1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ability to land on planets as well as other peoples ships?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by EndlessTags, Mar 2, 2017.

1. EndlessTags

EndlessTags Void-Bound Voyager

There has been talk of the next update adding space stations and satellites you can land on so this question has probably been asked before but would anyone else like the idea of ships having the ability to land on planets as well as having a cargo bay door which opens allowing stuff to be picked up and possibly transported to other planets for pixels. Also to take out your hoverbike and allow it to just drive back into the cargo bay. The cargo system could be such things as landing at a planet that has a colony the colony may have legal or illegal goods that need to be transported if you do legal goods you may be attacked by pirates(ai) but on multiplayer servers other player would have the ability to dock near your ship and enter it with specific aspects of the ship being alterable as well as the ability to steal stuff from specific chests. The colonies may have area for ships to land otherwise you will have to beam down and clear a spot for your ship to land it may be easier if the ship had a detachable cargo ship that was smaller so that the planet isn't taken up by the large ship if its fully upgraded.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

With teleportation, there is little reason to land a ship on a planet.

3. EndlessTags

I was thinking cargo that you would have to pick up via ship as in not using teleporters breaking something and taking it. It would be like lifted into the ship or such.

Axl4325 likes this.
  4. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

upload_2017-3-3_23-57-18.png

5. Axl4325

Axl4325 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually like the idea, because the ship feels so useless right now. If you could land, load cargo and get the ship damaged or assaulted it would feel like the ship is not just an object

6. MrVauxs

Your ship IS useless, it's just a decoration museom the least, storage at most.

Axl4325 and Evilfudge like this.
  7. Evilfudge

Evilfudge Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I support this idea too because there's soo much potential to improving the ship right now with this update. NPC villages at this point (besides hylotl cities) look so rustic and hardly the future colony i'd like to see in Starbound. Maybe a docking station would make it atleast more advanced. There could also be more quests related to cargo shipping.

Axl4325 likes this.
  8. EndlessTags

@Evilfudge @MrVauxs @Axl4325 Thanks all for your opinions I understand with ships having upgrades a fully upgraded Novakid train is extremely long which would be difficult but even if there was a small ship that was attached to your large ship and it can be slightly decorated but its main purpose is to go to villages and collect cargo. The other option is that of having your large ship hover above a village with a magnetic crane attached that bring items into a cargo bay within your large ship in turn this could also have a cargo door that while hovering opens allowing you to walk straight out of your ship and into the village. The idea of cargo from different villages allows the player to have to travel for a reason for example it may be a quest in which a hylotl village asks your to take valuable cargo which could possibly be hylotl museum artifacts and the quest is to deliver them to a planet that has this museum obviously this would require planets to be somewhat scripted the further you travel the more money you would earn this then unlocks the possibility of being a pirate and attacking other players ships in multiplayer and stealing their cargo (not personal items included only cargo missions would be available to take). This also adds the possibility of having destroyed ships floating in space that you board and take cargo from either sell it on a black market or legally. The cargo missions would be a decent variety you may have to deliver a herd of Fluffalos to another planet, this could then in turn allow the player to decide what kind of ship they'd like to have extended cargo bay (more cargo=more money) less cargo more ammunition for weapons the player could land at a shipyard type place in which they could switch out parts of the ship for a fee. If you read all of this thank you very much.

9. MrVauxs

Why not just make a pod? Like 20x20 room with a teleport which is undestructeable. That would be an interesting addition for survival mode or hardcore. Having not only be on the survace but also find the landing pod and use it to escape the planets orbit.
    Of course the pod is customizable in the ship. There would be a seperate room for it where everything in it is copied to the pod you land on planets.

10. Evilfudge

Evilfudge Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seeing that there's going to be space stations in the next update, cargo missions could probably go there too especially for things like resupply goods and whatnot. And, what I'd really like to see is asteroid and fuel mining, because cmon, all these moons with fuel and no mines whatsoever?

A question though, cargo delivery will definitely be different for hylotl cities cause of the whole underwater thing. So how do you propose to land ships there?

11. MrVauxs

Look up

12. EndlessTags

@Evilfudge @MrVauxs If it was a small pod it may be able to fly and go underwater like a submarine but if it was the idea that was stated before that the ship hovers above the land you can make your magnetic arm go down or such to collect it if any of you have seen star citizen it could work a little like an elevator platform which would float underwater to the ocean floor load it and it will go straight back up to the cargo area.

EDIT: In turn the Hyoltl underwater city may have a elevator within it which brings cargo to the surface.

In reply to Evilfudge's asteroid mines and such I think that is a good idea that could be incorporated into tis one as having supplies that may be near the mine that have been abandoned but could be sold for a couple thousand pixels or such. I think the elevator that is pretty much the bottom of the cargo bay could work as both a door and a platform which could possibly go underwater it would however be easier if your ship hovered of a cargo collection area that the Hylotl own. The idea is that you use the cargo bay how you wish you could possibly store a hoverbike truck if it was added the truck would drive out of the cargo bay and take the cargo and bring it back.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017