Boss A Po-focussed Boss

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Havoc, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Havoc

Havoc Subatomic Cosmonaut

To help better utilize GeorgeV's new Po, here's a fun boss encounter.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lore
    On a far-flung planet, you come across an APEX scientific outpost. Upon questioning, one of the scientists tells you about an experiment that didn't quite work out as well as planned. The scientists had been conducting research into nutrition, in the attempt to create the ultimate diet pill. To speed up experiments, the scientists created the Anomalous Primate Experiment, or A.P.E. for short. After telling you this much, the scientist clams up, and won't tell you what exactly went wrong. All you can get out of him is a map to the old lab.

Structure
    Once you get to the lab, you explore and finally discover the room housing the A.P.E., which is (unsurprisingly) an enormous monkey. The monkey is locked into a large room with a number (3-5) fruit trees, which periodically grow new fruit.

Each time a piece of fruit drops from a tree, the A.P.E. rushes over and noms it. This causes him to spawn (cough, cough) a set of Pos. These Pos are able to travel though 2-block wide ventilation ducts to where the player is waiting, and attack.

Phase 1
    To begin Phase 1, the player pulls a lever to open the door to the A.P.E.'s room. This starts a countdown of say two minutes, while the door slowly begins to roll open. Unfortunately, it also knocks open the ventilation ducts, which allow a flood of Pos to reach and attack the player. The player must fend off these attacks till the dorr is fully open. Since the ducts are just 2 blocks wide, the player can't use them to sneak into the room early.

Phase 2
    Phase two begins when the player enters the room. Pos continue to spawn, and must be fended off. The A.P.E. is invulnerable at this point, but will occasionally fling some Pos at the player. A hit will stun the player for a few seconds. In this phase, the player's goal is to cut down the fruit trees, to prevent further Pos from spawning.

Phase 3
    Once all the trees have been cut down, the A.P.E. gets enraged. He charges the player, and can be tricked into banging his head into one of the walls. This stuns him, and leaves him vulnerable to the player's attacks for a short period. From this point it's a conventional battle, where you slowly whittle his health down to 0.

Rough Schematic
    [​IMG]

I look forward to hearing what you think!

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

I'm not sure boss fights are going to be scripted like this and I don't even think indestructible blocks are in game, besides the planet cores. Nice idea though :up:

tassina likes this.
  4. Havoc

Thanks for the feedback Mewmew. Given the LUA support in the game, I hope that it will be possible to script up such a boss.

As for indestructible blocks, they could on the same 'dungeon protection' mechanic that prevents damage to other dungeons.

MEWMEW likes this.
  5. Solomon Darling

Solomon Darling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG] < I see what you did there ) :poo:

The idea seems fun, though :)

EnergyProExtreme and tassina like this.
  6. JennShii

JennShii Pangalactic Porcupine

Creative... I think... :x

7. IronLotus

IronLotus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like it, awkward...but I like it.

8. Percival

Percival Phantasmal Quasar

I'm still wondering if these little shits can double jump, seeing as the double jump was put in with them. Perhaps take that into account in the boss fight.

onerb2 likes this.
  9. EnergyProExtreme

EnergyProExtreme Star Wrangler

There are objects on dungeons that don't let the player destroy the dungeon's blocks until the player destroy this object

FrangoST likes this.
  10. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I like this sort of design. You didn't actually give it multiple forms, but there are still several distinct sections of the battle.

The boss seems incredibly easy though. Even easier than the Penguin UFO, which is laughably easy.

11. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Yes all of my yes

12. Havoc

Thanks for all your support. I find it interesting that the comments above are all encouraging, while the suggestion has been voted down to -15. Talk about mixed messages!

Oh well. I doubt the devs will pick this up with the mixed reaction. Maybe this inspires a modder.

As for difficulty, that can be scaled based on how much health the Po has, how much damage it does, and the length of the stun from having a Po thrown at you. It could get quite difficult juggling tools, trying to chop down trees while also fending off a horde of Pos.

13. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

No.

No no no no no no no no no.

No.

No no.

No.

Conkers Bad Fur Day did shit perfectly and this will only come across as a very pale imitation at best. No boss should be a Po, if they're going to be in the game they should be a little "humorous" novelty, not the focus of an adventure in the slightest.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  14. DeadlyLuvdisc

You know, for some reason when I first read this I only paid attention to the actual design.

Now that you mention the thematic content, it really is just a poor knock-off.

Let me guess, the dungeon right before the A.P.E. contains a gun that shoots toilet paper rolls, right?

15. Havoc

I've never player Conkers Bad Fur Day. Anyone want to fill be in on how that fight went?

16. DeadlyLuvdisc

17. Havoc

I can see some similarity, though I was going more for a 'monkeys flinging their own poo' vibe. The boss here is not a big turd, just a turd-maker. I'm not sure how this could have been more different while still featuring the Po.

My goal was (as you highlighted earlier) to have a boss battle that requires distinctly different actions in it's different phases, but still progress naturally, without the boss just changing form.

18. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Or this: WARNING! GROSS CONTENT!

19. FrangoST

FrangoST Orbital Explorer

Yeah, that's true, and the object could be positioned in another room, behind the cage...

20. DeadlyLuvdisc

How about this?

The boss could just be a giant sewer sludge monster that spawns additional po as it takes damage.

There could be piles of garbage that the sludge boss could eat, causing it to eject massive numbers of po at once.

The boss can eat the po that it spawns to regain health, so you have more reason to kill the po.

To prevent the boss from eating garbage ->spawning po -> eating them for health, you can destroy the garbage piles.

If it swallows you whole, you have to deal damage to cut/blast your way out because it rapidly digests you inside.

The level of the sewer water gradually rises, with exposed wires higher up that can electrify nearby water.

If you use the grappling hook from inside the boss and latch onto the electrical wires, it zaps the boss for heavy damage.

The boss floats on top of the water, so when the level gets too high it slips through grates on the ceiling.

You pursue the boss upwards through an elevator shaft, but new po produced by the boss will drop down from above.

When you reach the top, the water level stops and you can finish the boss at your own pace.

The boss becomes enraged and deals greater damage when it is forced to the top of the arena.

This design allows you to try to kill the boss before the additional stages begin, but provides a lot of distractions to slow you down. The room itself has annoying water and exposed wires to avoid, and when you harm the boss or allow it to eat the garbage piles it spawns a ton of po that can attack you or get eaten to heal the boss. The elevator phase is a lot like the first phase of your version of the po boss. Then you can finish the boss off at the top where it no longer has all those distractions to slow you down, but it deals more direct damage.

Model QT-377665 and Serenity like this.