RELEASED A More Interesting Sam 1.3

This mod adds 100+ more lines to Sam. I always felt that Sam was a nice character, but after a while

1. ssr66

ssr66 Guest

ssr66 submitted a new mod:

A More Interesting Sam - This mod adds 100+ more lines to Sam. I always felt that Sam was a nice character, but after a while

Read more about this mod...

Medicell likes this.
    • Sabreene

Sabreene Astral Cartographer

Looks interesting! I recently downloaded the Sebastian mod you were talking about, along with a different one for Elliott, and it's nice to see something for Sam!! I'm curious, I noticed several "" #!String in the dialogue, like: spring_18: "" #!String

Since there isn't text to read or anything inside the "", I was wondering what it does in game? I'm new to both modding and to Stardew, just played it for the first time a couple weeks ago, so I'm still learning. I've been opening all the mods I download, though, to see how they work and what they do before I put them in the game.

Thanks, and great work!!

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest

Hi @Sabreene!
        For the "" #!Strings, I used the dialogue template mod in order for me to be more organized. I don't believe they'll do anything, but I updated the mod so the unused prompts aren't there anymore. They were for birthdays for other villagers, but I only added birthday dialogue that was relevant to Sam (Sebastian, Abigail, Penny, Jodi, Kent, and Vincent).
        On a side note, I am also relatively new to modding and, in case you haven't seen it, I recommend this modding guide. It doesn't have everything, but it's helps get you started. If you have any questions about modding, I might be able to help. Anyway, thank you for messaging me and I hope you enjoy my mod! :3

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
        • ssr66

ssr66 Guest

• Sabreene

Thank you for the reply! I checked out the modding guide too, so helpful! I haven't gotten a chance to play yet (ugh, real life!), but will be starting up a new game with your dialogue soon!! I do have a question, but I think I'll ask in general, in case you're not around (real life happens to all of us, lmao!). It's about what portrait goes to what symbol (I know the basics, angry/sad/happy/love, but not the others).

Thanks again for your great dialogue! I read through all of it, and it really fits Sam for me :) :)

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest

@Sabreene It goes it order from 0 (being the first) to 9 (the last). Even if the portrait slot is empty, it still counts as a number and it should be skipped (i.e. Sam's sixth portrait is blank, but the one after it is still portrait seven). So if you want the surprised for say, Maru, you's put $9, but surprised for Elliott is $8. Anyway, thank you for the attention and feedback! I noticed an issue with the yearly dialogue, so I'm going to upload another update (sorry!:facepalm:). But I get on frequently, so I should get back to you pretty fast if message me.

Attached Files:

HopeWasHere likes this.
            • ssr66

ssr66 Guest

• Sabreene

Thanks for the help! It made so much sense once I realized it starts with 0. And I got your new update, which worked well, since I still haven't started my new playthrough :D

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest

Yay! :up:
                I'm always happy to help, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Also, thanks for the review you left. Really appreciate it!:3

• ektobiologist

ektobiologist Big Damn Hero

so! i love this mod! sam's repeating dialogue was the woooorst, especially because his events are so great!

i am running into a bug: across multiple saves, modded and unmodded, sam's new dialogue xnb causes my game to crash during sleep on the 9th night of spring. i did some digging and found that at least one way to stop the crash was to delete his birthday dialogue for vincent on the 10th - just removing that line alone solved the problem. so far no other crashes, and i can't for the life of me figure out why that particular line is causing such a fuss for me. but i thought i'd let you know in case someone else also runs into the issue!

• Sabreene

I'm not to that point in my game yet (though I should be soon!), but I took a quick look, just to see... I'm wondering if it could be the code after "expected" :
                    spring_10: "I ordered Vincent a new set of toy cars for his birthday today, but they are arriving later than expected.$#b$ I hope they come in today.$s" #!String

Looks like a # is missing, and the code to the portrait after the $ is missing. I'm almost there, so I'll probably change mine to just #$b# and see if it still crashes. Will let you know!

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Oddly enough, someone else reported the issue on my Nexus mod page at around the same time. They also reported another issue with Summer 10, so I'm going to try to fix that before I upload a new update.

• Sabreene

Let me know if/when you figure out what is wrong with Summer 10! I recently had another problem with a different dialogue (an expanded Abigail) that gave a similar error, but that one seemed to be fixed when I removed reference to her hand. With your summer 10 line, I don't see anything wrong! I passed summer 10 in my game, and nothing came up here, though I am doing a weird quick-play, testing out dialogue for the married-Elliott that I was updating, and I'm at level hearts with Sam (I gave all of them bouquets before my character married).

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest