A method for nullifying fall damage

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by TigBits, Jul 17, 2018.

1. TigBits

TigBits Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound needs to have at least one method of completely nullifying fall damage. I've come up with a few different options.

1. Make all four Environmental Protection Packs nullify fall damage.

2. Make only the final Cooling EPP Upgrade nullify fall damage.

3. Make a new final EPP tier that requires Solarium Stars and adds nullification of fall damage to the previous tiers' effects.

4. Make the nullification incremental. Add 25% fall damage reduction to the Breathing EPP and then add an additional 25% reduction to each tier so you end up with 100% fall damage reduction on the Cooling EPP Upgrade.

2. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

You already have double jump and wall grabbing >_>

3. It's E

It's E Void-Bound Voyager

Those options are almost all just trimmed versions of the same option.

Realistically speaking, impact F = MA, with A (acceleration) essentially being delta-V (change in velocity), which in this case is the difference between your velocity and the velocity of whatever you impact, and since 90% of the time you're impacting a nonmoving floor (relatively speaking), delta V is basically just your downward velocity. Combine that with the fact that your mass is fixed and that the mass of the ground is more or less fixed, and you can deduce that the impact force is basically just based off of your downward velocity at the point of impact. And sure enough, if you go look at the code for fall damage, whether or not you incur damage is just based off of your downward velocity, plus a bonus minimum-distance requirement so that short falls don't damage you on super high gravity planets. It's a pretty fair design.

That being said, while I totally agree with the requirements for incurring damage, the calculation for the damage number itself looks like gibberish to me. That might just be me though.