A new player who needs some advise/help...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pillowtroop1, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
?

Who should I marry?

1. Abigail

53.3%
  2. Haley

46.7%
  1. Pillowtroop1

Pillowtroop1 Void-Bound Voyager

So I recently purchased Stardew Valley for Xbox One (best purchase so far) its midsummer of year 1 for me and I can't decide out these two people who I should start to commit more time for a relationship with: Abigail or Haley. I'm personally leaning more towards Abigail, but I also like Haley, so I need help with that choice.

And one more thing: which crop has the best low-cost-high-reward ratio for summer that I can sell?
    Thanks for the advise if you reply!

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Well, from a strategy standpoint there won't be any difference, all spouses will perform the same tasks once they move in with you on the farm.

So I'd say go with the personality you like best - they are very different people, almost opposite ends of the spectrum really. You can read up about them on the Wiki or just learn about their personalities through talking to them.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Are you the adventurous, daring sort who likes to swordfight in the mines, or are you more the stay-at-home sort? While it's true that the spouses do all have the same general chores and tasks once you marry them, if you're the sort who thinks of yourself as your farmer-- who role-plays-- then you can consider Abigail a better 'match' for a would-be adventurer (Once married, she will sometimes give gifts she says she got from the mines, even though you never actually see her going there) and Haley would seem better suited for a more traditional homebody spouse.

While there's a lot of detailed guides out there for crops cost-to-benefit ratio, I'd personally suggest multiple harvest crops like peppers, tomatoes, and /especially/ hops, all of which can be processed into artisanal goods for better money. Hops in particular ramps up to a harvest /every day/ once mature, and if kegged to make Pale Ale, turns into a nice bonus. Blueberries are always popular, even after the recent price-nerf in 1.1.

• Pillowtroop1

Thanks for the feedback!

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

• sungho28

sungho28 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're into tsundere go with haley jk :rofl:
            For the crops, i suggest going for these:
            Spring: Potatoes
            Summer: blueberry
            Fall: Cranberry

• Zidane471

Zidane471 Industrial Terraformer

Haley can be a real sweetheart. (The idea that you need to get to know her is sorta overstated as nearly all townsfolk, especially singles, go through a similar arc.) Now, selling her over Abigail is rather difficult since my preference is Abigail. (Though I am in the process of a multiverse so I will eventually have a file with all the singles. Hmm, that's twice I've mentioned that now. I'm really excited to share on the forum but, dread the amount of time/text associated. >.>) Either way, I guess from my experience Haley is the more cozy of the options if that makes sense. I couldn't really put it into words, they are both very loving. Haley just has a unique warmness and bubbliness about her. (Like a good bottle of champagne by the fireplace on a starry winter's night.)

• wafflerie

wafflerie Void-Bound Voyager

You could see both for yourself if you're having a really hard time deciding. You can romance pretty much all the candidates (at the same time) to see how your relationships go and be able to see for yourself which bachelor(ette) you like better in the long run to marry.

That's what I did. I got all the 'singles' to full ten hearts so that I could watch all the cut scenes and get to know them individually.

Also I agree it depends on how you choose to play. Abigail likes receiving quirky~ things you might find in the mines. Haley like sunflowers and cakes. That sort of thing could be what you might look at in terms of your own interests and the way you play as The Farmer.

A somber but useful reminder: you can divorce a spouse if you'd rather marry someone else. It'd be awkward but you can also choose to wipe your ex-spouse's memory and resetting your relationship with them so as far as they know you were only ever good friends.

SUMMER CROP: Blueberries are good if you plan on just straight up selling your crops. But if you go for the artisan route then I recommend hops. Turn them all into pale ale and you get really good investment early on. It just requires more work.

Good luck!

• Pillowtroop1

1 more quick question (thanks for feedback on previous ones) If I give Abigail an item she loves, for example Amethyst, will she gain hearts quicker?

• wafflerie

wafflerie Void-Bound Voyager

Yep. Especially on her birthday.

• Zidane471

Zidane471 Industrial Terraformer

I miss the days when Abigail enjoyed the taste of Amethyst. Pretty sure that is part of why she is my favorite. (Actually, all those purple gems would go a long way to explaining why her hair never fades from purple. Just a thought... and... I think I just made a new head canon.)

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

The choice is really up to you. I married Haley, then I married Penny in my second save file, then I married Abigail in my third save file, then I married Leah in my fourth save file, and then.. that is it for now! Each guy and girl is a little different, they have different quirks and do different things. Overall the experience is the same, but deep down each guy or girl is unique, so follow your heart!

The choice is based on what you picked for Level 5 Farming and Level 10 Farming. If you picked 'Tiller' (Crops worth 10% more) and then chose 'Artisan' then it is better to turn Hops into Pale Ale or turn other items into Artisan Goods. If you didn't choose the Artisan bonus or did not get to Farming Level 10, I would say it is better to harvest Blueberries

Yes, she will gain hearts quicker. There are Items that each person loves, which gives the most points towards a heart. Then there are items that each person likes, which gives them less points than what they love. There are items which they don't like or dislike, which gives even less points towards a heart. Then there are items they dislike, which takes away points towards a heart, and items they hate, which takes away even more points! You can get a huge boost in points when you give someone something they love/like/Neutral on their Birthday and when you are their Secret Santa (And lose a ton if you give them something they dislike or heart on their birthday or Secret Santa)

• Pillowtroop1

I have a question about different/multiple saves... do people do it just to marry different characters or for other reasons as well? That's the only reason I can see for it right now.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

For a roleplay point of view, Haley will be prefered on a ranch, full of animals, since she cares and rejoice more with animals.
                            Abigail would be better with a farmer that want to do a little of everything (not just mining), because that's how she is, a freedom spirit!

Haley want to know more about the world and the people
                            Abigail find funny, in rummage the trash bin of her older house, looking for fun...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

That, or to take a different approach. Say for example you focused mainly on crops in your first save, but in another you'd like to specialize in livestock. Or bees/honey. Or have a big orchard and make wine and preserves. There's so many possibilities with this game, that's why it has so much replay value. There's always something different to do each time you play. :)

Jerev and Surenu like this.