1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Wiring (help needed)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by UKFR, May 4, 2017.

1. UKFR

UKFR Space Hobo

HI to anyone that may accidentally click on this thread, whilst you are here maybe you might have the answer to a problem of mine. I've been building a decontamination chamber in my base that works in the following way:

- Clicking on the main terminal will close both doors locking the player inside the room.
    -At the same time two hatches open from the roof allowing liquid to submerge the player.
    -Once the liquid reaches a certain level it triggers a sensor.
    -Now the sensor activated, the drains open up releasing the liquid, and the room unlocks.

However, the time the player is submerged is too small for me and I wanted to make it longer by adding in a 5 second timer. Unfortunately the timer activates in a strange way. I have failed to install it in the way that I want. So if anyone knows how to set it up so that once the water triggers the sensor, the timer begins a countdown and when reaching zero it opens the drains, I would be very appreciative !!

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

2. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

3. UKFR

UKFR Space Hobo

Thank you for your speedy answer. I am using the "countdown timer" that can be set in between 1 and 5 seconds. I would effectively want to use the "timer 5 sec" that you posted in the link but the wiki says it is no longer present in the current build of the game.

The problem being with the countdown timer is that it only activates the drains during the 5 seconds that it is active and not at the end of the countdown.

4. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

hmm. could you possibly use a NOT gate here so the drains are active when the timer is off?

5. UKFR

UKFR Space Hobo

Unfortunately this means that the drains will be active from the moment the water enters and the liquid sensors will subsequently never trigger the timer :(

I've managed to work around the system and have scrapped the countdown timer for now. I'm using two consoles atm; one to trigger the doors the other controls the drainage system. It's not as automated as I would like but it could be worse.

6. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Couldnt you have both the countdown+NOT gate and the liquid sensors connected to an AND gate, and have that connected to the drains?

7. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

The countdown timer is the wrong one. You want a delay between the sensor activating and the drains opening, not something that alternates between off and on. For five seconds you want five 1 second delay gates, wired together with the liquid sensor attached to the first one and the drains attached to the last. That way the drains will activate five seconds after the liquid sensor is triggered. There is a mod with more delay gates, up to five seconds but I forget the name.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, there are two ways to set up a delay. One is with a bunch of delay gates, with all but the first having their input connected to the output of the previous one and the first one's being connected to the sensor, while the last one's output is connected to the drains. The other is more complicated, uses two countdown timers and an XOR switch and requires you to set up a system to convert the sensor's output into a non-continuous signal to work.

9. UKFR

UKFR Space Hobo

First of all thank you for the suggestions they have been a great help. I have set up a more or less functional system using the XOR switch (after much tweaking). I will play around some more with the wiring of the other suggestions to see if I can find a more reliable system.

In any case, for now I am happy with my decontamination chamber and will be moving on to other parts of the base!!