A request for "Post-Beta"//"1.0"

Discussion in 'Other' started by Waphyl, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waphyl

Waphyl Yeah, You!

So, setting up servers is a pain in the butt and I just can't seem to get my friends on before the World Thread stops. So I'd like to make a request for when version 1.0 comes out:

Take out the "Launch Starbound Server" option in the launcher. Now hear me out! I have reasons.

When you go into the multiplayer option in the game, you should be able to hit a button that says "Host and Play", which then will allow you to set a server up with your friends on steam with a password to get in. Kind of like Terraria, when it's set up, you can shift + tab into the friends list and click "Join Game" to get in when the host hits Host and Play.

I understand if this is too tedious, but PLEASE make setting up servers not make me wanna refund the game!

2. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

If you had read the plans for 1.0, you'd see that it's coming.
    Here's a copy of it, bolded the part that says it.
    A New Style of Multiplayer

Multiplayer in Starbound has always been a bit technical to get off of the ground, requiring the player to set up a server, forward ports, share IPs and so on. We’re hoping to use Steam to massively streamline this process though there are still some technical hurdles we’re working through. Our goal is to create two kinds of multiplayer experiences.

• Drop in/Drop out of a friends ‘singleplayer’ game, through steam invites. This would be limited to 4 players max by default (edited via config). This method would require no server hosting, no IP sharing or port forwarding. Simply invite your friend to the game you’re currently playing offline.
    • Dedicated Servers. This would continue to use the server/client model and be entirely configurable by server admins. The goal being to provide as flexible a solution as possible.
    We’re also looking at what security improvements we can make, though this is going to be a tough one with the degree to which Starbound is moddable.

3. Dunto

Dunto Guest

As @Kezeal mentioned, there are already plans for easier multiplayer. As this isn't the right forum for Suggestions, I've moved it to the right one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.