1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback About aqua ball...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shoebaskets, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shoebaskets

Shoebaskets Scruffy Nerf-Herder

After using aqua ball for a while, it feels like it's missing something when it comes to exploring water areas.

First, the ball appears to just add buoyancy to the distortion ball, which is to be expected since it's a ball that floats on water, but when I realised that's all this upgrade offers, I ran into a few other issues with it.

When it comes to getting over ocean planets, it's a really nice upgrade, the speed is great!
    But when it comes to exploring the ocean itself, well... it'd rather have me go to to the moon instead of exploring the ocean, and there's no other way to use it apart from traveling over the surface of the ocean, or quickly getting to the top of a body of water.

I feel like it needs something such as holding your jump key while in a body of water, it'd take away the buoyancy and allow you to roll across the bottom of the ocean, where if you let go of your jump key, you go back up, or something along those lines. I've ran into a problem where I tried to get under a small passageway in a flooded cave but i was slow getting through it since the buoyancy of the ball pushed me up against the passageway, which was slanted up as well, and that didn't help very much... Distortion ball would've had no issues with this, which is why I feel like aqua ball is underwhelming when it comes to exploring underwater areas. I feel like it should have the ability to swim instead of just being a quick method of getting across water, which would make it on-par utility wise with an upgrade like spike ball.

So, what's your thoughts about it everybody?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    evilnancyreagan likes this.
  2. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Well it's even further unappealing when you consider that you can simply buy the boat from Penguin Pete for the same effect of traversing bodies of water and be free to choose another head tech

3. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

IMO, the best techs are wall jump, spike ball and sprint OR air dash.

Most valuable tech goes to spike ball. It can get you almost anywhere when combined with something as simple as double jump. If used intelligently, it can make many parts of challenge rooms a breeze.

Spike ball is OP.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  4. IronSquid501

IronSquid501 Void-Bound Voyager

I've found wall jump to be more of a hindrance than a help, but Spike Ball is great. Haven't even looked at the other two because it takes the cake.

5. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

Wall jump gives you both double jump and all the height it brings as well as allowing you to quickly climb any wells, elevator shafts or even your own mining shafts. Whether mining on a moon or climbing that miniknog lab, wall jump is the best jump tech you can get.

6. IronSquid501

IronSquid501 Void-Bound Voyager

It also makes me slide along the wall & disrupts my jumps, I died multiple times because of wall jump tbh

7. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

I tend to favour Spike Ball, Air Dash and Quad jump.

Spike ball is definitely OP. I still havent tested Wall jump but i know i hate rocket jump.

8. Shoebaskets

Shoebaskets Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really a downer that you'd only really get the aqua ball tech if you haven't got the boat and travel to ocean planets a lot. Even then people wouldn't want to get aqua ball because it only really works in a single situation, whereas the usefulness of spike ball or sonic ball is apparent throughout the time you've got it, as caves and long stretches of land are more frequent than large enough bodies of water that would call for the use of aqua ball. It's a shame, since I have to admit I got it since I expected it to work in pools of tar and poison, where it'd let you get over those without being slowed or poisoned. I almost believed it'd work over lava too until I first used it in water, then I knew what would happen if I jumped into lava.

Spike ball is really good as it is right now, which is why aqua ball being so stale makes me begin to think there's no real choice to be had here when it's aqua ball over spike ball or sonic ball. Infact, spike ball is even better than aqua ball when it comes to getting through the bottom of the ocean, it sticks to the floor and moves faster than a swimming player.

Wall jump is kind of weird for me, since I feel like it's good but at the same time it isn't. It seems to shine at some moments such as being down a glitch well where you can safely slide down empty wells and jump back up, but when trying to get up more steeper hills on the surface, it sometimes unexpectedly makes you stick to a wall and your jump input then sends you away from the hill you want to get up. Wall jump heavily relies on how the cave was generated. A lot of the buildings and world generation rules aren't suited to wall jump. It feels like it's just there as a novelty tech that makes it fun to figure out how to platform up to somewhere, but something like multi jump can just jump up there before you've figured out how to get there. It's a pretty situational tech but it does feel really good when you get the opportunity to use it to its full potential.

9. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

Lesser known thing about the aqua ball, you can jump in ball form. Not super useful, but another feature of it.

10. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

@Shoebaskets

I think that wall jump might prove very good for the Challenge rooms actually.

The problem is, Spikeball makes those things so incredibly easy that wall jump would be wasted.

11. evilnancyreagan

+1 for your ability to provide helpful feedback in a constructive manner :)

(Also let this post serve as positive re-enforcement and encouragement for anyone else with feed back :sneaky:)

12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

none of the balls techs are any kind of amazing, they are of minor utility value where the spik ball probably has the upper hand.

well micromanaging the boat is annying too, i remember when the boat was boostable and you could "rip boost" it over the island, thats was fun, atm i prefer the ball over the boat, too mich clicking.

13. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If only aquaball let you cross the surface of the liquids instead of bobbing along the tops of them. As could then use it to potentially cross things like poison and lava oceans, as well as some of the other liquids. Otherwise Spike ball pretty much wins out for the ball techs. As if want to go fast, dash or a hoverbike seem to work much better than the sonic ball.

14. evilnancyreagan

if you hotkey it, the hassle is nearly neglible but, you're right, the aquaball is as easy as pressing the F key

however, you can shoot at birds from the boat. I'd do a tiny bit more clicking for that.

15. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

To rub it in a bit more, spike ball makes you move faster than walking under water. So it's actually better at exploring the ocean than aquaball.

Suggestion: Allow aquaball to effectively behave like most game's dev fly or toggle clip movement. W moves you up, S down, A and D left and right. No buttons: No movement. Wanna add a "slide" effect to fair it out a little bit and not make it super precise movement? Cool. But this would give aqua ball a clear reason to actually be taken as more than just a gimick. As it stands a couple thousand pixels makes aqua ball irrelevant. It's only clear purpose is Get me to the surface NOW!

16. evilnancyreagan

or replace it.

what was that one tech that would negate all fall damage and let you bounce around all silly like? That would be a good candidate.

OMG, remember Butterfly Boost? Propelled by farting out butterflies... :wtf:

17. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

If the Aqua Ball allowed swift underwater movement it'd at least be useful on Ocean Planets. By pressing Down you could descent quickly and by pressing Up you could do that only function it currently has- rise quickly

18. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh man I loved that silly bounce one! Jump off a cliff, energize the bounce thing, and take no damage (assuming you didn't run out of energy during a crazy high bounce)/ I'm sad to hear that it's gone (I am only a few hours into 1.0).
    Is there any kind of "balloon tech" that lets the player float endlessly upward? A way to escape from deep within a planet without undue domestic abuse on the spacebar, or a way to float above the riff-raff and sail the skies on a planet.

evilnancyreagan likes this.
  19. evilnancyreagan

Yeah, there used to be this energy field, antigravity tech that did exactly that, I'll be damned if I could remember it's name though.

20. Aurakiel

Aurakiel Space Spelunker

Personally, I love the aqua ball the way it is simply because it gets me from the bottom of ocean planets to the surface in no time. I can walk along the ocean floor no problem.