1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED A.V.I.A.N. Avian Core

Artificial Visual Intelligent Assistance Network

1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

What I would like to see is compatibility with other AI mods, by not replacing all AIs.

Come on now~

2. PoeShmoe

PoeShmoe Space Spelunker

Question: Are you ever going to fix the text scrolling starting from the bottom? It doesn't bother me too much... But it's a bit of an annoyance.
    ... Nice mod, though.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    Read the description of the mod again. Nevermind.

3. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

So, this may come off as a daunting request, but could you well, create custom AIs for each vanilla race? It's pretty damn clear that you are very talented at both writing up better custom text and animating than what CF has provided with the vanilla AIs.

CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
  4. SaberMurusaki

SaberMurusaki Phantasmal Quasar

this is too good for starbound
    i love it
    10 out of 10
    now that makes me want to make S.A.I.L AI,
    well i will someday but now im working on more manipulator upgrades

5. Yuni

Yuni Phantasmal Quasar

I love how this works, however it causes bugs and doesn't work with custom races. =O I don't know if there's anything that can be done about though.

6. SaberMurusaki

SaberMurusaki Phantasmal Quasar

replace custom races ai with this one and your done (just replace ai folder with avian ai folder)

7. Mackinz

And this is why AVIAN should be updated for patching. It's been two months...

8. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Huh, not that simple. You have to override the custom race's AI with AVIAN for each mission and AI command file. Not hard for a modder, but it is some work, as you would need to mod 23 files if the mod doesn't add any new missions or AI commands.

It's not just that. Making it use patching is what those files I posted some time ago were about (which the author is free to use, no credit needed, if he desires). Using patching just makes a mod a bit more future proof and easier to maintain, it doesn't automagically makes it aware of new races.

To make it compatible with other AI or mission mods is a tad more complicated and can cause side-effects due to how limited the AI system is. Basically, every AI shares animation sizes and a bunch of other settings, so unless some clunky workarounds are used, in order to improve the AI animation every single race AI needs to be updated at the same time.

I wonder if we could lobby ChuckleFish to allow mods to set SAIL animations, and a few other AI parameters, per race...

9. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Gaah, I had accidentally alerts for watched threads turned off and didn't notice there were so many replies :O Once Im home from work I'll give a more indepth reply as I'm on mobile right now.
    And now I accidentally hit report instead of reply
    fuuuuuu... x_x

EDIT:
    Finally at home at last!
    And very sorry for that accidental report >_<
    Dumb phone

First of all
    Yey!

And next, well, originally I had planned to look into patching for mods instead of replacing fairly soon after I originally uploaded A.V.I.A.N. Especially with the help of @Kawa.
    But then I got some dumb issues at work and I wasn't feeling well for a few weeks. Lately I've been getting a little back into things again though.
    I really hope I'll be able to work on an update in the coming days. Where I make it patch instead of replace.
    I imagine I will try to make it in such a way that you can replace any race's AI individually, instead of like now with that mod, replacing them all at once. (You'd have to unzip the folder then, and pick out the mod version for the race you like and move that into the mod folder, instead of the unzipped full folder)
    It shouldn't clash with custom races and their AIs then.

One thing I probably won't do is making versions for all races. It looks nice and all, but it's waaaaaaay too much work.
    It was more of an art project to learn pixel art and animating, which I turned into a mod. I didn't even expect I would end up making a mod when I drew it. (Especially since I have to update and upkeep it then)
    I could probably just modify the face to make it look different for every race, but it wouldn't feel right, as the animation and personality would be pretty much the same.

Also that bug with the skyrail is noted. I haven't changed the mod since the unstable, so I imagine they added it afterwards. Or I just missed it somehow :O

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Kawa, Yuni and Mackinz like this.
  10. Mackinz

By the way, if you are looking for suggestions beyond "fix compatibility", how about making alternative versions of AVIAN like breast-less, white chest and breast-less white chest? Some of us play with mods that change the Avian body shape, after all.

11. Yuni

Yuni Phantasmal Quasar

Hopefully you can fix it so it works for custom races. ^_^ I'm very fond of your Avian AI girl. Thank you for your hard work, Sweetie.

12. Cgeta

I've been looking a little bit into it today. Doesn't look too hard to use patches. Can't really say until I did some testing though.

One thing I noticed and remembered again, and read about here too, yeah, is that all AIs use the same amount of frames, and the game is a little simple with that. Loading them the same way for every race, meaning that if I adjust the size, I have to adjust the size for ALL races D:

I forgot if I thought of that before, or even tried, or someone told me, dunno? But I could try to make the "aiAnimations" section, the section that loads the animations, be faction specific. But I think I tried that before? Or I tried that somewhere else before? But adding faction flags doesn't work anywhere, outside of the normally used areas, I think?
    Like:

"species" : {
    "avian" : {

"aiAnimations" : {

"unique" : {
    "frames" : "<image>:appear.<index>",
    "mode" : "loopForever",
    "frameNumber" : 57,
    "animationCycle" : 5.0,
    "centered" : false
    }
    }

I guess the game wouldn't really accept that.

So yeah, if I do patches and stuff, I couldn't make the mod replace the AI only for the avians. Like said, it would make the mod a little more future proof, but that's it.

The game is too restrictive for that, I remember. The AIs are too intertwined with other things to simply work with custom races either. So if you use one, one that has its own ai, you would either have to replace the custom race ones with my avian, file for file, again, or, remove my ai, sorry ._.
    Dang I forgot so much already! Especially how limited it was. I knew I was looking for a few things that have become issues now.
    Someone remind me if I forgot something >_<

EDIT:

One thing I could do is make a simple AVIAN ai, just as simple as the original ones. With TWO frames for most animations :rofl:
    She would still be nice to look at, but not be very indeptht at all

Alternatively I could try a new mod where I do AIs for all races, but they would not be as complex as AVIAN at all, but still not as flat as the default ones

13. Mackinz

When push comes to shove, start a conversation with @Kawa !

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You can totes use as many frames as you want... for the added animations.
    Remember: namespaced animations are key.
    Code:
    [
        {
            "op": "add",
            "path": "/aiAnimations/felin_restart1",
            "value": {
                "frames": "<image>:felin_restart1.<index>",
                "mode": "loopForever",
                "frameNumber": 4,
                "centered": false
            }
        },
        {
            "path": "/aiAnimations/felin_restart2",
                "frames": "<image>:felin_restart2.<index>",
                "mode": "stop",
                "frameNumber": 16,
            }
        },
        {
            "path": "/aiAnimations/felin_slip",
                "frames": "<image>:felin_slip.<index>",
                "mode": "stop",
                "frameNumber": 41,
            }
        },

{
            "op": "replace",
            "path": "/species/felin/openSpeech/0/0/animation",
            "value": "felin_restart1"
        }
    ]

Code:
    {
        "frameGrid" : {
            "size" : [90, 94],
            "dimensions" : [8, 10],
            "names" : [
                ["idle", "blink", "talk.0", "talk.1", "yell.0", "yell.1", null, null],
                ["refuse.0", "refuse.1", "refuse.2", "refuse.3", "refuse.4", "refuse.5", "refuse.6", "refuse.7"],
                ["unique.0", "unique.1", "unique.2", "unique.3", "unique.4", "unique.5", "unique.6", "unique.7"],
                ["felin_restart1.0", "felin_restart1.1", "felin_restart1.2", "felin_restart1.3", null, null, null, null],
                ["felin_restart2.0", "felin_restart2.1", "felin_restart2.2", "felin_restart2.3", "felin_restart2.4", "felin_restart2.5", "felin_restart2.6", "felin_restart2.7"],
                ["felin_restart2.8", "felin_restart2.9", "felin_restart2.10", "felin_restart2.11", "felin_restart2.12", "felin_restart2.13", "felin_restart2.14", null],
                ["felin_slip.0", "felin_slip.4", "felin_slip.8", "felin_slip.12", "felin_slip.14", "felin_slip.15", "felin_slip.16", "felin_slip.17"],
                ["felin_slip.18", "felin_slip.19", "felin_slip.29", "felin_slip.34", "felin_slip.37", null, null, null],
                [null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null],
                [null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null]
            ]
        },
        "aliases" : {
            "felin_restart2.15" : "idle",

"felin_slip.1" : "felin_slip.0",
            "felin_slip.2" : "felin_slip.0",
            "felin_slip.3" : "felin_slip.0",
            "felin_slip.5" : "felin_slip.4",
            "felin_slip.6" : "felin_slip.4",
            "felin_slip.7" : "felin_slip.4",
            "felin_slip.9" : "felin_slip.8",
            "felin_slip.10" : "felin_slip.8",
            "felin_slip.11" : "felin_slip.8",
            "felin_slip.13" : "felin_slip.12",
            "felin_slip.20" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.21" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.22" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.23" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.24" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.25" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.26" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.27" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.28" : "felin_slip.19",
            "felin_slip.30" : "felin_slip.29",
            "felin_slip.31" : "felin_slip.29",
            "felin_slip.32" : "felin_slip.29",
            "felin_slip.33" : "felin_slip.29",
            "felin_slip.35" : "felin_slip.34",
            "felin_slip.36" : "felin_slip.34",
            "felin_slip.38" : "felin_slip.37",
            "felin_slip.39" : "felin_slip.37",
            "felin_slip.40" : "felin_slip.37",

"idle.0" : "idle",
            "idle.1" : "idle",
            "idle.2" : "idle",
            "idle.3" : "idle",
            "idle.4" : "idle",
            "idle.5" : "idle",
            "idle.6" : "idle",
            "idle.7" : "idle",
            "idle.8" : "idle",
            "idle.9" : "idle",
            "idle.10" : "idle",
            "idle.11" : "idle",
            "idle.12" : "idle",
            "idle.13" : "blink",
            "idle.14" : "idle",
            "idle.15" : "idle",
            "idle.16" : "idle",
            "idle.17" : "idle",
            "idle.18" : "idle",
            "idle.19" : "idle",
            "idle.20" : "idle"
        }
    }

Code:
    [
        {
            "path": "/speciesText/felin/selectSpeech/0/animation",
            "value": "felin_restart1"
        },
        {
            "path": "/speciesText/felin/successSpeech/0/animation",
            "value": "felin_restart2"
        }
    ]

15. Cgeta

Ooh, just now I get it fully, I think! I just load every single animation as its own, as addition (with the avian_-prefix), completely leaving the original ones untouched.

And when it comes to actually playing the animations in the aicommands, I can set different animations for different races. So there i'll just pick the avian_-prefixed ones I did instead of the regular ones.

Neat. Thanks!X3

Kawa likes this.
  16. Stralazah

Stralazah Void-Bound Voyager

Question: Is she/it multiplayer compatible? :)

17. LoganTheNovakid

LoganTheNovakid Yeah, You!

how do i install this mod D:

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Pangalactic Porcupine

Should be. It doesn't influence anything that could cause multiplayer issues.

19. Corbinsor

Corbinsor Void-Bound Voyager

Do you think you could make it compatible with the Kimono race mod? I love my wolf charrie, and I love your mod. I don't love that they don't work together :c
    It just shows me the default human AI when using the Kimono, but it shows me A.V.I.A.N. while using other races

20. mclucario

mclucario Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I need some help. I'm using the mod with the Lucario Race Mod and it doesn't seems to show up. I'm using it with one of my safe files on Upbeat Giraffe.