Adventurers, What's Your Favourite Monster?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TinySpaceFox, Jan 11, 2017.

1. grobe

grobe Void-Bound Voyager

You're right - I'd forgotten they were in that too! More Miyazaki wonderfulness

• Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

Dust sprites where called Susuwatari on Studio Ghibli movies, it means Wandering Dust or Wandering Coal

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I remember them as Soot Sprites or Dust Bunnies, depending on which movie. (Probably the english versions though.)

• Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

Soot is like the coal smoke? something like that?
          (i'm brazilian, don't really know 100% of the english vocabulary)

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

Not so much the smoke, but the black powdery dust that's left behind after a fire has burned out. I think that's why they were referred to as Soot Sprites in Spirited Away, since they were down in the boiler room, but in Totoro they were called Dust Bunnies because they lived in the shadows of an empty house, presumably where there would be lots of dust.

• Obesius

Obesius Big Damn Hero

Just took a look at google:
              http://spiritedaway.wikia.com/wiki/Sootballs
              The name on the japanese is Susuwatari (Susu meaning Soot, and Watari meaning something like migrating.)
              In the english they were soot sprites in the movies they eat a japanese candy made of sugar, it would be cool to have them add the same way slime's can be ranched, they would drop coal and rarely ores, we could feed them sugar.

Edit: oops forgot about the bunnies, this is a slang to the dust accumulating on one spot and forming the figure of "animals"
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_bunny
              http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dust bunnies

Both names fit really well o.o

• LuthienNightwolf

Omg yes! Wonder what would happen if we unleashed them on Pelican Town. lol

Sootballs.jpg

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Between them and the Slimes, they'd divvy up the territory.

Then there would be a star-crossed romance between a crazy, free-spirited Dust Sprite and a single-minded, world weary Slime. The resulting musical will be a Ferngill Republic smash hit:

/Dust Side Story/.

• Eikos

Eikos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stardew Valley: Monster Edition
                    The story of the Valley as told from the perspective of the Valley's various monster inhabitants.

• TinySpaceFox

TinySpaceFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wow, I notice lots of people seem to like the Dust Sprites :)

Personally, I always feel a little guilty about having to kill them, because they make the same noises as the Junimos ;~;

If Dust Sprite farming gets added in future, I'd love to play around with it (and perhaps even release a few in the house to torment my spouse). I'm also hoping the NPCs will actually react to seeing monsters around town/in their houses etc. Would be fun to watch.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                      • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I feel bad about killing them because some of them literally run away from you. It's the only monster who actively tries to avoid you. And you just go on and slaughter their family anyway ;.;
                        *Sigh* But I need that coal...

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

Serpents
                          [​IMG]
                          Because I love the Spicy Eel that they drops <3
                          Now I really hate the Mummy >_> I'm the kind of person that dislike to use potions in RPG's because I hate to waste, so a monster that only die if I throw a item is the worse of all!!!

Roskii Heiral and Jerev like this.
                          • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

*As Stardew Valley turns*

Today we talk to a mysterious farmer who has dust sprites, slimes, and jumimos on his farm. When asked why he has such unusual pets on his farm, the farmer replied that they are adorable and really help with the running on the farm. When asked how they help, the farmer gave an odd smile and said "just know that they do...and they are very helpful* When pressed further, the farmer declined to comment. How do these, uh, pets help with the farm? Find out...in As Stardew Valley turns!

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Dust sprites. They're cute, bouncy, and leave a gift of coal behind some times when you send them to the Great Waiting Room in the sky to prepare for rebirth as bicycle locks.

• A DOG NAMED BOOF

A DOG NAMED BOOF Intergalactic Tourist

The scariest I feel is the mummy, just for being a persistent pest.

The dust is the cutest.

• oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Dust sprites, slimes and rock crabs. Kinda wish i could get one as a pet instead of a cat or dog.

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

These guys: [​IMG]

I wanna know more about them