :) Currently there are a lot of things you can make with the current wiring in the game that are pretty complex, but they usually need rooms and rooms full of logic to make them tick, not to mention some of the simple stuff as well, just because we're missing these 3 things.
    I'll add more if I can recall more useful gates. Right now it's been too long since I played LBP :p only these 3 things come to mind. It may be it but there may be one or two I'm missing.

Thanks in advance! and apologies if this is somehow in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016