A few questions about the game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackleaf, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

Hello!
    I grew up with harvest moon SNES and im really looking forward to Stardew.
    Now im just wondering a couple of things,
    First off: Will there be festivals and holidays like harvest moon. And will they be fictional,real festivals or a mix of the two?
    Secondly: How the hell will multiplayer work? Will it work like terraria with the server or something else?
    Also while on the topic of multiplayer, How will romancing work in multiplayer? Can you romance other players and what happens if multiple people romance the same character?

Finaly: How big is the world map and what does it consist of? So far we have seen Farm,Mountains,Town,Cave and Beach.
    Will there be more than this? Also while im at it is it randomly generated? And the cavern, How big is that place?

Whould appricate it if concerned ape took a look at this and answered :)

• Lirinya

Lirinya Orbital Explorer

Blackleaf likes this.
    • Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

Thanks i havnt really checked out most of the "offical" forums.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

These are the official forums now. Those are the original ones, but now that we're here on Starbound, these are official :D

We're definitely getting festivals, I know that much. World maps were not discussed, so I know nothing about those.

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

They'll be a mix of the two, probably... or maybe a more "generic" version of a real holiday (Egg Festival rather than "Easter").

Multiplayer will work similar to Terraria, in that one player acts as the "server". I'm thinking that any single player farm you start can potentially be a multiplayer farm. You'd have to make the farm
          "open" somehow and then your friends could stop by or even set up a permanent home. If you want to just play single player then you'd never "open" your farm. In terms of romance,
          players will be able to marry each other or an NPC. If two players try to romance the same character, it'll probably just be a race to see who can win his/her hand first.

In addition to what you mentioned there's a Bus Stop, Forest/Other Farm, Desert, and some other areas that don't really have specific features yet. I am also probably going to add another area similar to the caves, but outdoors.
          There's the Stardew Valley itself which is not randomly generated, and then there's some outlying areas which are randomly generated (like the caverns). The cavern is pretty big... it goes
          hundreds of levels deep and spans several distinct "biomes" (and other surprises).

The world map isn't huge, but I feel like this kind of game is more about being part of the community and watching it grow and change rather than exploring a huge world. I still want to have some excitement of exploration and discovery... that's what the caverns and other randomly generated areas hopefully will achieve.

• Cheesey

Cheesey Title Not Found

That's awesome to hear. Every last bit ^^

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the response. I am looking forward to the game and am always interested in procedural generation in games and emergent behavior that can come with it. You rock! Looking forward to the summer.

peace

• Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

Just one question about Stardew Valley : is that the grass and trees grow in this game ?
                If it's not clear sorry... I'm French xD

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yea, I'm pretty curious to see if grass or trees will grow back o_O
                  Will we re-plant trees?

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Yeah the grass spreads and grows on its own... you'll have to use fences or "planters" to keep it contained, or else be hacking at it every couple of days. Trees do grow as well... you'll see little seeds in the soil, then in a few days they'll sprout... and afet a few growth stages they turn into a big tree! You'll be able to plant trees yourself, too. They don't grow in winter, so might have a reason to start a little tree farm in the fall so you have plenty of wood to chop. I am also considering other uses of trees... (shade-grown crops? Tapping for syrup?)

Mopy and Ephexis like this.
                    • Flagg03

Flagg03 Void-Bound Voyager

Perfect... Clever game. I like that !

• LightBulb

LightBulb Space Spelunker

I have seen so some Screenshots and Videos, but i only found 1 Screenshot about Winter, hope something comes there soon. I'm still looking forward to SV

• Dizzard

Dizzard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a few questions myself:

Will there be Beekeeping? Collecting honey, wearing the suit....that kind of thing?

Will there be horse riding and horse races?

Will there be bulls in the game and will they be violent?

When you put produce in the produce bin, do you have any say where it goes? Do you have specific clients that you can interact with? Or is it just that they go to some undisclosed location and you just get the money? (sounds kinda shady when I say it like that...)

wbarnes1989 likes this.
                          • CJoker3221

In one of the Harvest Moon series, there's always a person who takes the products by 5 in the evening and comment on you whether you have products in there or not? Probably like that lol

• Mopy

Mopy Cosmic Narwhal

I really like the ideas for alternate tree usage. Perhaps fruit trees as well?

• CJoker3221

Mopy likes this.
                              • Mopy

Mopy Cosmic Narwhal

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Fruit trees are awesome.