1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue All teleporter bookmarks are gone and ship moving without instruction

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by therustybagel, Aug 17, 2016.

1. therustybagel

therustybagel Poptop Tamer

Today I had to restart my computer due to a problem with my web browser that I had open at the time not wanting to close. I closed out of Starbound before I restarted my computer and then I restarted my computer. When it was done restarting I opened Starbound again and started playing. Something strange immediately happened when I joined back into the game. I was on my ship where I had left off but my ship was moving somewhere and I hadn't gave it instruction to do so. At the time I decided to just go with it and decided that this would be a good opportunity to explore a new solar system. Eventually I reached my destination and then I decided to go to my teleporter to beam down that way (even though I knew there was a button that automatically did that for you anyways without having to go to a teleporter). I noticed that all my bookmarks that I had were gone. Around 7-10 of them just vanished out of thin air including the ones for the Ark and the Outpost. The only option that was available from the teleporter was to beam down to the currently orbited planet. Is there any way I can get my bookmarks back so I don't have to live with this pain? Could I look around in the game files for the existence of my bookmarks and bring them back somehow?

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Trinosaur likes this.
  3. therustybagel

Really wish that Chucklefish would fix this. It's not cool that all my bookmarks just disappeared like that and I have to fix it myself. Also I discovered that all my progress on my outpost is gone too and that the outpost is kind of glitchy. It already made me upset that I had to go find my lost bookmarks but now I have to deal with all my outpost progress being gone as well. I don't really want to do anything about it until Chucklefish fixes it themselves. For now I just won't play the game until this is addressed. I could just fix it myself using that linked thread but it won't feel the same.

4. Iris Blanche

When starbound closes abrupt during a save process the file will render corrupted at a high chance. That is normal and will happen with nearly every software. The more save operations are done the higher the chance this can happen. Sure it is annoying when loosing data but this isn't really an issue caused by starbound itself when it gets closed in an unusual way. Even fallback functions won't work when it is a straight process kill. When any software is closed abrupt during a save-function the function will not be fully executed and therefore the file will not be written completly. If you want i can provide you a really detailed explanation on how this works.

~ Iris ~

5. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Provide me, I'd like to learn :sneaky:

6. Iris Blanche

A save process during the runtime of said software the save instructions are made by the program. Normally it's open file -> write contents -> close file. Writing the contents can be done by present libraries that are used by the software or manually by giving the instructions directly. Most common is writing the data to a buffer and then write the buffer to the file (can speedup the writetime for higher amount of data). Regardless of the method, the instructions will still come from the software itself. If it is closed abrupt then the software can't give the instructions anymore and the "file is open"-handle will also be released. When an exception is caused there is still the chance to use a fallback function and access the save function but this can only happen when the software is still running. Power outtages for example cause abrupt close (which is obvious >v<). A reboot/shutdown will also cause a abrupt close since all unknown processes for the system will receive a force-quit (SIGKILL on linux) and simply kill the affected process by their process id. This force-kill will not have any consideration for the save-function being executed completly. If an abrupt close doesn't hit that time where data is saved all will be fine, but if it does...well the data will render corrupted.
    Long story short: when the software doesn't run anymore every function, instructions etc will also stop being executed (included saving data).

As a sidenote: i suppose that the devs are aware of this behaviour and therefore added the automatic backups.

~ Iris ~

Geth270 likes this.
  7. therustybagel

So is there anything I can do to get an earlier version of my save file back or should I just refer to the link to that thread that you included earlier?

8. Iris Blanche

The link i referred provides all information about restoring backups and setting the universe uid to the same one like the bookmarks are related to :)

~ Iris ~

9. therustybagel

Thanks Iris. You've been really helpful. I'll let you know what the outcome of this situation is.