1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback A way to lock down game difficulty for all players per server?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Callak, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Callak

Callak Void-Bound Voyager

Ok, I searched and found a related thread for this, and posted my feelings about this related topic, where I was informed by a moderator, apparently without even reading my remark, that I shouldn't necro two year old topics that wasn't related to the modern version of the game. It was then locked. However, it was basically on the same topic, and it IS applicable to the modern version of the game, or I would not have gone looking for the topic in the first place. Since old applicable topics seem to be taboo, I shall start my own.

First I must ask, is there a way to lock everyone into the same difficulty that logs into a server?

When everyone can play in the same world with different difficulties, it makes it easier for some to accomplish goals than others. For instance, if your working together with other people and your playing on Normal, but they are playing on casual, why would you ever go mining for ore when you can send your friend who doesn't drop ores if they die and never has to eat. Why would you play on die hard, when no one else has to do the same? There's also no accurate way to gauge accomplishment in the game either. One person might be playing casual, and build a whole city on a world out of advanced or rare materials easily while another on the same server playing the same amount of time and effort hasn't been able to accomplish even half as much because they actually have to be cautious as well as fill their bellies from time to time, or they might loose ore on their Normal mode, or their single life on die-hard.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    ravingrabidmoose likes this.
  2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

After scrolling through the Server Configuration file. I don't think you are able to.

Starbound difficulties are set on a character. Because of that then servers cannot set a default difficulty setting.

3. Callak

I'm very aware of this. This is exactly the problem, it creates a completely unbalanced and varied experience between players within the same world.

4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

The answer is its nope. The Server cannot control difficulty settings. Only admin settings for server commands.

The only way for people to have the same difficulty is they all make new characters with the specific difficulty.

5. Callak

I guess my suggestion then is to make this an option for server administrators.

6. Falx

Falx Void-Bound Voyager

Have you looked into any of the server wrappers? I would bet that a server wrapper has this capability, even if it is as rudimentary as only allowing characters created under X difficulty to play on that server.

7. Callak

No, primarily because I wouldn't have expected a wrapper to have that capability. I suppose it's an option.

8. mattmonkey24

mattmonkey24 Void-Bound Voyager

If a server wrapper has that ability, it would probably check when the player logs on to the server and if they aren't the right difficulty it would kick them off. It may also be possible to display a message saying "Make a character with X difficulty to play on this server" but that i'm not sure of

9. TheUnartist

TheUnartist Pangalactic Porcupine

Someone posted a similar thread recently, don't remember the exact title...
    I believe the consensus was to create or download a mod that changed every difficulty to behave exactly the same, then require that mod for the server.

10. ravingrabidmoose

ravingrabidmoose Void-Bound Voyager

Anyone have a specific mod that would work for what the OP is asking? I'd also like a way to set my servers difficulty.