1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED A.V.I.A.N. Avian Core

Artificial Visual Intelligent Assistance Network

1. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

Depends on what kind of compatibility you'd want.

Due to the way how idle animations work, it's not possible to make the avians use the AVIAN ai, and any custom race use theirs, unless their ai is getting modified to fit too, but it wouldn't be a lot of work.
    Basicly, at the moment, to make the default ai's work with the AVIAN for the avians, I had to make all default idle animations longer. Alternatively I could've made the idle animation of AVIAN shorter, but it would be a lot simpler then.
    If you'd want to use a custom race mod that uses the custom race's ai, while also keeping the AVIAN for the avians, I'd have to modify the custom race's ai's idle animation too, to be 57 frames long I think.

Compatibility in the sense for using the AVIAN ai with custom races would be too much work as I'd have to modify every single file so it would recognize the custom race.
    Generally, custom races clash with most mods I imagine, due to races being involved in almost all assets.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

What happened to working on compatibility with a bit of guidance from Kawa?

3. Cgeta

All I do is change everything so it's getting patched instead of replaced. Which means different mods can use the same files.
    But due to the way how centralized idle animations work, all other ai's are affected either way. So, any mod that has anything to do with ai's at all will probably have issues. Like custom races...
    I can make a version that allows custom races to be used at the same time as my avian. But only if they keep their ai, while avians stick to the avian ai. No avian ai for custom races.
    For that I would only have to lower the size of the idle animation of my avian mod to what the defaults are.

It's not possible to make a version that just replaces all ai's, including custom race ones. I would have to manually add support for each one of them. Going through all files for each one of them. And post them seperately.
    Each one of them...
    I don't think it would be TOO much work though. Only manually adding the custom race to 23 files of the ai. But I also don't want to have to add and change everything for the mod all the time. Working on the update is already messing with my motivation. And I imagine later versions of starbound just add even more aicommands and whatnot, which just make the workload even bigger each time.

The only thing that will happen is that I make a version that replaces the avian's ai only, leaving all other race's default ai's almost intact. (Only their idle animations will be much longer, but they essentially look the same)
    Anyway, this is almost done and I'm mostly testing it now. Took me a while, and some pushing to get to that point. If I can't find any issues during tests, I'll post it. The next version will replace avians ai only.
    But there will be an additional version that replaces all ai's just like before. It will be pretty much the same as before, but quite different internally. With patching.

Maybe later on, depending on my mood and motivation, I could actually do unique versions specially tailored for custom races. Maybe I could streamline the process.
    But on the other hand, there's other things to focus on than a mod

EDIT:

Here is the current version.
    I bet there's still many ways to improve it.

I did not test it fully all the way to the end of the game. I really wish starbound had commands that lets you unlock missions and finish them. It's so much of a chore to run through everything just to see if all texts and expressions are correct.

This version here replaces the avian ai only. All other ai's are almost untouched. If you use a custom race, I don't think it would work properly. But I don't think it would crash either. But it would make the idle animation of the custom race's ai be just a blank screen, I think.
    Just guesses.

I did not update the mod page itself. I just post it here as attachment. So anyone can test it if interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. Drake2312

Drake2312 Big Damn Hero

ok then thanks for the reply

5. stickdude32

stickdude32 Orbital Explorer

Gave it a test run, works for the Avians, but is just idle animation and static for the rest.
    Also since i use the kemono race mod, theirs is the human A.I. so it wouldn't be too hard to add in some races...
    Would it?
    Also, BEST AI EVAR!

6. Cgeta

Oh bother...

I made a full update now and now the site won't let me upload it. Not even here as an attachment. I guess the site has some issues...
    GYAAAHH

Anyway, the current version sacrificed the idle animation and made it as short as the defaults.
    It is now possible to replace any races' AI in any combination you want.
    Custom race support is as simple as copying one version of the A.V.I.A.N. and adding their name into the right places in some files, that is, as long as the custom races' don't add any more aicommands, or animations, or are in any other way more complex than the default AIs. In that case it's a bit more work to make it compatible.

EDIT: I put it on sta.sh then http://sta.sh/01kjawfs68xc

If there's any bugs or glitches, I would like to hear about them as I didn't have much time to test everything!

EDIT:
    Strange, is it no longer possible to upload anything on this site? I've been browsing through various mods and almost all of them link to all kinds of external sites...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. Sekiryuutei

Sekiryuutei Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I'm trying to get this mod work with the Kemono race mod and it crashes the game or the mod doesent activate. is it just a matter of finding which race ai works within the kemono files

8. Cgeta

Sooo, I made a version compatible with the kemono race mod. Should theoretically work from the little testing I did, but if there's some glitches, please tell me.

One thing I completely forgot is that mods can't replace files of other mods!
    So, in order to make it work, you will have to delete the entire ai folder form the kemono race mod, or it's going to clash with the ai folder from my mod.

EDIT: Also I was somehow able to upload this version here. But the full mod still can't be uploaded. Is there a size limit of some kind? I couldn't find anything anywhere about that.

Attached Files:

9. Sekiryuutei

Thanks for the help.

I managed to do what you've told me before I've seen this and I have noticed some of the animations don't work. of example there is a lot of static when I click an option on the update and quest log, the it turns to what I think is the waiting animation (she just stands there swaying a little bit) I don't know if this is to do with me not fixing the FTL drive yet though. I'll try using the files you sent and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the time.

10. Sekiryuutei

The file you give me makes the ai work perfectly

11. mclucario

mclucario Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I need some help. I'm using the mod with the Lucario Race Mod and it doesn't seems to show up. I'm using it with one of my safe files on Upbeat Giraffe.

12. Cgeta

Here's the version for the Lucario race. :3

You will have to unzip, and put both folders into the mod folder. AND, like with the kemono race mod before, you will also have to delete the 'ai'-folder from the lucario race mod. Then it should work. :D

Attached Files:

13. Cgeta

Cgeta updated A.V.I.A.N. with a new update entry:

On google drive now

Read the rest of this update entry...

I hope I properly set that google drive thing up.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. Wulf_Oman

Wulf_Oman Existential Complex

Do you have a link to the new download, or is the one from "download now" correct?

15. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

If you're having compatability issues with other mods' AIs, then perhaps you could list those other mods as "included" for your mod's .modinfo file (or "required" if overwriting parts of those mods with .patch files) so that your mod would try to build off from those other mods if they're present? I do this for a few of my own mods, and I find that it works wonders in guaranteeing that certain mods load before others do.

16. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

Is this compatible with the Ponex race yet from the MLP mod?

17. Jeng10

Jeng10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oracana Race please if you are busy its ok i can wait :)

18. Cgeta

Yus!
    Once I get home today, I'll be adding all custom races requested since the last version.
    And I'll look into dependencies and try to put the image in the base folder to make the mod a lot smaller.

19. SomeOtherGuy

SomeOtherGuy Title Not Found

Could you also add in compatibility for the Avali race (the community update versions found throughout its discussion thread)? Thanks.

20. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Dependencies are so Enraged Koala. For Upbeat Giraffe, you'll need to study up on "requiring" and "including" mods within your mod's .modinfo file to eliminate the need to delete other race mods' .ai files.

For example:
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "A.V.I.A.N. My Race",
      "version" : "Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe",
      "requires" : ["My Race Mod"]
    }
    This will tell Starbound to attempt to load the "required" mods before loading the A.V.I.A.N. mod. If any of the "required" mods aren't present, then the A.V.I.A.N. mod won't load either.

Or, if you want a master A.V.I.A.N. mod that cuts down on space by sharing common files (such as .png files) across several races, then perhaps this would be better:
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "A.V.I.A.N.",
      "version" : "Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe",
      "includes" : ["Race #1 Mod", "Race #2 Mod", "Race #3 Mod", "Etc."]
    }
    Like with "required" mods, this will tell Starbound to attempt to load the "included" mods before loading the A.V.I.A.N. mod. However, even if the "included" mods aren't present, the A.V.I.A.N. mod will still load.

Using this method, you can create .patch files for other mods' assets. (I've used this to, for example, add Shadow-Casting Lighting to objects within the Pixel Goods Store mod.) Also, any patches made to non-existing files won't be applied, and won't cause the game to crash, so a master mod to share assets and reduce unnecessary file space is quite feasible.

Wulf_Oman likes this.