NPC Alter tenant payment mechanics based on house

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Urthdigger, May 7, 2016.

1. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Title Not Found

So, I've recently started a little project where I go around and build settlements across the various worlds I come across. Converting dungeons into homes, and using the natural resources of the world to build houses on the surface and outposts underground. On my first world, a lush planet with low resources, this means my choices of building materials are dirt, wood, cobblestone, clay, copper, and iron. I intend to reflect this in the building choices, with dirt hovels for slums, mass produced wooden quarters, copper buildings (or at least furnishings) for the upper crust, iron checkpoints for the guards, etc.

However, despite this disparity in living conditions, they'll all pay me the same rent: 100-300 pixels, or random crap. This... doesn't seem quite right. I think it may make more sense to have the pixel reward based on how expensive their dwellings are. Not sure how the calculation would work, but I'm imagining assigning a value to all the items that can make up a house (even items that do not have a pixel cost, so packed dirt would be worth a little more than regular dirt, and log blocks, wood planks, and cabin roofing would all be worth a little more than just wood), and using that total to determine rent.

Now, what SHOULD take into account the planetary biome is the items your tenants give you or have for sale. The items should be things that can be found in that biome, including whatever mini-biome they're in. So, for instance, I can build a foraging outpost in a giant flower biome to obtain giant flower petals and blueprints, or build a mining facility on a moon to acquire plutonium and liquid erchius.

I feel these changes would make the tenant system a lot more robust, by giving more of an incentive to spend your hard earned resources on furnishings, and to place your tenants someplace other than nightmare hellscapes.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

If it were easier to program, then maybe we'd expect it before 1.0. But I say we push for this as a post 1.0 feature.

soarin24 likes this.
  3. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Title Not Found

Well, yeah. Obviously first priority is getting all the juicy 1.0 stuff out there, but I do feel this would be a nice feature to incentivize building structures before one hits the progression cap and simply has nothing else to do.